• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Gubner vs Zebras

floridagriz15

Only took them a day and a half of office work to figure it out...

“Montana sophomore nose tackle Alex Gubner will be able to play the full game this week after his ejection from Saturday’s game for targeting and subsequent suspension for the first half this Saturday was overturned Tuesday, the Big Sky Conference told the Missoulian and 406mtsports.com.”

Loved this quote tho.
“Because replay was down during the second half of the Montana-Idaho football game when the called penalty in question occurred, the Big Sky Coordinator of Football Officials immediately initiated the process after the game for the play to be reviewed so it could be confirmed or overturned,” Big Sky assistant commissioner Tyson Rodgers wrote in an email.“

100% obvious it wasn't targeting with one quick glance at a replay, but you still fully expected the bsc (#bsc) to somehow fvck it up.

Some how I see a dozen BSC officials huddled around a video hood for 72 hours until they were able to make the right call…

Buttegrizzle said:
Some how I see a dozen BSC officials huddled around a video hood for 72 hours until they were able to make the right call…

I considered giving them a deal, I’d buy them an ESPN+ subscription for the month or I’d burn a DVD copy of SWX for them which ever they prefer

If that ref had espn on his phone, he could have looked at the play a dozen times.
Instead he stared at the replay control he was holding like it was a block of wood.

How about they got it right. The problem with sports anymore is fans expecting perfection from humans. Replay wasn’t working. Ref called it how he saw it and he was wrong. Move along. High school sports can’t find enough refs. Why would anyone want to deal with asshat fans as a ref anymore? Guess where BSC refs start officiating? The problem is only going to get worse. Maybe fans should try reffing for one game. See how easy it is

Copper Griz said:
How about they got it right. The problem with sports anymore is fans expecting perfection from humans. Replay wasn’t working. Ref called it how he saw it and he was wrong. Move along. High school sports can’t find enough refs. Why would anyone want to deal with asshat fans as a ref anymore? Guess where BSC refs start officiating? The problem is only going to get worse. Maybe fans should try reffing for one game. See how easy it is

Respectfully, no. They didn’t get it right. The conference got it right days later. The officiating crew screwed up.

At this level of competition, this was an unacceptable level of incompetence, and not just on this call. There were several incorrect calls made by out of position officials looking at the wrong part of the play. These were not judgement calls, they were technical mistakes.

I agree that refereeing is hard and that a hole fans don’t help, but that doesn’t ameliorate the responsibility to perform at a higher level than is consistently shown by Big Sky referee crews.

FireGriz said:
Copper Griz said:

Respectfully, no. They didn’t get it right. The conference got it right days later. The officiating crew screwed up.

At this level of competition, this was an unacceptable level of incompetence, and not just on this call. There were several incorrect calls made by out of position officials looking at the wrong part of the play. These were not judgement calls, they were technical mistakes.

I agree that refereeing is hard and that a hole fans don’t help, but that doesn’t ameliorate the responsibility to perform at a higher level than is consistently shown by Big Sky referee crews.

Great post.

Buttegrizzle said:
Imagine the donut consumption.

Copper Griz said:

The problem with the entire concept (targeting) is that from the ref's perspective, if the helmet comes off, they almost always call it, even when it clearly wasn't.

Maybe we should take the ref's off the field? And put them ALL in a booth with one guy down there to dole out adjudication seen from the booth and replays. That way all the missed calls would get called and the game could go on for 5 hours...

Copper Griz said:

As a former NCAA basket official, I laugh at all of the caustic comments made by fans about the refs. There are actually some Griz fans who have posted that the Big Sky refs should negative bias towards Montana teams. That is a crock!

As you stated, these refs are human, and make mistakes. It happens at every level, from high school to the NFL. But these mistakes usually even-out over a season as far as hurting or benefiting a team. It is just another part of the game, and blaming refs for every ill is ridiculous.

I'll never forget a Sentinel game that I officiated with Bob Sheridan, back in the late 1970s. They played Great Falls High, ranked #1 in the state at the time. With GF up by one point with seconds left in the game, the Sentinel star guard drove the lane for a potential game-winning shot. A GF player took the charge, and, as the underneath official, I made the call of an offensive charge, versus the block, which the entire crowd at the Sentinel gym thought would have been the proper call. Sentinel lost by a single point. Of course, the crowd was all over us officials as we left the court, believing that we had blown a certain blocking foul against GF. However, Bob Luoma, the classy Sentinel head BB coach, grabbed me by the arm, and told me that I had made the proper call. It gave me a huge sigh of relief, but also solidified the fact that any close call can elicit a different perspective from a biased fan base.

FireGriz said:
Copper Griz said:

'They' made the wrong call. Specifically 'WHO' was is that f*cked up, by name? Wrong call resulted in EJECTION from the game. Can't fix that. Had an effect on the game. Can't fix that. Removal of the ref(s) from the game would be proper.

3-7-77 said:
FireGriz said:

'They' made the wrong call. Specifically 'WHO' was is that f*cked up, by name? Wrong call resulted in EJECTION from the game. Can't fix that. Had an effect on the game. Can't fix that. Removal of the ref(s) from the game would be proper.

They completely screwed this up and procedurally did the opposite of what the rule requires.

Without the replay, a personal foul penalty of 15 yards for unnecessary roughness could have stood, with ejection rescinded and non-participation evaluated post game on working replay. Targeting must be confirmed by replay:

Targeting
ARTICLE 5 a. The replay official shall review all targeting fouls, Rules
9-1-3 and 9-1-4. For a player to be disqualified and the Targeting foul to be
enforced, all elements of a Targeting foul must be confirmed by the Instant
Replay Official. There is no option for stands as a part of a Targeting review. If
any element of Targeting cannot be confirmed, then the Replay Official shall
overturn the targeting foul.
Targeting elements include:
1. Rule 9-1-3:
(a) A player takes aim at an opponent for the purposes of attacking with
forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.
(b) An indicator of targeting is present.
2. Rule 9-1-4:
(a) A defenseless opponent (Rule 2-27-14).
(b) A player takes aim at a defenseless opponent for the purposes of
attacking with forcible contact to the head or neck area.
(c) An indicator of targeting is present.
b. The replay official may create a targeting foul from the booth when the
targeting action is clear and obvious and the foul is not called by the officials
on the field. Such a review may not be initiated by a coach’s challenge.

Somebody needs to have a reference copy of the rules available at all Griz games so there can be on the job learning opportunities!

FireGriz said:
Copper Griz said:

I agree with this. Yes, I know the refs are human and not perfect but, my gawd, every week there are numerous egregious calls that your average high school football fan could deal better with.

montanaguy said:
What is an "indicator of targeting"? Helmet coming off? Concussion? I hate vague rules. Anybody know?

“Launch. A player leaving their feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.”

So says the rule, take it as you will

jodcon said:
montanaguy said:
What is an "indicator of targeting"? Helmet coming off? Concussion? I hate vague rules. Anybody know?

“Launch. A player leaving their feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
Leading with helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of the helmet.”

So says the rule, take it as you will

Thanks for clarifying.

Back