• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: Friday night revenge

BWahlberg

DONOR
In front of just over 24,000 fans it was one incredible evening watching Montana get revenge on the Eagles. EWU, as we all know, beat Montana in a game where the Griz were in charge for a great portion of the game, just to see it melt away late on the electric play of Eric Barriere. This time around, the fireworks started 10 minutes before kickoff and continued on the field through the whole game. It's been a great few weeks to be a Griz fan, beating the cats ass, getting a seed, and then beating EWU's ass and now on to the quarterfinals. The crowd was electric, and once again - Montana came out with a game plan that many didn't expect that worked really well on offense, and did enough on defense to help put the game well out of reach for EWU in the 4th quarter.

I know I'm about 12 hours late getting this up - I might've gone out an celebrated the win a little, but here's a few overall thoughts:

- I was getting worried when it was 21-10 that EWU was just going to burn the defense all night like they had for an early 3 TDs. Then... Gavin Robertson put Talolo Limu Jones on his ass, and then Robby put Dennis Merrit on his ass. Both plays reviewed for targeting. The defense's reaction after they knew Gavin, and then Robby, weren't going to get tossed was huge. They were FIRED UP, they suddenly got out of that early funk and played like the imposing team we've known them to be. EWU scored 21 points in 16:06 of clock time and then after these hits scored 20 more over the course of the next 34:00. I sincerely believe that was the key turning moment of the game. It lead to a blocked punt, then a UM TD making it a 1 point game - and then at the start of the 2nd half the Griz would take the lead and never give it back.

- I'd said in my scouting report that I really want Montana to get Flowers as many touches as possible. The guy opened with a 75 yard TD... wow. Love how this coaching staff has been continually working to get the ball into our best playmakers hands.

- While we wait on the JMU v SELA game I think many of us expect that last night was probably the last time we'll see our seniors play in WA Griz. Sammy Akem saved his best game (so far) of 2021 for then. 104 yards and 2 TDs - breaking the Montana receiving TD record too. As one of the most physically dominant WRs we've ever had I'm glad he was able to have such a special night in front of all of us.

- Justin Ford has put together a season I would assume we'll never see again. 9 interceptions and 3 scored TDs. Are you kidding me? I'm sure he got some guff for throwing that ball into the stands... but honestly... I love it. EWU's plan was to stay away from him - but the Grizzly pressure forced one errant EB3 throw - that Justin took to the house.

- I loved what Montana did on defense. It wasn't as high of pressure as other games, but was well timed quite often. As the Griz extended their lead Baer backed off the blitzes and made EWU earn it all. The Weber/cat/UNI games showed the Griz defense that if EWU can't score in fast chunks, they'll chew the clock and then tighten up as the field shortens. Yes EWU got some massive numbers, but this time around it all fit into the plan that lead to a decisive Montana win.

- The Grizzly O-line might've had their best game of the year. I want to re-watch the game but it just seemed like, save a few sacks and stops, the OL had a great night.

- More wrinkles on offense that EWU couldn't anticipate. The ongoing evolution of this offense is something that our last few opponents couldn't handle.

- Got to give props to both EB3 and... yes... Limu Jones. Both great players. Yes both are big talkers, but they back it up with their play on the field. As a Griz fan, I'm damn glad both are graduating. Both were on the field for quite some time after the game. Eric was hugging Griz players, and it looked like Talolo was having a long conversation with Bobby. Seems to me that Bobby usually goes out of his way to have talks with kids on the other team that he really respects.

- Montana's special teams continues to be a difference maker in games that is usually missed in the stat book. Boomschini smashing punts, Money Macia$, big kick and punt returns, blocking kicks. It's an astounding advantage that has really helped the Griz.

---------

Alright Griz, let's keep this rolling! It's looking like JMU at the moment, but who knows. I love the mind-set of this team right now. It's been such a great season and I hope this fun continues!

Go Griz!

Thanks BDub. What a fun (albeit at times stressful) night. It’s a great day to be a GRIZZLY!!

Question, how many EWU false starts were attributed to the crowd noise? I know I lost count but anyone have a more accurate count?

UMcheer2000 said:
Question, how many EWU false starts were attributed to the crowd noise? I know I lost count but anyone have a more accurate count?
Box score recorded 6 EWU penalties for 30 yards ... so, all five-yarders. I can only recall (vaguely) one possible offsides, so I'd guess most of those were false starts. Crowd induced? Who knows.

IdaGriz01 said:
UMcheer2000 said:
Box score recorded 6 EWU penalties for 30 yards ... so, all five-yarders. I can only recall (vaguely) one possible offsides, so I'd guess most of those were false starts. Crowd induced? Who knows.

