• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

East Coast Arrogance

1983 Griz

Long time reader, first time poster.

I am a firm believer that a key component of success is a healthy respect for your adversary - whether in business or sports. Over the years, I have experienced first-hand, business professionals from parts east of the Mississippi display a condescending attitude toward me and my Montana colleagues. It is like they thought they were dealing with Jed Clampett.

Since Saturday, I have received texts from current and former east coast residents feeling the need to explain the superiority of the CAA and the weakness of the Big Sky. They use the first game losses of Davis and Sac State to illustrate their point. They do not believe the Grizzlies belong on the same field as JMU and that the Dukes are going "destroy" the Griz.

Let me be clear, I have the utmost admiration for JMU and their football team. This not about the team or the majority of their fans. This is about an arrogance that has proven ineffective against Bobby and this group of Grizzlies. Just ask Talolo Limu-Jones how it worked out for the Eagles on Friday night. As Bobbie said in the post-game press conference - "Don't poke the Bear".

Up with Montana Boys!

Having attended the 2004 chipper against JMU, I can speak first hand of the arrogance. While it isn’t fair to put all their fans in this category, I will say we have never met a fan base as arrogant as a whole. My wife and I still have a healthy hatred for them. The best thing the Griz can do is knock them off this Friday night and be the end to their FCS existence.

83, post more.

Their board was loaded with that stuff in 2008 as well. They called us soft, didn’t play defense, and called the bsc “big fluff”. Then we went in there on a cold Friday night, physically dominated them, and completely throttled them in the semis.

I think their knowledgeable fans have a little different viewpoint this time around.

Then again, there are our friends in Boone. My experience is that eastern arrogance and bias tends to fade the further south one gets.

EverettGriz said:
83, post more.

Their board was loaded with that stuff in 2008 as well. They called us soft, didn’t play defense, and called the bsc “big fluff”. Then we went in there on a cold Friday night, physically dominated them, and completely throttled them in the semis.

I think their knowledgeable fans have a little different viewpoint this time around.

I went to the game in 2008 and we were seated right next to the student section. I have never witnessed such arrogance from an entire crowd, not just the students. After it looked like we were going to win, most "fans" around us became bitter, threw their stupid streamers low and hard and tried to hit us in the face, and threatened us on the way out of the stadium after they lost. Horrible experience and I met maybe three JMU fans that weren't arrogant and seemed like decent humans.

EverettGriz said:
83, post more.

And how did they do against their FBS opponent? :!:

Oh wait. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Based on the opponent W-L records', the Griz and JMU had fairly comparable seasons. But UM played three teams ranked in the top-10. Yes, the two losses came in those games, but the Griz just got payback on one of those in the playoffs. JMU played one highly ranked team during the regular season ... and they lost. Give them credit, JMU did well against SELA. But, overall they sure do not have a lot to puff their chests out about.

I remember some folks in Huntington West Virginia that weren't terribly worried about the Griz either, once.

The game is played on the field, not on message boards. JMU hasn't seen such a tenacious defense all year. Good luck to all the players while we do 12 oz curls.

Fans maybe over confident, but the JMU players and coaches will not be. But, if they are, so be it. ;)

Yukon said:
Fans maybe over confident, but the JMU players and coaches will not be. But, if they are, so be it. ;)
Just looking at the starting positions for the Griz over the last two games ... if they Special Teams coach(es) aren't working overtime on that, they're idiots. (But I suspect they are ... that's a damn good program over there.)

Ursa Major said:
Then again, there are our friends in Boone. My experience is that eastern arrogance and bias tends to fade the further south one gets.

I think it also has something to do with elevation. As well :thumb:

Mountain schools are just different.

Dude, just spend a weekend in Bozeman. You'll hear some least coaster bragging about being the first person ever to descend a stretch Montana river, ski out of bounds, or climb a particular peak.

Then, they'll inform you that the state was founded by members of the Ku Klux Klan and look doubtfully upon you when you mention that you were actually born in Montana, because they've never encountered anyone who was.

I hope they are arrogant. In fact I hope they totally over look the Griz and prepare for NDSU the following week. I highly doubt the JMU coaches or players will do that. As far as their fans are concerned I could care less about them let them have their illusion of superiority. That will make it much more fun when Griz beat them.

griz4life said:
Dude, just spend a weekend in Bozeman. You'll hear some least coaster bragging about being the first person ever to descend a stretch Montana river, ski out of bounds, or climb a particular peak.

Then, they'll inform you that the state was founded by members of the Ku Klux Klan and look doubtfully upon you when you mention that you were actually born in Montana, because they've never encountered anyone who was.

that's a surprisingly accurate take. and despite not actually knowing anyone who was born in the state and having lived there only a year or two themselves they will say they are "from Bozeman." 5 years of residency equates to being a real local to these posers. add bobcat merch for effect.

Yes...Northeaster think as themselves superior both in education ( Ivy League ) and in life ...the world evolves around
them period...esp..Washington DC to Boston the elites..why would it be any different in sports! I'm excited for the game..
unleash the Bear! Go GRIZ

1983 Griz said:
Long time reader, first time poster.

I am a firm believer that a key component of success is a healthy respect for your adversary - whether in business or sports. Over the years, I have experienced first-hand, business professionals from parts east of the Mississippi display a condescending attitude toward me and my Montana colleagues. It is like they thought they were dealing with Jed Clampett.

Since Saturday, I have received texts from current and former east coast residents feeling the need to explain the superiority of the CAA and the weakness of the Big Sky. They use the first game losses of Davis and Sac State to illustrate their point. They do not believe the Grizzlies belong on the same field as JMU and that the Dukes are going "destroy" the Griz.

Let me be clear, I have the utmost admiration for JMU and their football team. This not about the team or the majority of their fans. This is about an arrogance that has proven ineffective against Bobby and this group of Grizzlies. Just ask Talolo Limu-Jones how it worked out for the Eagles on Friday night. As Bobbie said in the post-game press conference - "Don't poke the Bear".

Up with Montana Boys!
Being Butte born and raised, I get that kind of treatment a lot in the area of South Carolina I live. But, I notice, when I reply I am Montana born, they give me that look of bewilderment and I know I have to add the sobriquet that Montana is in the North Rockies. But, everyone seems to know about Butte. And, the Griz. Lots of FCS schools withing a 500 mile radius of my Midlands home near Aiken. But, very few South Carolinians would ever be as condescending as some in Virginia. Living in the South is fun. Fun, slower, and different, and always polite.

jh said:
I remember some folks in Huntington West Virginia that weren't terribly worried about the Griz either, once.

Ha Ha, exactly what I was thinking!

GrizLA said:
... Lots of FCS schools within a 500 mile radius of my Midlands home near Aiken. But, very few South Carolinians would ever be as condescending as some in Virginia. Living in the South is fun. Fun, slower, and different, and always polite.
My southern in-laws are in Alabama ... the true "Deep South." They would never be impolite, and that would include respect -- without condescension -- for others. (They might have those feelings, but they'd never be so uncouth as to show it.) Sports fans will, naturally, be different. But, with their success over the years ... How could you expect anything else.

For those who remember way back (my father-in law, since passed, graduated from Auburn): "Punt 'Bama Punt."

Back