• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Bobby Hauck / JMU relationship

ChicagoDuke

Interestingly, during Monday's press conference Hauck was asked about the stadium/atmosphere at JMU in 2008, and he praised the atmosphere, fans, etc. Then he got a follow-up:

Q: "Have you been back there since?"
A: "I've been through there, yeah. I checked it out. It's really a cool place. It will be a great place for a game Friday night."

But there was more to that answer that didn't come up. Not sure if y'all Griz fans realize this (haven't seen it discussed recently), but Bobby Hauck was the runner-up candidate for the JMU job when it was open in 2016. Mike Houston from Citadel ended up beating Hauck out for the gig. According to reporting he was on-campus interviewing for the job, so I suspect he got a proper tour of the campus and facilities.

So yeah, he's been through there. And I wonder if getting passed over for the job adds a little extra motivation. I guess we'll find out Friday.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2016/01/19/citadel-head-football-coach-houston-leaving-for-james-madison/

ChicagoDuke said:
Interestingly, during Monday's press conference Hauck was asked about the stadium/atmosphere at JMU in 2008, and he praised the atmosphere, fans, etc. Then he got a follow-up:

A: "I've been through there, yeah. I checked it out. It's really a cool place. It will be a great place for a game Friday night."

But there was more to that answer that didn't come up. Not sure if y'all Griz fans realize this (haven't seen it discussed recently), but Bobby Hauck was the runner-up candidate for the JMU job when it was open in 2016. Mike Houston from Citadel ended up beating Hauck out for the gig. According to reporting he was on-campus interviewing for the job, so I suspect he got a proper tour of the campus and facilities.

So yeah, he's been through there. And I wonder if getting passed over for the job adds a little extra motivation. I guess we'll find out Friday.

https://www.abccolumbia.com/2016/01/19/citadel-head-football-coach-houston-leaving-for-james-madison/

Ohhh, a wrinkle. I’m pretty sure you just made this up. There is no way no one from Montana has never heard this.

alabamagrizzly said:
ChicagoDuke said:

Ohhh, a wrinkle. I’m pretty sure you just made this up. There is no way no one from Montana has never heard this.

😈😊

So glad he didn't get it in 2016, probably wouldn't made it back to Montana when he did. Would have been a great hire by JMU. Now they about to lose to a coach they could have had. :)

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/12/7/22818684/fcs-playoffs-coach-john-stiegelmeier-kc-keeler-bobby-hauck-mark-ferrante-curt-cignetti-randy-sanders

Good news ChicagoDuke, thank you for sharing and lets assume there is some truth in the story. JMU is an Attractive job, given the school, history, athletic budget, athletic facilities, etc. What I must point out to you, in the football coaching business it is very, very common for individuals to take interviews with several schools (in order to meet athletic directors and stay current on everything).
Additionally a head coach (boss) like Rocky Long would say "heck yeah, get your name in there." So if Bobby Hauck interviewed at JMU, you shouldn't assume that he has any adverse feelings about the job selection decision. A coach may interview for an Open Job without 100% wanting the job (unless all the answers are perfect- as an example the interview might have gone well except when JMU told Bobby that they 100% want to move FBS).

ChicagoDuke said:
Interestingly, during Monday's press conference Hauck was asked about the stadium/atmosphere at JMU in 2008, And I wonder if getting passed over for the job adds a little extra motivation. I guess we'll find out Friday.

alabamagrizzly said:
ChicagoDuke said:

Journalism is surely dead, but from the article:

"The guy Houston beat out for the job was Bobby Hauck, who was also on campus Monday in Harrisonburg. Hauck is the former head coach at both Montana and UNLV. He’s now at San Diego State."

I thought this thread was going to be about Bobby's coaching record vs. JMU in Harrisonburg, where he's 1-0. 😉

alabamagrizzly said:

This one made me laugh. The linguistic gymnastics required to unpack the triple negative makes it nearly impossible to definitely know what AlabamaGriz was attempting to say.

Proud Griz Man said:
Good news ChicagoDuke, thank you for sharing and lets assume there is some truth in the story. JMU is an Attractive job, given the school, history, athletic budget, athletic facilities, etc. What I must point out to you, in the football coaching business it is very, very common for individuals to take interviews with several schools (in order to meet athletic directors and stay current on everything).
Additionally a head coach (boss) like Rocky Long would say "heck yeah, get your name in there." So if Bobby Hauck interviewed at JMU, you shouldn't assume that he has any adverse feelings about the job selection decision. A coach may interview for an Open Job without 100% wanting the job (unless all the answers are perfect- as an example the interview might have gone well except when JMU told Bobby that they 100% want to move FBS).

ChicagoDuke said:
Interestingly, during Monday's press conference Hauck was asked about the stadium/atmosphere at JMU in 2008, And I wonder if getting passed over for the job adds a little extra motivation. I guess we'll find out Friday.

Let me get this straight: you're suggesting that Bobby Hauck, who was living in San Diego at the time, would fly 2300 miles across the entire country to interview for a job that he didn't actually want? That he wasn't interested in a job that pays double what Montana pays? And he would do this just to meet the AD and "stay current on everything", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Sure.

ChicagoDuke said:
Let me get this straight: you're suggesting that Bobby Hauck, who was living in San Diego at the time, would fly 2300 miles across the entire country to interview for a job that he didn't actually want? That he wasn't interested in a job that pays double what Montana pays? And he would do this just to meet the AD and "stay current on everything", whatever that's supposed to mean.

Sure.

That is correct. It is actually pretty common. If you want to learn more you will find similar example on this board. Just use the search terms “recruit” or “transfer” in conjunction with “didn’t want him anyway”. Should find plenty of examples.

What Chicago Duke is saying is accurate. But Bobby is back where he belongs so it really doesn't matter.

ChicagoDuke said:
Proud Griz Man said:

Sure.

iu

ChicagoDuke said:
alabamagrizzly said:

This one made me laugh. The linguistic gymnastics required to unpack the triple negative makes it nearly impossible to definitely know what AlabamaGriz was attempting to say.
iu

ChicagoDuke said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Maybe for a JMU-educated person it doesn’t make sense. For Griz grads, it makes PERFECT sense. :lol: :lol:

Well I for one am thankful that you guys passed on him. Plus it worked out pretty well for you guys any way with Mike Houston. That man can flat out coach!

ChicagoDuke said:

I heard that JMU alumni ski with jeans on and wear sunglasses instead of goggles.

Bobby also was offered the head coach job at San Diego AFTER he was already back in Missoula and he turned them down. I posted it here and tons of folks jumped my ass saying I was wrong. I wasn't. The mods even pulled the post after PR verified every word I stated. I got the info straight from the President of the GSA who got it straight from Haslam. This is Bobby's last head coaching gig. He told me face-to-face he ain't taking any other job and he'll leave when he retires or gets fired. Long live Bobby!

I'd think a coach from two time zones away, with few to no connections to regional prep coaches, wouldn't be a likely finalist.

Back