• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

49 yard filed goals.....

Mousegriz

What's our kicker's career long FG? Has he made a 40 yarder? Up 21 10 following interception mid 3rd quarter Griz try 49 yarder....its blocked and EWU rattles off the next 21 points. Huge momentum turn.I say go for it on 4th and 4 from the 31......get the first and go score a touchdown or get into position the kicker can actually make. His 50 yard attempt at UW had no chance either and could have been costly. Some weird time management down the stretch too. Coulda shoulda had a couple more plays!

Place kicker is the only part of special teams that isn’t special right now. Gonna need good performance at that position at some point this season and I hope it’s there.

retiredpopo said:
Bobby said that was on him he did not have everybody on the same page.

Same page? It could have been THE MOMENT of the game. Go score a touchdown......or at least try (he's not gonna make the FG!!)....and you're up 18. And watching EWU bleed clock before their last FG......and Bobby calling his final TO with 4 seconds left and the clock stopped anyway......I'd have preferred a couple more plays!

Mousegriz said:
What's our kicker's career long FG? Has he made a 40 yarder? Up 21 10 following interception mid 3rd quarter Griz try 49 yarder....its blocked and EWU rattles off the next 21 points. Huge momentum turn.I say go for it on 4th and 4 from the 31......get the first and go score a touchdown or get into position the kicker can actually make. His 50 yard attempt at UW had no chance either and could have been costly. Some weird time management down the stretch too. Coulda shoulda had a couple more plays!

To answer my own question career long is 26 yards! 3 for 6.... hasn't tried one between 30 and 39 yards and hasn't made one over 40!

Mousegriz said:

The blocked punt was the turning point in this game, no question. Of our three options at that point--go for it on fourth down, pooch punt or kick a field goal--I felt the field goal was the worst option.

But remember, Bobby is a special teams coach. Kick returns, field goals--these are his specialties. After we missed that field goal at Washington, Bobby's terse one-line answer to a question about that choice was, "I thought he could make it." But he couldn't. It was short. Bobby should have gone to school on that play. Instead, last night, special teams hubris.

Dude, if you are going to start negative, whinny thread you should at least spell the title correctly.

citay said:
Mousegriz said:

The blocked punt was the turning point in this game, no question. Of our three options at that point--go for it on fourth down, pooch punt or kick a field goal--I felt the field goal was the worst option.

But remember, Bobby is a special teams coach. Kick returns, field goals--these are his specialties. After we missed that field goal at Washington, Bobby's terse one-line answer to a question about that choice was, "I thought he could make it." But he couldn't. It was short. Bobby should have gone to school on that play. Instead, last night, special teams hubris.

On that field goal attempt, it looked to me like the right side of the line was setting up for a fake. There was one guy leaking out to the flat and other lineman were sealing their blocks to the inside for a pass.

https://twitter.com/bigskyconf/status/1444682967150858259?s=21

My thoughts were that it was supposed to be a fake. We all know our kicker can't make that. It was the only thing that makes sense.

daGrizJ said:
Dude, if you are going to start negative, whinny thread you should at least spell the title correctly.

I quickly "filed" the decision as one that showed Bobby wasn't quite ready to try and take the game by the reins and maybe get up 18! 😁 "Whinny"??

Griz Addict said:
My thoughts were that it was supposed to be a fake. We all know our kicker can't make that. It was the only thing that makes sense.
This. Left guard was pulling? Not supposed to kick. Maybe?

It was a blocked field goal attempt! You think it was Kevin Macias’ fault? His two step to the ball was right on. His form was good and dropped his shoulder just before contact. Yes, he can hit from 55-60 normally. Look at the game in Washington and watch the bumbled hold. It was kicked like a duck, and again, it wasn’t his fault. You have to have a good long snap, a good hold, and a great kick to hit from 50. There are multiple variables involved in every attempt that are out of the kickers control. Stop putting players down and saying crap like, “he can’t make it from 50.” Yes, he absolutely can!

406 Grizzly said:
It was a blocked field goal attempt! You think it was Kevin Macias’ fault? His two step to the ball was right on. His form was good and dropped his shoulder just before contact. Yes, he can hit from 55-60 normally. Look at the game in Washington and watch the bumbled hold. It was kicked like a duck, and again, it wasn’t his fault. You have to have a good long snap, a good hold, and a great kick to hit from 50. There are multiple variables involved in every attempt that are out of the kickers control. Stop putting players down and saying crap like, “he can’t make it from 50.” Yes, he absolutely can!

:clap:

406 Grizzly said:
Most kickers with an attempt to kick at their maximum distance will belly the ball a bit more to produce a lower trajectory. Can benefit distance but causes more risk of blockage. But to me it just looks like the RG was blown out on the play. It did not look like a pull; it looked like a bull rush that beat him. Is there something wrong with Moses Mallory?

kemajic said:
406 Grizzly said:
Most kickers with an attempt to kick at their maximum distance will belly the ball a bit more to produce a lower trajectory. Can benefit distance but causes more risk of blockage. But to me it just looks like the RG was blown out on the play. It did not look like a pull; it looked like a bull rush that beat him. Is there something wrong with Moses Mallory?

Good question, but you are right.

I'll wait for that 55 to 60 yarder!😀. But stats show he's made nothing over 26 so far. Griz went on 4th earlier in first half and I watched NFL teams go on 4th a bunch yesterday. My point is that many teams take advantage of an unexpected turnover and good field position with convertible 4th and 4 and go for a three score 18 point lead rather than questionable FG attempt and two score lead. I disagree with Hauck's decision and think it was a huge one.

Back