• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"touchdown" tommy merlot

Tough gamer who can run like the wind….but also seems to struggle mightily with the pass. Think they’ve tried this for years now with Chris Murray and then Troy and now Tommy. Will get some wins out of it but will eventually get stuffed.

daGrizJ said:
The Cats will be lucky if they score 1 TD against SHSU.

I don’t know, shsu gave up a lot of yards and points to Incarnate Word yesterday (granted almost all of those yards were in the pass game). Almost lost the game and didn’t look all that great. They will definitely be tougher than UT Martin though.

Kid's a freshman and yesterday it was really windy there so it's tough to totally judge if he has the skills that would translate to being a true dual-threat QB at this level. He's a tough SOB and runs well when playing against defenses that can't contain him. I'd assume MSU is going to look at a transfer or two to help the QB room but if they want to just keep their offense as a run-heavy/option offense, he seems like a good fit.

I think the cats just used this week’s bye game against Remy Martin to get Merlot some experience. I think they know they have to play Rovig to have any shot against real teams

HookedonGriz said:
Tough gamer who can run like the wind….but also seems to struggle mightily with the pass. Think they’ve tried this for years now with Chris Murray and then Troy and now Tommy. Will get some wins out of it but will eventually get stuffed.

Pretty fair assessment. But he played well for his first career start in 50 mph winds. At least we have a qb that has a burning desire to play. Might not have the abilities of some other qbs we will see, but I feel much better about our qb situation than I did two weeks ago.

HookedonGriz said:
daGrizJ said:

I don’t know, shsu gave up a lot of yards and points to Incarnate Word yesterday (granted almost all of those yards were in the pass game). Almost lost the game and didn’t look all that great. They will definitely be tougher than UT Martin though.

UIW is a very good team, which would also destroy the Cats, and SHSU had their worst focus game I've watched this year. They have athletes ay every position that are big, strong, and fast. Everything I have seen from the Cats this year has been dull and washed out like the TV picture of yesterday's game.

2019 MT Gatorade POY

Press Release:

Grady Bennett (former Griz QB) -

“I don’t think we’ve seen anyone as dominant in Montana as Tommy Mellott for a very long time,” Glacier head coach Grady Bennett said in a press release today. “He’s just at another level, and he can do it all. If you’re even close to being successful at taking away one part of his game, he'll crush you with another part."

state is fortunate that UT Martin wasn't able to suit up their conference Offensive MVP QB... and instead faced his 1-1 backup.

BWahlberg said:
Kid's a freshman and yesterday it was really windy there so it's tough to totally judge if he has the skills that would translate to being a true dual-threat QB at this level. He's a tough SOB and runs well when playing against defenses that can't contain him. I'd assume MSU is going to look at a transfer or two to help the QB room but if they want to just keep their offense as a run-heavy/option offense, he seems like a good fit.

You’re right the kid is just a Freshman so his passing game should improve. Yet thus far he hasn’t shown an ability to pass. I was at their Idaho game. Kid’s running ability was al la Troy Andersen but his one down field throw was an off target floater and certainly a pick if Vandal DB wasn’t so bad.

The cats won’t win without some passing threat. Roving better be getting some reps this week. Tommy can rotate in and out, or go into the backfield. Yet if MSU is 80-20 run-pass (with 35% completion rate) Sam Houston will stack the box and destroy them like the Grizzlies did.

Grizzlies1982 said:
BWahlberg said:

You’re right the kid is just a Freshman so his passing game should improve. Yet thus far he hasn’t shown an ability to pass. I was at their Idaho game. Kid’s running ability was al la Troy Andersen but his one down field throw was an off target floater and certainly a pick if Vandal DB wasn’t so bad.

The cats won’t win without some passing threat. Roving better be getting some reps this week. Tommy can rotate in and out, or go into the backfield. Yet if MSU is 80-20 run-pass (with 35% completion rate) Sam Houston will stack the box and destroy them like the Grizzlies did.

The 3 time class AA All State QB can throw deep. Proved it many times over the years.

IntuitiveGriz said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

The 3 time class AA All State QB can throw deep. Proved it many times over the years.

In college? I didn’t see much of it, but I didn’t watch all of their games.

Filthy McGrizzly said:
Tommy is a gamer. Would have loved seeing him in maroon.

Haven't you been reading EGriz?
We can't get good QBs here.
All we're asking for is a QB that can run like Mellott and throw like EB3. That can't be hard to find. :? :? :?

HookedonGriz said:
daGrizJ said:

Like the Griz, SHSU gives up nothing on the ground. Loose against the pass. Cats have no pass. Like against the Griz, poor matchup for the cats.

kemajic said:
HookedonGriz said:
Like the Griz, SHSU gives up nothing on the ground. Loose against the pass. Cats have no pass. Like against the Griz, poor matchup for the cats.

Yes I agree. They will duplicate the Griz approach of completely shutting down the run and it will be tough for the Cats O. Cats may seriously have to consider bringing in Rovig to throw and rotating Tommy for more run downs.

Back