• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz Greats: the 20th anniversary of the 2001 national champions

Colter_Nuanez56

Back for another season....

Griz Greats: The 20th Anniversary of the 2001 National Champion Grizzlies brought to you by Blackfoot and First Security Bank is a long form interview series hosted Colter Nuanez of ESPN Missoula chronicling the oral history of the University of Montana's 2001 Division I-AA football title, the last national championship captured by the Griz.

The Griz football program has established a reputation as one of the most dominant in the history of small-school college football over the last 35 years. When the Griz captured the first national title in school history in 1995, the program reached a new stratosphere.

Despite the retirement of Don Read in the spring of 1996 and Mick Dennehy's departure to become the head coach at Utah State before the 2000 season, Montana did not skip a beat. Instead, head coach Joe Glenn came to town and rolled to a 39-6 record that included a trip to the 2000 national title game (the Griz fell 28-25 to Georgia Southern) and the 2001 national championship season, capped by a 13-6 win over Furman in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Nuanez will present 20 interviews with former players, coaches, administrators, media members, Missoula and Montana community leaders and much more to unveil an unprecedented run of domination that peaked in the last national championship captured by the Griz. First Security Bank, Blackfoot and ESPN Missoula hope you enjoy Griz Greats - the 20th Anniversary of the 2001 national champion Grizzlies.

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1443437951988289541

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1446254261126328333

Hey Colter, clearly I'm the one here nerding out, but great so far.

The one thing I will say - and sound like a psychopath when I do it - is that the mix is really funky.

I know you guys prob want to condense time and go through and remove your pauses, but the sped up/cut down mix of you speaking is at times .... intense.

Keep up the good work sir.

503Griz said:
Hey Colter, clearly I'm the one here nerding out, but great so far.

The one thing I will say - and sound like a psychopath when I do it - is that the mix is really funky.

I know you guys prob want to condense time and go through and remove your pauses, but the sped up/cut down mix of you speaking is at times .... intense.

Keep up the good work sir.

This is great feedback, thank you! The previous two editions of this podcast series, I obviously had a partner (Tootell) and we also had a podcast editor. I think I found a new editor this week. These first couple, I produced and I'm learning so I appreciate this! It's great to know for quality control.

Keep on listening!

Speaking of production issues... I kicked off the series with this interview with Dylan McFarland but for no fault of our own, the mic was faulty. We did the best we can editing it. The sound isn't great but the stories are excellent.

https://open.spotify.com/episode/396DSjrtGig9l8DVozXa0P?si=CQFqMMi5T_KwV8Tw8ji5-g&dl_branch=1

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1446620821275873284

Next week, we will have episodes with Yohance Humphrey, Etu Molden and Joe Glenn so subscribe!

Huntsberger for Heisman !!

https://missoulian.com/huntsberger-gets-a-vote-for-heisman/article_3cea46ae-1a02-54ad-8256-4c32c977b055.html

Only Listened to Johnny Montana so far, and it was great, but playing outro music during the last question you could barely hear what he was saying as the music was too loud.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to Griz Greats, 2010 Men's BB Championship Game edition...

PeauxRouge said:
Only Listened to Johnny Montana so far, and it was great, but playing outro music during the last question you could barely hear what he was saying as the music was too loud.

Otherwise, I'm looking forward to Griz Greats, 2010 Men's BB Championship Game edition...

Funny you say that bc I went down a huge Anthony Johnson rabbit hole last night.

I'd forgotten that Tinkle just left him in with 4 fouls and 8+ minutes left. Ballsy move by Tinks but the right one.

Btw, how lucky were we to be as loaded at the time at QB. Brandon Neill would've been a starter and a major threat anywhere else in the Sky.

503Griz said:
PeauxRouge said:

Funny you say that bc I went down a huge Anthony Johnson rabbit hole last night.

I'd forgotten that Tinkle just left him in with 4 fouls and 8+ minutes left. Ballsy move by Tinks but the right one.

Btw, how lucky were we to be as loaded at the time at QB. Brandon Neill would've been a starter and a major threat anywhere else in the Sky.

Wow, you are so correct about your observation on Brandon Neill. I took so much heat from Edwards-lovers when I advocated that Neill was a better QB. I am still 100% convinced that we would have beaten the Bobcats that season if Glenn would have replaced a totally ineffective Edwards, with Neill at halftime.

hunt-ducks said:
503Griz said:

Wow, you are so correct about your observation on Brandon Neill. I took so much heat from Edwards-lovers when I advocated that Neill was a better QB. I am still 100% convinced that we would have beaten the Bobcats that season if Glenn would have replaced a totally ineffective Edwards, with Neill at halftime.

Won't ever forget that. I think Edwards was like 1 for 19 at one point.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
Back for another season....

Griz Greats: The 20th Anniversary of the 2001 National Champion Grizzlies brought to you by Blackfoot and First Security Bank is a long form interview series hosted Colter Nuanez of ESPN Missoula chronicling the oral history of the University of Montana's 2001 Division I-AA football title, the last national championship captured by the Griz.

The Griz football program has established a reputation as one of the most dominant in the history of small-school college football over the last 35 years. When the Griz captured the first national title in school history in 1995, the program reached a new stratosphere.

Despite the retirement of Don Read in the spring of 1996 and Mick Dennehy's departure to become the head coach at Utah State before the 2000 season, Montana did not skip a beat. Instead, head coach Joe Glenn came to town and rolled to a 39-6 record that included a trip to the 2000 national title game (the Griz fell 28-25 to Georgia Southern) and the 2001 national championship season, capped by a 13-6 win over Furman in Chattanooga, Tennessee.

Nuanez will present 20 interviews with former players, coaches, administrators, media members, Missoula and Montana community leaders and much more to unveil an unprecedented run of domination that peaked in the last national championship captured by the Griz. First Security Bank, Blackfoot and ESPN Missoula hope you enjoy Griz Greats - the 20th Anniversary of the 2001 national champion Grizzlies.

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1443437951988289541

https://twitter.com/1029ESPN/status/1446254261126328333

Colter, will you still be releasing the remainder of the interviews?
Good stuff.

Back