• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

STATS FCS Poll Guesses (Oct 24)

IdaGriz01

Once again, just under a third (8) of the ranked team lost, four of them to unranked opponents. Thus, just as happened last week, there’s bound to be a lot of movement in the next poll. At least we now have a good track record: Everyone except the Ivies have played seven or eight games.

Guess, Team (Record), [Current Rank]
#1 SHSU (6-0) [1]
#2 NDSU (7-0) [3]
#3 Southern Illinois (6-1) [4]
#4 Villanova (6-1) [5]
#5 James Madison (6-1) [7]
#6 Montana State (7-1) [8]
#7 Eastern Washington (7-1) [2]
#8 SE Louisiana (6-1) [9]
#9 UC Davis (7-1) [10]
#10 SDSU (5-2) [6]
#11 Montana (5-2) [11]
#12 Kennesaw State (6-1) [12]
#13 UT Martin (6-1) [13]
#14 ETSU (7-1) [14]
#15 Sacramento State (5-2) [19]
#16 Northern Iowa (4-3) [20]
#17 VMI (5-2) [21]
#18 William & Mary (5-2) NR
#19 Princeton (6-0) [22]
#20 Missouri State (4-3) [17]
#21 South Dakota (5-3) [15]
#22 Jackson State (6-1) [24]
#23 Incarnate Word (5-2) [16]
#24 Rhode Island (5-2) [18]
#25 Eastern Kentucky (5-2) NR

Out
Delaware (3-4) [23]
Dartmouth (5-1) [25]

The first quandary is, of course, what to do with Eastern Washington. They lost to an unranked opponent, which would normally result in a drop of six or seven spots. However, the pollsters (many of them, anyway) will know that it was on a missed PAT. Some will also recall that Weber was ranked, not that long ago. So … I gave the Eags a break and only moved them down five. But it could go either way: one lower or one higher than my guess.

South Dakota State lost to a ranked opponent, so they shouldn’t move down a lot. Still, they could drop one more than my guess, which would allow the Griz to nudge up one. I honestly do not expect that to happen.

The real interest comes with the block #15 thru #18, all of whom lost. The immediate result, of course, is that a bunch of teams – including Sacramento State – will move up. The losers will all drop, but by varying amounts based on who they lost to and by how much.

I expect the pollsters to be kind to Missouri State, which played NDSU pretty tough before losing on the road. South Dakota and Incarnate Word both lost to unranked opponents that have losing records. I think the pollsters will hit them pretty hard, although not enough to knock them out of the top-25. Rhode Island lost to a high-ranked opponent and would normally not get dropped too far. However, Villanova absolutely pounded them (44-0, in case you missed it). I have seen teams get dropped all the way out of the top-25 after a blowout like that. Still, the Rhodie’s impressive (5-2) record should prevent that.

Even though Delaware lost to a ranked opponent, I expect they will drop out … both because they started near the bottom of the rankings and because they now have a losing record. Dartmouth lost to an unranked opponent and was barely hanging on, so they’re gone too.

Those drops-outs opened up two spots, and required replacements. One was relatively easy: The highest “Other” vote getter that didn’t lose yesterday was Eastern Kentucky. They were idle this weekend, but their nice 5-2 record should slide them onto the list. But what about another? As I looked over the possibilities, I noticed that William & Mary was third in the CAA, just behind highly ranked Villanova and James Madison. They won handily yesterday, and I figured their (5-2) record should get them a pretty good spot.

Don’t forget that more than 25 teams receive votes in the poll. So, if two of the previously ranked teams get tossed out, what did the teams just outside the top 25 do?

Weber State at No. 29 is the highest ranked team outside the top 25 to win — and won HUGE. They should get back into the top 25.

26. LOST . . . .Jacksonville State (104) LOST at Sam Houston 42-7
27. LOST . . . .Harvard (101), LOST at Princeton 18-16 OT
28. idle . . . . . Eastern Kentucky (85), idle
29. won! . . . . Weber State (73) beat No. 2 Eastern Washington on the eyesore turf, 35-34
30. LOST . . . .Duquesne (44) lost at Sacred Heart, 31-13
31. won . . . . North Dakota (27) won at Western Illinois, 34-10
32. won . . . . Prairie View A&M (16) won at Southern, 48-21 [has a 40-9 loss to UIW]
33. LOST . . . Youngstown State (11) LOST at Indiana State, 28-17
34. won . . . . Chattanooga (8) won at Samford, 55-13

I have watched almost all of these teams and Weber is better than any of the teams you have ranked from 19-25.

But they are 3-4

Paytonlives said:
I have watched almost all of these teams and Weber is better than any of the teams you have ranked from 19-25.

