• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

O-Line last night

heightsgriz

eGriz Club
I rarely watch the O-Line very closely during games and I know next to nothing about blocking schemes. That said, I noticed throughout the game that our linemen were making more blocks downfield than I've seen this year. They showed speed and a bit of nastiness getting out on sweeps and they looked like they were enjoying themselves.
Was that a change of scheme, having healthy players, or was it a reflection on E Washington's Defense?
Whatever it was, it was great to see.
Any comments from those who coach/scheme the O-Line?

I have zero knowledge of scheme, but one thing that was obvious was the OL doing some cut blocking which allowed the RB to get good yardage on a couple running plays. That was effective and fun to watch.

Running the ball outside seems to be so much more effective for us than running inside.

Simply, they earned the recognition after last nights performance. Best performance for them all year. I think having a more dynamic game plan is instrumental in that. When you back defenses off the line with a few quick hitters like we have against MSU and EWU they stop stacking the box on first down. We handled pressure well for the most part last down. When there was a breakdown, cam did a good job trusting them and stepping up into the pocket and escaping minus when they spied their middle linebacker. Motion with flowers, Bergen and Xavier really forces a team to have sound responsibilities so they have to give away coverage or shift to their strength. We are finically playing to our strength’s and getting the ball in our best players hands. This is the offense we thought we’d have minus Knight.

BDizzle said:
Running the ball outside seems to be so much more effective for us than running inside.

This we had guys pulling and hitting the edges. This is where our offense is good. In space.

Back