I recall there were at least 2-3 EWU penalties due to the crowd noise when they were going for it on 3rd/4th down.

1-2 were drive killers and they had to settle for a punt and another instance, turnover on downs? 3rd quarter?

Because I was so pumped up!

*Brint, I enjoy your writeups! Props and appreciations! Funny, I was clicking it a couple hours after the game out of habit even though it's been a while (was on a different account but finally able to log on this original one).

Totally understandable that you've been out celebrating.

Great write-up, Brint! I think it encapsulates how many of us feel about this team and those seniors. What a ride this season has been starting with that upset at Montlake.

BTW, I counted the use of the word ‘ass’ four times in the write up. No need to work blue, you’re way too talented for that.

AllWeatherFan said:
I’ve never experienced a Griz crowd that engaged in a game. It was fun to be a part of it.

There was a video shot of the whole stadium shining their smartphone screens... it was really something on TV

UMcheer2000 said:
I recall there were at least 2-3 EWU penalties due to the crowd noise when they were going for it on 3rd/4th down.

1-2 were drive killers and they had to settle for a punt and another instance, turnover on downs? 3rd quarter?

Because I was so pumped up!
EWU was 2 of 4 on fourth down conversions ... so, two turnovers on downs. They had 7 punts, but did not try even one FG. I thought they were in FG range a couple times, so I'm guessing they didn't have a lot of confidence in their kicker. Or they figured they were going to need touchdowns ... and they were right about that. :D

Thanks for the writeup Brint. Looming forward to some pre-game analysis of Griz-JMU. Looks like, to the uninitiated me, that our secondary is in for a tough ride

BWahlberg said:
Then... Gavin Robertson put Talolo Limu Jones on his ass, and then Robby put Dennis Merrit on his ass. Both plays reviewed for targeting. The defense's reaction after they knew Gavin, and then Robby, weren't going to get tossed was huge. They were FIRED UP, they suddenly got out of that early funk and played like the imposing team we've known them to be. the key turning moment of the game. It lead to a blocked punt, then a UM TD making it a 1 point game - and then at the start of the 2nd half the Griz would take the lead and never give it back.
Great writeup BW - thank you for your commentary.

I agree that the Gavin R and Robby H plays were important in turning momentum to the home team. Following those plays, EWU lined their offense to go-for-it on 4th down and 2 yards to go, then got a procedure penalty, which caused them to change their decision to punt on 4th down (resulting in the blocked punt).

The sacks our o line gave up all seemed to be on Cam if I remember right.

If the o line plays like that and we can get Cam to get the ball out of bounds instead of taking sacks we will be very hard to beat the rest of the way.

BadlandsGrizFan said:

If the o line plays like that and we can get Cam to get the ball out of bounds instead of taking sacks we will be very hard to beat the rest of the way.

Cam simply does not throw the ball away, ever. I am not defending him nor explaining why he does it. It's just a fact, and has been true since he first took the field for the Griz.

'68griz said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Cam simply does not throw the ball away, ever. I am not defending him nor explaining why he does it. It's just a fact, and has been true since he first took the field for the Griz.
Seems to me he did pitch it away once or twice in yesterday's game. But I could be wrong ... he might have really meant for it to go to a receiver and missed the mark (if you get my drift).

Ursa Major said:
Great write-up, Brint! I think it encapsulates how many of us feel about this team and those seniors. What a ride this season has been starting with that upset at Montlake.

BTW, I counted the use of the word ‘ass’ four times in the write up. No need to work blue, you’re way too talented for that.

I’m guessing that was the hangover talking.

thanks b/w for all your written efforts regarding Griz football......I really look forward to all of them....go Griz !

Brint, with all do respect you do need to clean up your language. Example, the use of “ass” is in appropriate. What you should use in the future is “fanny “ as in we kicked their fannies or is it fanny’s? Anyway you should try and be more politically correct in the future. Any Eastern Washington can kiss my ass!

Sport said:
Brint, with all do respect you do need to clean up your language. Example, the use of “ass” is in appropriate. What you should use in the future is “fanny “ as in we kicked their fannies or is it fanny’s? Anyway you should try and be more politically correct in the future. Any Eastern Washington can kiss my ass!

totally agree! Otherwise fans of certain teams might think we are just a bunch of potty mouths and that our fans and team are both dirty

IdaGriz01 said:
UMcheer2000 said:
They had at least one illegal receiver downfield.

Latest posts

Back