• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense & Special Teams

IdaGriz01

Despite the passing (and scoring) debacle at EWU, the Griz defense and special teams still rank high in the NCAA stats. Of course, the clampdown against Dixie helped a lot.

The Griz are #2 in Sacks, with 22 in five games. The NCAA actually ranks this category by Yard Per Sack, and the Griz are #2 in that also, scoring 4.40 Yard per Sack … causing 164 yards in losses for the opponents.

Also #2 in Team Tackles for Loss, averaging 9.6 Tackles For Loss per game, with a total of 238 yards lost for the opponent.

#3 in Rushing Defense, holding opponents to just 60.6 Yards Per Game, and 1.92 Yards Per Rush. Of course, the negative yards from Sacks and Tackles For Loss help a lot for this stat.

#4 Red Zone Defense, allowing 9 scores (7 TD, 2 FG) in 15 attempts (60%). If that seems unimpressive, the median number is about 83%.

#8 in 3rd Down Conversion Defense, holding opponents to just 28%

Suck on Passing Yards Allowed (Thank You EWU 😟), #93 at 260.2 Yards Per Game.

Despite that bad apple, the Griz are #10 in Passing Efficiency Defense, keeping opponents at a Passing Efficiency (QB Rating) of 103.8. FWIW: The best is 92.2, while median is 132.3.

#21 in Total Defense at 320.8 Yards Per Game allowed. The low rushing yards per game obviously helps a lot here.

And the most important of all:
#8 in Scoring Defense, 13.8 Points per Game. That’s even with the big hit at EWU.

Special Teams
#1 in Net Punting, with 45.08 Net Yards per punt. Opponents have a total of just 19 yards in returning 6 of 24 punts.

#1 in Kickoff Returns, average of 35.00 Yards Per Return, which includes two returns for touchdowns.

#22 in Kickoff Return Defense. Total of 13 returned for 219 yard = 16.85. Eight touchbacks.

#21 in Punt Returns, average of 11.50 Yards Per Return (one return for TD).

#18 in Punt Return Defense, 3.17 Yards per Return.

Hate to be a downer here, but the kicking game seems a bit off the last two games:

Missed field goals, failed fake FG, blocked FG.

Not that the sky is falling but they've definitely had me yelling at the dog more than normal

MontanaJack2006 said:
Hate to be a downer here, but the kicking game seems a bit off the last two games:

Missed field goals, failed fake FG, blocked FG.

Not that the sky is falling but they've definitely had me yelling at the dog more than normal
Yep. One hates to call out a specific player, but, to put it frankly, the Griz FG kicker sucks. He's made just 4 of 8 attempts ... with the longest at 27 yards. You can cut him some slack for the two attempts of over 50 yards. But he's also tried one each in the 30-39 range and the 40-49 range ... and missed. So right now, the Griz shouldn't even bother trying a FG from outside the 30 yard line. Can that be fixed? I'm not so sure, given that he's had five games to get it right.

The mechanics of the hike and ball placement must be okay because he's perfect (19 of 19) on extra points so far. I guess that's something. But one day, the team may need a long FG to win a game, or perhaps send it into OT. Right now, I'd be trying out everybody on the roster to see if I could identify a long kicker.

Just be glad the Griz have a top punter: Bushini is #6 in punting average (and he's just a Freshman. :thumb: )

I am drawing a total blank (surprise surprise!) on the punt return TD. Can you please refresh my memory on who and when? I'm thinking it must've been vs Cal Poly, but still can't recall.

GoldStandardGriz said:
I am drawing a total blank (surprise surprise!) on the punt return TD. Can you please refresh my memory on who and when? I'm thinking it must've been vs Cal Poly, but still can't recall.
You're not wrong, we haven't returned one. We did block one and recover it for a score, maybe that shows up in the stats as a punt return TD?

SaskGriz said:
GoldStandardGriz said:
You're not wrong, we haven't returned one. We did block one and recover it for a score, maybe that shows up in the stats as a punt return TD?
You got me, folks. I only know what the NCAA stat line for "Punt Returns" says. Unfortunately, the NCAA stat for Blocked Punts only shows how many were tried and how many were blocked. The Griz show one blocked out of 36 attempts. Blocked Kicks (presumably FG tries) only show how many blocks in how many games ... the Griz have blocked one in five games.

Perhaps Sask is right about the score after a blocked punt.

Here's another stat I found while I trying to figure this out. The Griz are tied for #3 in Turnovers Gained, with14 in five games (5 fumbles recovered and 9 interceptions). FYI the #1 (Campbell) has 18 and #2 (UNI) has 16.

Decided to update these numbers, so I changed the title of this thread a little bit, rather than start a new one.

Overall, the Griz still have fine numbers for defense and special teams.

#3 in Sacks, with 29 in seven games. Also third in Yards Per Sack, at 4.14. Those sacks have cost opponents 212 yards in losses.

Tied for #9 in Team Tackles for Loss, averaging 7.9 Tackles For Loss per game, with a total of 286 yards lost for the opponent.

#3 in Turnovers Gained, with 18 (12 interceptions and 6 fumbles recovered) in 7 games.

#8 in Rushing Defense, holding opponents to just 79.1 Yards Per Game, and 2.22 Yards Per Rush. Of course, the negative yards from Sacks and Tackles For Loss help a lot for this stat.

#7 Red Zone Defense, allowing 13 scores (11 TD, 2 FG) in 20 attempts (65%). If that seems unimpressive, the median number is about 81%.

Suck on Passing Yards Allowed, #93 at 249.7 Yards Per Game. (The yards number is actually better than earlier in the year.)

Despite that bad apple, the Griz are #17 in Passing Efficiency Defense, keeping opponents at a Passing Efficiency (QB Rating) of 111.0. FWIW: The best is 93.9, while median is 131.3.

#30 in Total Defense at 328.9 Yards Per Game allowed. The low rushing yards per game obviously helps a lot here, but the passing defense yards are a killer.

And the most important of all:
#10 in Scoring Defense, 15.9 Points per Game. That’s even with the big hit at EWU.

Special Teams
#1 in Net Punting, with 44.8 Net Yards per punt. Opponents have a total of just 34 yards in returning 11 of 37 punts.

#3 in Kickoff Returns, average of 29.3 Yards Per Return, which includes two returns for touchdowns.

#10 in Kickoff Return Defense. Total of 16 returned for 249 yard = 15.56. Thirteen touchbacks.

#20 in Punt Returns, average of 11.25 Yards Per Return (one return for TD).

#14 in Punt Return Defense, 3.09 Yards per Return.

Latest posts

Back