• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post Game: The Stein stays in Montana

BWahlberg

DONOR
It’s good to be back on the winning side of things, to put Idaho in their place, and to retain the Little Brown Stein. I was worried that this could be an ugly game for Montana but they shook off some of the cobwebs from the Sac loss and got going as the game went on. By no means a perfect win, it was a solid one where once Montana gained a 2 score lead it really felt that Idaho was already out of reach. This was the first of many “must win” games for Montana moving forward and we saw a lot of steady improvements in many aspects of the game.

While usually a footnote it’s worth an early mention at how incredibly atrocious the officiating was tonight. Colter mentioned it in our GFP last week that there were at least 7 missed major calls in the Sac game (4 favoring Sac, 3 favoring Montana) and tonight seemed just as bad. I snapped some rough video of a few of the missed calls and I’ll share those here. There was no false start on the fake fieldgoal and Montana had an easy TD either running or passing there. Gubner was most certainly not late and wasn’t targeting (Big Sky will overrule that suspension) which wiped out an interception. That cost UM a TD vs a field goal and the wiped out INT lead to an Idaho TD. Additionally, I think Kris Brown was sacked in the endzone, that’s 2 points off the board for Idaho + a possession too. Beyond that, you had out of position refs flagging late hits and defenseless targets where the in-position refs opted to call nothing. I didn’t see Ford’s hold on the Hicks-Onu pick either. It was a total mess out there and this officiating was terrible tonight. Add in the replay machine was broken and unable to be fixed… what a joke.

https://twitter.com/Bwahlberg/status/1452102076264112135

https://twitter.com/Bwahlberg/status/1452077975403253762

Moving beyond that main gripe of mine it was great to see the offense attack Idaho’s defense vertically once the game got going. It opened up things and it allowed Brown to have his best game to date. He looked far more poised thowing the ball and getting it down field, rather than to just his easy check-down options. Akem and Roberts got far more involved in the game, and a few tough Keelan White drops (not totally faulting him, both were really tough grabs) could have made Brown’s night even better.

The defense also got back to what we expect. Giving up an opening drive TD in their base set seems to be their MO now, it happened against Washington, EWU, Sac, and Idaho. After that, they locked it in until the game was out of hand for Idaho. The defense snagged 2 picks (should have been 3 but that BS call wiped Robby’s out) and if the stats are correct had Idaho put the ball on the ground 5 times, mostly on errant snaps I think. The defense tallied 6 sacks against a team that’s mostly a run-option team, and had 12 TFLs in the game.

Some additional thoughts:

- Happy birthday to would be PPR stat monster Junior Bergen, getting his first career start, rushing for 77 yards and having 2 great TDs. This true freshman was supposed to be redshirting and in line to work his way into a slot WR job, now he’s our main running back and kicking ass at it.

- Seemed to me with Mallory at center the running game opened up quite a bit more. Pass protection with blitzes in the middle was still an issue.

- Lots of injuries tonight, seemed to me that Forbes was the only one who didn’t return though. I saw Belknap running to the fans with the Stein at the end.

- Holy cow Bobby must’ve been pissed at Petrino for the on-sides kick. Passing with a 20 point lead and almost cashing in late for a TD would’ve been quite the scene, I almost wonder if a brawl would’ve broken out. I don’t blame him entirely, to be honest, I really wish they would’ve cashed in on that last drive.

- Justin Ford with another pick, incredible read on a pass play and cutting across the field to steal that pass.

- It seemed the defense kind of had it’s swagger back. More aggressive, harder hitting, less out of place overall.

- Hell of a game for Mitch Roberts and good to see Sammy back into the mix. The offense moves so much better when the Griz can stretch the field

- 5-6 scoring in the red zone with the only non score was the end of the game. Add in the offense scored 10 points off turnovers. Glad to see those small things starting to come together.

- Not sure why, especially in the face of little to no push early, Montana kept running up the middle on 1st and 2nd down for little gain. They’d have this open and free moving offense until goal-to-go and then get back to what they did against Sac, multiple times setting up a 3rd and long with goal to go. Once it did result in a TD to Grossman, the other time a field goal.

- More penalties wiping points off the board for Montana. A Mayginnes chop block wipes out a Janacaro TD run and a Ford hold (allegedly) wipes out a Hicks-Onu pick-6. Yeah it didn’t matter against crappy Idaho, but those small errors could add up in other games against better teams.

- Idaho is trash, I’m glad we kicked their ass

On to SUU, I’m hopeful that the Griz aren’t too beat up after this game and can continue to get a few guys back, healthy, and can find a nice little run ahead of them.

Go Griz!

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BWahlberg said:
It’s good to be back on the winning side of things, to put Idaho in their place, and to retain the Little Brown Stein.

Go Griz!

Do you know why it is windy in Montana? It is because North dakota sucks and Idaho blows. :shock: :lol: j/k you sensitive snowflakes

Proud Griz Man said:
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

BWahlberg said:
It’s good to be back on the winning side of things, to put Idaho in their place, and to retain the Little Brown Stein.

Go Griz!

Do you know why it is windy in Montana? It is because North dakota sucks and Idaho blows. :shock: :lol: j/k you sensitive snowflakes

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good summary. Another missed call early on was the roundhouse punch to the face mask of a Griz (didn’t catch the jersey number) by a Spud after the whistle. It was front and center on TV, but of course the officials saw nothing. Idaho had a lot of frustration cheap shots it seemed. They have become the new Portland State of the BSC.

I sure hope you are right about the crappy call against Gubner being overturned. We need him for all 4 quarters. We will have to deal with poor officiating as it is more the rule than the exception any more.
Bobby can get pissed all he wants, but the right thing to do with 40 seconds left in a game, especially when the win is in hand, and we are beat up with injuries, is to take a knee and end the game. Patterson took a late hit in that drive as Idaho was trying to light people up. Made little sense to me.
On to SUU!
Go Griz!

