• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Drew Turner - playing time

Griz2k

DONOR
I know this question has been asked and maybe somebody answered it on here and I just missed it, but why doesn't Drew Turner get any playing time at running back until the last few plays of the game? Several times in the game against Idaho it was third and short or on the goal line and they run a 170 lb soaking wet running back into the middle of the line while Turner sits on the bench. Bergen is going to get beat to hell if they keep utilizing him the way they do. I just don't understand why Turner doesn't play. Does Hauck not like him? Does he have fumbling issues? Has anybody asked Hauck at the quarterback club meetings?

Griz2k said:
I know this question has been asked and maybe somebody answered it on here and I just missed it, but why doesn't Drew Turner get any playing time at running back until the last few plays of the game? Several times in the game against Idaho it was third and short or on the goal line and they run a 170 lb soaking wet running back into the middle of the line while Turner sits on the bench. Bergen is going to get beat to hell if they keep utilizing him the way they do. I just don't understand why Turner doesn't play. Does Hauck not like him? Does he have fumbling issues? Has anybody asked Hauck at the quarterback club meetings?

:thumb:
Fully agree. Would love to know why he hasn't been utilized.

Grizzlies1982 said:
Griz2k said:

:thumb:
Fully agree. Would love to know why he hasn't been utilized.

I too would like to know and have asked this question several times.....speaks to the question as to why the coaches felt a need in the first place to take Junior out of the wide receiver group....as I remember Turner was recruited as a top talent at running back and has remained in that capacity as long as he has been with the team.....so whats up ? is he really a 7th or 8th string r/b ? ...if so, time to find a new position for a big fast guy, ... like say linebacker imo....

Heard Bobby doesn’t like his mullet….jk 😂.

Seriously, I too was wondering why Turner hasn’t been getting carries.

Not to be too mean here, but from a very reliable source, he just has zero football IQ. Looks the part but greatly struggles with the X's and O's of the game. I would be very surprised if he sees much of the field ever on offense and I am doubtful a switch to defense would yield better results.

Dgriz94 said:
Not to be too mean here, but from a very reliable source, he just has zero football IQ. Looks the part but greatly struggles with the X's and O's of the game. I would be very surprised if he sees much of the field ever on offense and I am doubtful a switch to defense would yield better results.

Iso_Blocking.jpg

Not discrediting your source at all, because it would explain a lot. But, he has to know how to do this... :)

I thought Janacaro looked good is his limited carries against Idaho.

Not adding any credence to this story, but it is worth mentioning that this is the place to go looking for super-high football ID's. :clap:

Dgriz94 said:
but from a very reliable source, he just has zero football IQ.

Dgriz94 said:
Seems odd... RB is literally the easiest position to learn as far as X's and O's.

Proud Griz Man said:
Not adding any credence to this story, but it is worth mentioning that this is the place to go looking for super-high football ID's. :clap:

Dgriz94 said:
but from a very reliable source, he just has zero football IQ.

I heard the same thing as you.

Easiest answer is that he’s not good enough.

If all it took to be good at football was being big and fast, recruiting would be a heck of a lot easier. There’s a lot of things that could cause a RB not to play, usually ability to pass block is up there, maybe he lacks vision, hits the wrong holes, fumbles, I really don’t know. Easy answer is just the obvious though, he isn’t playing because he isn’t good enough.

How high of a football IQ does one need to run a dive play? I'm not saying he's an every down back by any means, but on short yardage situations surely it doesn't take a genius to take a hand off and run into the pile.

to me it seems like he runs up into the back of the lineman frequently doesn't bounce or cut much to an opening.

He can't even crack the 6th spot at his position. If you're getting beat out by two true freshmen, odds are that you aren't as good as people think.

We would not be playing both Bergen and Janacaro if Bobby felt like he could rely on Turner.

Griz2k said:
How high of a football IQ does one need to run a dive play? I'm not saying he's an every down back by any means, but on short yardage situations surely it doesn't take a genius to take a hand off and run into the pile.

This! As a two-time 1st team AA running back with 46 career H.S. TD’s, he knows how how to put the f**king ball in the end zone. Thought it was absolute B.S. when he was lined up at RB when we were inside Idaho’s 10 yd line with a 1st down and over a minute left at the end of the game, and you can’t call his number once??? Oh wait, the staff can’t possibly take a chance he might actually score and feed some fodder to why he isn’t playing more..
I keep hearing fumbles, pass blocking, IQ. All bullshit when you are 1st and goal or 3rd and 1. He has no fumbles in his 32 career carries, and has a 4.8 yd/carry average. Oh yeah, just keep running our undersized converted WR into the asses of our OL like he did twice in key situations against Sac.St.

Yeah, the coaches are opposed to putting players on the field who they know will execute and score touchdowns.

And I have some prime beachfront property in Chinook you might be interested in . . .

So much more to just getting the ball and running with it. They put a huge emphasis on pass and run blocking. Hauck and Green emphasize it a ton. Maybe he has a hard time with that, I’m not positive.

birdieman said:
Griz2k said:

This! As a two-time 1st team AA running back with 46 career H.S. TD’s, he knows how how to put the f**king ball in the end zone. Thought it was absolute B.S. when he was lined up at RB when we were inside Idaho’s 10 yd line with a 1st down and over a minute left at the end of the game, and you can’t call his number once??? Oh wait, the staff can’t possibly take a chance he might actually score and feed some fodder to why he isn’t playing more..
I keep hearing fumbles, pass blocking, IQ. All bullshit when you are 1st and goal or 3rd and 1. He has no fumbles in his 32 career carries, and has a 4.8 yd/carry average. Oh yeah, just keep running our undersized converted WR into the asses of our OL like he did twice in key situations against Sac.St.

HS production means literally nothing in terms of how good you’ll be in college. Nothing.

PTGrizzly said:
birdieman said:

HS production means literally nothing in terms of how good you’ll be in college. Nothing.

I understand what you are saying. There are kids who just dominate high school and can't cut it in college.

That said, there must be something to how it translates. Otherwise coaches wouldn't care how good a player was in high school and just grab any ol' high schooler from around the state and call it good.

I think kids that are studs in high school go on to be studs or quality players in college far more than they don't. And I think lowly recruited high school players end up being just that in college for more often than they end up being studs. But those stories are awesome!

Back