• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Playoff outlook

BWahlberg

DONOR
It's almost November and the Big Sky is as messy as possible with probable outcomes for who could punch their post-season ticket. We've got 4 weeks left of regular season play, here's how I see it so far:

Out of the playoffs

Southern Utah, Cal Poly, Idaho State, Idaho, Northern Colorado - All have 5 or more losses, virtually no quality wins, and most are just downright bad teams. Even with some surprise upsets and running the table from anyone here, it's too late for a chance.

Needs a miracle

Portland State - Currently 3-4 with only 2 D1 wins. If they win out they'll beat Poly, Weber, Sac, EWU. So 3 weeks of top-25 wins and finishing 7-4. That OOC of 2 FBS and a D2 game could haunt them.

Win out and get some help

Northern Arizona (3-4) - NAU has a "signature" win against Arizona. Their final 4 games are Idaho, UCD, UM, and Poly. A win-out scenario would give them two top-25 wins and have them at 7-4. They do have 1 bad loss though, UNC. Their other 3 losses are SHSU, USD, and Sac. That UNC loss would hurt on a resume of a 7-4 type of at-large team.

Weber State (3-4) - Even with their big win against EWU I think Weber is going to need another Big Sky team to stumble. Their final 4 games (on paper) are a cakewalk, ISU, PSU, SUU, UNC. They also don't have a "bad" loss so far (Utah, JMU, UCD, MSU). I think their challenge will be if the top-tier teams all finish strong, they could be the odd team out.

In - depending on how you finish

Montana (5-2) - If Montana loses even 1 more game, regardless of who, they should be in at 8-3. If they drop a game to SUU, UNC, NAU that will be a bad loss, but then based on the theory of losing only 1 of the last 4, they will beat the cats who will be top 10 / top 15 and that'll be a solid win to springboard into the playoffs. I do think if Montana finishes 7-4 they're out, especially if Weber State also finishes 7-4. Weber's resume is probably a little stronger in that case. Montana would have the UW win but then presumably no other wins against teams with winning records and a "bad" loss on the board too.

Sacramento State (5-2) - Sac has 4 games to go, UNC, Poly, PSU, and then UCD. If they win out, they win at least a share of the Big Sky, land the auto-bid, and should get a seed for the playoffs. They've got a signature win against Montana too. They're in a similar situation to Montana but probably have a slight advantage over the Griz. If they go 3-1 down the stretch and finish 8-3 they should be in, if they go 2-2... that gets challenging. No bad losses for Sac so far, UNI and Cal.

UC Davis (7-1) - Davis has a bye this week and then finishes @NAU, vs EWU, vs Sac. That's a tough final road but it has them in contention to win a share of the Big Sky if they win out. Davis might get a little nervous if they beat NAU and then lose their last two though. They'd be 8-3, have a win over FBS Tulsa, and a win over Weber as well, but be on a 2-game skid. Could put them on the bubble but I'd think they'd stand a good chance to be in still. Obviously if they win out they're probably a top-5 team and looking at a few home games if they keep rolling.

Eastern Washington (7-1) - EWU has a week off and then hosts MSU, then goes to UCD, and finishes against PSU. It's not the easiest path and the recent Weber loss throws some doubt into the air for EWU. I think they're in really good shape to make the playoffs still. I think they could even go 1-2 down the stretch and still be in a good spot to get in, they have an FBS win, they have an FCS top-25 win - and would add more if they beat MSU and/or UCD.

Montana State (7-1) - MSU has a week off and then goes @EWU, vs UI, @Montana. Obviously a win-out situation has MSU undefeated in the Big Sky and either winning the title outright or sharing it with Sac. MSU has a good win too - at Weber, and their only loss has been @ Wyoming. The EWU and UM games are their chance to have a late-season big win or two that would land them a top playoff seed. I think MSU needs just 1 more win to lock in the playoffs.

-------------

Looking at all of this is why I also think Weber needs some help. If you look at probable finishing records:

EWU 10-1 / 9-2
Sac 9-2 / 8-3
MSU 10-1 / 9-2 / 8-3
UCD 10-1 / 9-2 / 8-3
UM 9-2 / 8-3

If that shakes out somewhere along these paths, how does a 7-4 Weber also get in? Could the Big Sky send 6 schools? Seems unlikely. Now of course if suddenly if any one or more of these teams finishes 7-4 or worse, then that opens the door wide for Weber. It also seems unlikely that a 7-4 Weber team would bump-out an otherwise 8-3 school here as all 5 of these teams have (or will have) a big win to hang their hats on as well.

However, one thing we know for sure, there's plenty of chaos still in store for the playoff picture across the country and in the Big Sky. Presumably in a few weeks this playoff picture could be a little more clear... or hell, it could be even more confusing.

Based on SOS I am not sure UCD gets in Either. That is if the Griz and UCD end up with the same record. I am thinking 4 out of the BSC. Not sure 5 is going to fly AND not sure I agree on MSU deserving a playoff spot if they only win 1 more game. Outside of Weber they would not have a quality win. SOS is pretty putrid.

giphy.gif

I had to do it. :shock: :shock:

I think any BSC team that goes 8-3 or better is in. If all 5 of the teams that can do that end up actually doing it, I think Weber is left on the outside looking in at 7-4. I do not believe the BSC will get 6 teams in.

