• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

“I thought they wanted to play some football”

goatcreekgriz

I might be paraphrasing, but I recall Coach Hauck saying something like this after some opposing team tried to make a statement late in a game the opponent was obviously going to lose. Bobby put the first-string back in the game and shut down the effort to make a “statement.”

I thought of Hauck’s quote after Idaho’s late onside kick and how UM responded. Seems like he might have been suggesting that Petrino stick it where the sun don’t shine.

goatcreekgriz said:
I might be paraphrasing, but I recall Coach Hauck saying something like this after some opposing team tried to make a statement late in a game the opponent was obviously going to lose. Bobby put the first-string back in the game and shut down the effort to make a “statement.”

I thought of Hauck’s quote after Idaho’s late onside kick and how UM responded. Seems like he might have been suggesting that Petrino stick it where the sun don’t shine.

That's EXACTLY what Bobby was saying to Petrino. "You want to keep playing? Fine, take this."

I'm just surprised he didn't keep trying to score at the end. He could have called some time outs and dragged it out.

Da Boyz Mom said:
goatcreekgriz said:

That's EXACTLY what Bobby was saying to Petrino. "You want to keep playing? Fine, take this."

I'm just surprised he didn't keep trying to score at the end. He could have called some time outs and dragged it out.

Part of me wishes he would have, but he made his point. You could tell by the look on Putrino’s face as the clock ticked down.

AZGrizFan said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

Part of me wishes he would have, but he made his point. You could tell by the look on Putrino’s face as the clock ticked down.

Ya, old Quasimodo looked like he had some humble pie. Bobby said he just about called a timeout at the one but unfortunately his better judgment came through.

goatcreekgriz said:

Yeah it was some DII team who trailed by like 60 called timeout after a conservative GRIZ play call on 3rd down with under a minute left in the game. BH called for a fake punt that went for 45 yards.

AZGrizFan said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

BH was getting a look at his 3rd string QB; Idaho's problem if they couldn't stop him.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
BH was getting a look at his 3rd string QB; Idaho's problem if they couldn't stop him.

And giving him some 'meaningful' game experience. Not just handing off
Win/win/win

EverettGriz said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Yeah it was some DII team who trailed by like 60 called timeout after a conservative GRIZ play call on 3rd down with under a minute left in the game. BH called for a fake punt that went for 45 yards.

Was that maybe Ft. Lewis? Reminds me a lot of a UCLA v. USC game in 2009. SC was up 21-7 with the ball and under a minute remaining in the 4Q. SC took a knee, Neuheisel called timeout, and Carroll said, “OK” and dialed up a 50-yard pass from Barkley for a TD. Wanna keep playing, then keep playing. Not an SC fan, but I respected the play call.

Personally, I think he was too nice should have called a timeout and got another play to try to score. Anytime you can run the score up on Idaho I'm all for it.

grizingatorland said:
Personally, I think he was too nice should have called a timeout and got another play to try to score. Anytime you can run the score up on Idaho I'm all for it.

Amen :thumb:

I think younger Bobby would have.

CDAGRIZ said:
EverettGriz said:

Was that maybe Ft. Lewis? Reminds me a lot of a UCLA v. USC game in 2009. SC was up 21-7 with the ball and under a minute remaining in the 4Q. SC took a knee, Neuheisel called timeout, and Carroll said, “OK” and dialed up a 50-yard pass from Barkley for a TD. Wanna keep playing, then keep playing. Not an SC fan, but I respected the play call.

It may well have been FL.

And yeah, if you call TO when your opponent is taking a knee you deserve every bit of that tuddy stuffed up your ass.

alabamagrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:

Ya, old Quasimodo looked like he had some humble pie. Bobby said he just about called a timeout at the one but unfortunately his better judgment came through.

Bad judgement, should have called it, F**k them.

fanofzoo said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I'd like to see him work on his late game management in games where it's needed!

Mousegriz said:
fanofzoo said:

I'd like to see him work on his late game management in games where it's needed!

Wouldn't the perfect place to do that be in a real game situation where it is not needed?

fanofzoo said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Just like Eastern....saved it!

Back