• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NCAAF landscape

Griztrain

6 CUSA schools moving to the AAC leaving CUSA with 8 and the Sun Belt considering expansion.
Does the CUSA disband?
Does JMU move up?
Who else potentially moves up?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32445087/florida-atlantic-charlotte-north-texas-utsa-rice-uab-set-join-american-athletic-conference

Griztrain said:
6 CUSA schools moving to the AAC leaving CUSA with 8 and the Sun Belt considering expansion.
Does the CUSA disband?
Does JMU move up?

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/32445087/florida-atlantic-charlotte-north-texas-utsa-rice-uab-set-join-american-athletic-conference
Anybody in the market for Velcro labels on things. Absolutely crazy.

This could get extra interesting in terms of JMU moving up (if they so choose). The AAC always seemed like the most likely home for the Dukes at the FBS level. But this expansion will already make the AAC a bloated monstrosity. They may now be much less interested in adding JMU.

On the other hand, what's happened to C-USA and the resulting jockeying with the Sun Belt ... we might see Kennesaw State move up sooner.

I don't see why JMU would not move up. They now have the stadium and attendance to make it work for football. Eastern teams have it much easier due to geography. I am wondering what will happen out west. There was an article (speculation) that NDSU may be invited to the Mountain West for football only. That would be a big domino tipping

Griztrain said:
Does the CUSA disband?
Does JMU move up?

Southern Miss and Marshall to Sun Belt which leaves 6 in Conference USA. Liberty and JMU rumored to join C-USA. Perhaps UConn and UMass.

UTEP now left far to the west in Conf USA. Mountain has no interest in expanding because they don’t wish to dilute TV revenue. Although they should add UTEP and NMSU in preemptive move. With no movement in MW ….. no current Western FCS will move up including NDSU, SDSU, MSU or UM

https://www.actionnetwork.com/ncaaf/college-football-conference-realignment-scenarios-sun-belt-conference-usa?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=BrettMcMurphy

The mountain west pinned themselves into a corner by not doing anything. The American out played them and took away their path into Texas. So now comes the really interesting part. When Boise State and/or San Diego State get the invite to the Big 12 or PAC 12, then what do they do? Do they go after UTEP and NMSU who frankly don’t give a shit about their programs, or do they finally give teams like the cats and the Griz, NDSU and SDSU the look they all deserve? One can only count on the Mountain West to make the wrong decision.

For now, it looks like we’re stuck in the FCS whether you like it or not, until either the MW offers an invite or until several of these FCS teams say fuck it and all move up together and form their own conference.

GRIZFAN37YT said:
EverettGriz said:
Well, at least we’ll still be able to play for a “national” championship….

Would rather do that then play for a pointless bowl game

Only three post-season games have NC implications in the FBS.
When the Rose Bowl isn't designated as a semifinal (two thirds of the time), is it meaningless?
What is the threshold between meaningful and meaningless for bowls that aren't part of the CFP, or not part of the NY6?

I guess one could base it on payout. Pretty sure none of them have a negative payout like other certain postseason games in other divisions. Could be wrong.

CDAGRIZ said:
GRIZFAN37YT said:

When the Rose Bowl isn't designated as a semifinal (two thirds of the time), is it meaningless?
What is the threshold between meaningful and meaningless for bowls that aren't part of the CFP, or not part of the NY6?

I guess one could base it on payout. Pretty sure none of them have a negative payout like other certain postseason games in other divisions. Could be wrong.

The rose bowl game and those top bowl games aren’t pointless. But if we did move up we wouldn’t play in any of the big bowl games. I wouldn’t want to play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl or a game like that every year

GRIZFAN37YT said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The rose bowl game and those top bowl games aren’t pointless. But if we did move up we wouldn’t play in any of the big bowl games. I wouldn’t want to play in the Famous Idaho Potato Bowl or a game like that every year

That’s my question. Where is the 'line of pointless' drawn?

CDAGRIZ said:
GRIZFAN37YT said:

That’s my question. Where is the 'line of pointless' drawn?

It's drawn on a whiteboard somewhere in Grizzly headquarters every week during game planning meetings. Specifically, it illustrates a Grizzly running back taking a handoff for a zone rushing play, often to the strong side of the defense.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

EverettGriz said:

Last line in the action network article

"“I hate to say it,” a Group of Five official said, “but if you’re not in a Power Five conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.”"

behappp said:
EverettGriz said:

Last line in the action network article

"“I hate to say it,” a Group of Five official said, “but if you’re not in a Power Five conference, you’re just rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic.”"

Buuuuut, the GRIZ are not a P5 team, and regrettably they’re lower than a G5 team. So, using your analogy, are they below deck cleaning the Titanic’s head?

CDAGRIZ said:
GRIZFAN37YT said:

The bowls don't have a negative payout, however, each bowl requires the schools to purchase a certain number of tickets. If the schools are unable to resell the tickets it will cost them money.

Back