My guess is that the referee threw a flag for an illegal formation and then realized he was wrong. His only bail out was to say somebody moved. Late hit with targeting was not a good call. In fairness, call targeting but not the late hit. When in doubt you should call targeting and then it can be reviewed.Big Sky will over rule the targeting.

The way Idaho plays (dirty, cheap shots, etc.) is why I don’t tell anyone I graduated from there. They were the same way when I went to school there and I hated the football team then and ever since.

Fuck those asswipes. I hope they never win another game.

27 thousand posts and has to be one of your best posts. Putter Junior gets bought out at the end of the year.
AZGrizFan said:
The way Idaho plays (dirty, cheap shots, etc.) is why I don’t tell anyone I graduated from there. They were the same way when I went to school there and I hated the football team then and ever since.

[#]f### those asswipes. I hope they never win another game.
commonly heard - central Idaho girls speaking to their boyfriend. " U da pimp. I da HO." :shock: :lol: :lol: j/k you sensitive snowflakes

AZGrizFan said:

The cheapshots were ridiculous and bush league. I thought our guys showed good restraint in the fourth given the circumstances. I also have no problem with Belknaps personal foul early in the game given that he was literally picking a guy up off his teamate. And Idaho can punch our guy in the middle of the field and not draw a flag, but Gubner gets a penalty for roughing and ejected for literally making contact within half a step? Normally that goes down as a hurry in any scorekeepers playbook.

My wife who loves going to home games, but has never really been too into watching a game on the tv was fired up by the end, and by that last drive she was sitting right beside me yelling at Grady when he said Patterson could just run up and take a knee before that last play.

Wolf777 said:
AZGrizFan said:

The cheapshots were ridiculous and bush league. I thought our guys showed good restraint in the fourth given the circumstances. I also have no problem with Belknaps personal foul early in the game given that he was literally picking a guy up off his teamate. And Idaho can punch our guy in the middle of the field and not draw a flag, but Gubner gets a penalty for roughing and ejected for literally making contact within half a step? Normally that goes down as a hurry in any scorekeepers playbook.

My wife who loves going to home games, but has never really been too into watching a game on the tv was fired up by the end, and by that last drive she was sitting right beside me yelling at Grady when he said Patterson could just run up and take a knee before that last play.

Agreed on Belknap. That POS jumped on Lewis after the play was dead and Belknap was just dragging him off. The whole team (Vandulls) is comprised of a bunch of dirty pieces of shit. There’s literally not one thing I like about that team or their POS coach. Fuck ‘em all.

Good: 10 points on turnovers. Which obviously has been an issue this year.
Also Good: Good to see Robertson back out there laying the wood. I’m sorry, but the D just looks ‘different’ when he’s healthy and on the field. Love Graves, but he’s no Robertson.
Bad: Two penalties took two TD’s off the board, another mysterious penalty on Gubner continued a drive we had stopped with an INT, and a third (the mysterious false start on the 2-point conversion) penalty took 2 more points off the board. Whether they were ACTUAL penalties or not, we need to clean that stuff up. This would have been a rout of epic proportions with that 23 point swing.
Also bad: Hope to Christ some of those injuries turn out to be minor. We’re reaching the point where Bobby is gonna have to have open call at a practice for offensive and defensive linemen.

Side note: That was the worst reffed game I’ve watched in quite some time. And for BSC refs, that’s saying something. Just bad, all the way around….possibly couldn’t have been a worse game for replay review not to be working.

I'm glad AZGriz noticed. I really thought that having Gavin Robertson out there made a noticeable difference on the whole D. And he is not hitting yet like he was when 100%.
All we need is average BSC refs, some physical health and a little help from the O (like we got today) and this D and the ST could get us unbeaten through the Saturday before Thanksgiving.

I wished Hauck had taken a time out with the 3 seconds left. Ran a play with motions etc and then kneed the ball. Petrino should not have ran that kickoff like he did so late. But if he wants to play that way he sure can. Hauck can play out the game as he sees fit. Typical Petrino - he sure looked pissy staring across the field as Hauck let the backups play it out. Somehow the Petrinos think the same rules don’t apply to them. I think far less of Petrino than I do Idaho. I don’t like Idaho.

For far, far too many years I’ve been openly critical about the officiating in the bsc, and the league doing absolutely nothing to improve it or hold their officials accountable. The response from many on here has been “it’s bad in every conference”.

Bullshit.

No objective person could watch the last two GRIZ games and make such a claim. It’s demonstrably horrible in the bsc. The conference’s complete unwillingness to do ANYthing to hold officials accountable is professional malpractice.

A lady sitting behind me at the game kept saying the Griz are cheaters and obviously paid off the refs......after every Idaho penalty. I guess it all depends on which team you're rooting for!

EverettGriz said:
For far, far too many years I’ve been openly critical about the officiating in the bsc, and the league doing absolutely nothing to improve it or hold their officials accountable. The response from many on here has been “it’s bad in every conference”.

Bullshit.

No objective person could watch the last two GRIZ games and make such a claim. It’s demonstrably horrible in the bsc. The conference’s complete unwillingness to do ANYthing to hold officials accountable is professional malpractice.

I’ve been saying this for a while but my question is HOW. How is this the case??? Do other conferences pay refs better and in return get better officials? It has in the past and will again cost us playoff games.

Does anybody have the clip of the spud punching our guy? I missed it and am curious if it was as flagrant as the girlfriend said it was.

I know it was Idaho but if we have all our of starters on D healthy and Brown gets more confidence to stretch the field this team can win some games and be a tough out in the playoffs.

Back