The way things are looking, unless something absolutely insane happens, I think it's safe to say the top 4 teams in the BSC are going to get in.

I don't think it's impossible for a 7-4 Griz team to get in, depending on how the landscape looks around the country. Remember: We still have the best OOC win out of anybody, which will weigh on the committee's mind heavily.

Here's to hoping we don't have to worry about that, and we win out, though. :thumb:

Proud Griz Man said:
giphy.gif

I had to do it. :shock: :shock:
Playoffs and a chance to go to Frisco. That’s exciting. How about some conversation about the most important game of the year……….Griz, Cat?

Copper Griz said:
Based on SOS I am not sure UCD gets in Either. That is if the Griz and UCD end up with the same record. I am thinking 4 out of the BSC. Not sure 5 is going to fly AND not sure I agree on MSU deserving a playoff spot if they only win 1 more game. Outside of Weber they would not have a quality win. SOS is pretty putrid.

But we wouldn’t have “bad” losses either. I don’t see any scenario that we lose to Idaho at home. So if we lose two it’d be to a top 10 eastern team and probably a top 10 griz team. Both on the road. I don’t see an 8-3 MSU team missing the playoffs in that scenario.

Love that we control our own destiny though.

Copper Griz said:

So you don't think an 8-3 MSU will get in, with their only losses coming to Top 10 teams, and an FBS, and all 8 (even if weak) wins coming against FCS teams?

uofmman1122 said:
I think any BSC team that goes 8-3 or better is in. If all 5 of the teams that can do that end up actually doing it, I think Weber is left on the outside looking in at 7-4. I do not believe the BSC will get 6 teams in.

The way things are looking, unless something absolutely insane happens, I think it's safe to say the top 4 teams in the BSC are going to get in.

I don't think it's impossible for a 7-4 Griz team to get in, depending on how the landscape looks around the country. Remember: We still have the best OOC win out of anybody, which will weigh on the committee's mind heavily.

Here's to hoping we don't have to worry about that, and we win out, though. :thumb:

Five teams sounds like a lot. Until you realize there's 27 teams in the conference. :| :| :|

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

Five teams sounds like a lot. Until you realize there's 27 teams in the conference. :| :| :|
of course. It's just over 18%. ;)

AZGrizFan said:
uofmman1122 said:

That don’t all play each other. To leave us speculating who “might” win and whose schedule is tougher. When at the point no ones schedule has seemed real tough and it’s not like any team has any incredible wins….

ilovethecats said:
Copper Griz said:

But we wouldn’t have “bad” losses either. I don’t see any scenario that we lose to Idaho at home. So if we lose two it’d be to a top 10 eastern team and probably a top 10 griz team. Both on the road. I don’t see an 8-3 MSU team missing the playoffs in that scenario.

An 8 win MSU team is in, either they'll have a win against EWU or UM - or have lost to two top 10/top11 teams and beat a bad Idaho school, OR, they'll have 1 win against a top 10/11 team and a bad loss against Idaho. Either way, they're in as they could tout wins against Weber and either UM or EWU - and obviously if they win all 3, they win the conference, and are probably a top 4 seed.

SACCAT66 said:
Copper Griz said:

So you don't think an 8-3 MSU will get in, with their only losses coming to Top 10 teams, and an FBS, and all 8 (even if weak) wins coming against FCS teams?

The Cats are a lock at 8-3. Personally I think a 7-4 Griz team with a win over a top 20 P12 team is a lock as well.

BWahlberg said:
ilovethecats said:

An 8 win MSU team is in, either they'll have a win against EWU or UM - or have lost to two top 10/top11 teams and beat a bad Idaho school, OR, they'll have 1 win against a top 10/11 team and a bad loss against Idaho. Either way, they're in as they could tout wins against Weber and either UM or EWU - and obviously if they win all 3, they win the conference, and are probably a top 4 seed.
Agreed. No chance an 8-3 MSU team doesn’t get in. I’d prefer they handle business even better than that and not even have it be a second thought.

Having six teams with seven plus wins is biproduct of the conferences split schedule. IF all teams played each other their would be fewer teams with enough D-1 wins to qualify.

A 7-4 weber team should get into the tournament as the 3rd at large bid for the big sky, but not as the 5th bid.

The FCS committee ought not reward a conference for overloading itself.

EverettGriz said:
SACCAT66 said:

The Cats are a lock at 8-3. Personally I think a 7-4 Griz team with a win over a top 20 P12 team is a lock as well.

UDub isn't anything close to a top 20 team. They are still a P12 though.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

They were when Montana beat them. Likewise if eastern loses every game Feom here, they won’t be ranked. Doesn’t change the fact that weebs beat the #2 team.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

They were when Montana beat them. Likewise if eastern loses every game Feom here, they won’t be ranked. Doesn’t change the fact that weebs beat the #2 team.
Helena has changed his tune. Before Montana played Washington, he was raving how we didn’t have a chance against them. Now, the gentleman says the Huskies aren’t any good. Helena must be a politician.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I look at it differently and reevaluate at the end with final rankings. Using preseason rankings for basis is useless.

Latest posts

Back