But they are 3-4
We've watched most of them too, and I do not disagree with your statement.

I even toyed with the notion of putting them in somewhere ... but that losing record would have stuck out like a sore thumb among those 5-2 and 6-1 teams. Nevertheless, I would not be shocked if the pollsters did sneak them in.

IdaGriz01 said:
Paytonlives said:

But they are 3-4
We've watched most of them too, and I do not disagree with your statement.

I even toyed with the notion of putting them in somewhere ... but that losing record would have stuck out like a sore thumb among those 5-2 and 6-1 teams. Nevertheless, I would not be shocked if the pollsters did sneak them in.

Not taking a shot at you.... to try and decide what the posters will do is hard. I think they will sneak into the top 25 say about 23. We will see in about 16 hours

As always nice job. Your guesses look sound. It is splitting hairs but I might expect pollsters to place E. WA at 6 and move the bobcats to 7.

Weber was unranked but still respected, and EWU lost by a single point. The cats won but looked very suspect putting away Idaho State. A win is a win, yet this was one win Idaho State. Regardless, in two weeks there will be a top ten tussle over on the nasty red field. Go bobcats (in this game).

Grizzlies1982 said:
As always nice job. Your guesses look sound. It is splitting hairs but I might expect pollsters to place E. WA at 6 and move the bobcats to 7.

Weber was unranked but still respected, and EWU lost by a single point. The cats won but looked very suspect putting away Idaho State. A win is a win, yet this was one win Idaho State. Regardless, in two weeks there will be a top ten tussle over on the nasty red field. Go bobcats (in this game).

I hope the tabbies get beat by 50+

Paytonlives said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

Well of course you do! That way we can continue to banter about how the griz are better because they only lost by six and held EWU to 540 yards and 34 points! I expect most griz fans will watch that game like a Hawk!

retiredpopo said:
we might jump the cats...

That would just be wrong IMO. I definitely think we can beat the cats but there’s not a good reason we should be in front of them in the polls.

Am I the only one hoping the cats win out and get in the top 5 by Griz/cat game? Would love nothing more than to beat them especially if they’re top 5...

ilovethecats said:
Paytonlives said:

Well of course you do! That way we can continue to banter about how the griz are better because they only lost by six and held EWU to 540 yards and 34 points! I expect most griz fans will watch that game like a Hawk!

Nope just hate the cats as much as a bison fan hates the treadmill.

ilovethecats said:
Paytonlives said:

I will be watching the game and pulling for the cats. I always pull for little brother, especially versus E. WA. Note, you can mock it but "holding EWU to 34 points" is as good as anyone has done this year. Although I hope MSU beats the Red Menace, I rather doubt they will.

Maybe, just maybe, if Ifanse runs for 350 yards and the cat offense can hold the ball for about 45 minutes of possession... maybe :)

Paytonlives said:
ilovethecats said:

Nope just hate the cats as much as a bison fan hates the treadmill.

That’s fair Payton! And how it should be! :lol:

RainierGriz said:
Am I the only one hoping the cats win out and get in the top 5 by Griz/cat game? Would love nothing more than to beat them especially if they’re top 5...

Yes a highly ranked MSU would be the ideal scenario for the Grizzlies beating them on Playoff Selection weekend.

This year should be a very interesting game. Both teams have had their moments of looking great, and moments of looking very pedestrian.
Go Griz! :ugeek:

Grizzlies1982 said:
ilovethecats said:

I will be watching the game and pulling for the cats. I always pull for little brother, especially versus E. WA. Note, you can mock it but "holding EWU to 34 points" is as good as anyone has done this year. Although I hope MSU beats the Red Menace, I rather doubt they will.

Maybe, just maybe, if Ifanse runs for 350 yards and the cat offense can hold the ball for about 45 minutes of possession... maybe :)

You can’t tell my tone but I wasn’t mocking it at all. EWU’s offense is ridiculous.

I just know our rivalry and how petty it can be. Every stat imaginable between the griz and eags will be compared to every stat imaginable between the cats and eags. It will make for some great back and forth for sure.

If there was ever any common ground between me and griz fans it’s our common feelings toward EWU and hunt-ducks.

ilovethecats said:
Grizzlies1982 said:

You can’t tell my tone but I wasn’t mocking it at all. EWU’s offense is ridiculous.

I just know our rivalry and how petty it can be. Every stat imaginable between the griz and eags will be compared to every stat imaginable between the cats and eags. It will make for some great back and forth for sure.

If there was ever any common ground between me and griz fans it’s our common feelings toward EWU and hunt-ducks.

:thumb:

Back