• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

The Band

Iowagriz

You wanted feedback to improve.

Maybe I was not paying as much attention to game 1, but I noticed more and heavier drum cadence on 2nd and 3rd downs. I don't remember hearing that before. A great addition to the game. Keep working that and get the student section involved with claps or chants to match it.

Great job at homecoming, keep it up.

Iowagriz said:
You wanted feedback to improve.

Maybe I was not paying as much attention to game 1, but I noticed more and heavier drum cadence on 2nd and 3rd downs. I don't remember hearing that before. A great addition to the game. Keep working that and get the student section involved with claps or chants to match it.

Great job at homecoming, keep it up.

Thank you, I am always looking to improve our performance. We have written some new drum grooves and the group always gets better as they get used to the pacing. We do have to share the time with canned music but we try to make that seamless.

We are also getting in touch with some of the students who are trying to get the student section working together more. The plan is to get them accustomed to our drum work and tunes so we can coordinate movements and chants. The spirit squad will be involved in this too.

Since I've been here, I've always thought that we should be looking to match (or exceed) some of the great FBS atmospheres. In fact, when I'm at convention, I don't attend the sessions designed for smaller schools. Those sessions really don't apply to a place like Wa-Griz.

UMGMB said:
... In fact, when I'm at convention, I don't attend the sessions designed for smaller schools. Those sessions really don't apply to a place like Wa-Griz.
That is SOooo cool!

And so true. Aside from the pandemic, average attendance at WaGriz is actually greater than probably a third of all the FBS school, and buries most FCS programs.

Awesome to hear about getting the students more involved. I was thinking that if you get a few of their vocal leaders involved, the others will follow. You'll create a whole new tradition.

I keep thinking of the drums from a Sounders or Timbers soccer game and how they get the crowd involved. Or, the thunder clap at the soccer games (like the Skil clap at the Vikings game)

Latest posts

Back