• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Rosenbach’s Game Plan for EWU

Ursa Major

DONOR
Open question to the board, what do you think the opening offensive game plan will be next week?

EWU’s defense has been nothing but porous this year both thru the air (Western Illinois) and through the ground (UNLV).

Do you see our offensive plan being primarily ground and pound, setting up (hopefully) long, consistent scoring drives to keep their offense off the field? Or, do the Griz open up the passing game to start the game to open up the running game?

As another poster suggested, you beat the Griz by forcing Cam to air it out. If the Eagles defensive coordinator buys into this theory, you can expect them to start the game by crowding the box.

Which strategy does Tim open up with?

This is a team that you don’t want to get in a track meet with. See the WIU game of what not to do. Our offensive plan better involve some run and hopefully long sustained drives. Our defensive plan better not allow as many crossing routes as yesterday. Those rub/pick plays killed us yesterday to allow a lot of YAC.

I’m gonna refer to Coach Madden on this one. Gets some good runs and make some good passes and then score more points then the other guys. I think that’s the best bet.

If it works, go ground and pound for as long as possible. The longer you can keep their offense off the field, the better chance you have. I do think their defense will struggle with whatever we do offensively, but our defense was on the field way too much yesterday. We need to keep their offense off the field. The lower scoring game this is, the better the outcome.

Wolf777 said:
This is a team that you don’t want to get in a track meet with. See the WIU game of what not to do. Our offensive plan better involve some run and hopefully long sustained drives. Our defensive plan better not allow as many crossing routes as yesterday. Those rub/pick plays killed us yesterday to allow a lot of YAC.
They ran a ton of the Read flanker screens. Baldwin had us well scouted and we played vanilla.

alabamagrizzly said:
I’m gonna refer to Coach Madden on this one. Gets some good runs and make some good passes and then score more points then the other guys. I think that’s the best bet.
We will get away from the vanilla play we saw yesterday and open up the playbook.

kemajic said:
Wolf777 said:
They ran a ton of the Read flanker screens. Baldwin had us well scouted and we played vanilla.

Baldwin is a great coach who was smart enough to get the hell out of Cheney. People aren’t giving Cal Poly enough credit. Baldwin will soon have them at the top of the Big Sky.

goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:

Baldwin is a great coach who was smart enough to get the hell out of Cheney. People aren’t giving Cal Poly enough credit. Baldwin will soon have them at the top of the Big Sky.
This will come to be.

Our young running backs just aren’t mature enough yet. I don’t think we can run the ball effectively for 4 quarters. EWU’s defense is bad, so hopefully I am wrong. Lots of missed gaps/holes being taken by going backs. Just need more experience. Would be nice to see Ostmo back, but probably ain’t gonna happen.

Griz til I die said:
If it works, go ground and pound for as long as possible. The longer you can keep their offense off the field, the better chance you have. I do think their defense will struggle with whatever we do offensively, but our defense was on the field way too much yesterday. We need to keep their offense off the field. The lower scoring game this is, the better the outcome.

^^^This.^^^

The way to beat a high scoring team like eastern is to keep their offense off of the field. If the O-line opens holes to give the backs room to run, we'll be in good shape. Control the line of scrimmage and keep Barriere on the sidelines. I'd like to see 175-200 yards rushing.

Ursa Major said:
Open question to the board, what do you think the opening offensive game plan will be next week?

EWU’s defense has been nothing but porous this year both thru the air (Western Illinois) and through the ground (UNLV).

Do you see our offensive plan being primarily ground and pound, setting up (hopefully) long, consistent scoring drives to keep their offense off the field? Or, do the Griz open up the passing game to start the game to open up the running game?

As another poster suggested, you beat the Griz by forcing Cam to air it out. If the Eagles defensive coordinator buys into this theory, you can expect them to start the game by crowding the box.

Which strategy does Tim open up with?

We aren’t going to be scared like we have to dominate TOP. They believe in our defense. They also don’t think that we have to play different than normal to win. That being said… our offense is run first. CP had some success with blitz packages and cam got a little happy feet sometimes. I would image you see a lot of internal blitz packages from Ewu. To stop the run and to force cam to move his feet. I don’t think it will stop us. I think we can easily put up 40 on Ewu if we want too. But I think we will try to score quick early and then try and slow it down and wear them down so that we can control quarter 4. That’s always our strategy but even more so vs Ewu.

Ewu is going to score. I doubt we hold them under 30, but let’s hope we do. Expect Ewu to use some motion to try and get our safety’s to give up their coverage and then they will try to use that. We still have weakness can deep routes. I would assume you see them run a lot of quick routes early. Then some double moves and longer patterns later. Hoping they can get us to let off blitzing and have to play the flats. Then EB will use those empty lanes to run on broken plays or plays where we do have good coverage. Ewu is going to be a real test to try and stop. I think we will buckle down in the redzone when we only have to cover 30 instead of 60

goatcreekgriz said:
kemajic said:

Right below the Griz. :cool: :cool:

mtgrizfankb said:
We aren’t going to be scared like we have to dominate TOP. They believe in our defense. They also don’t think that we have to play different than normal to win. That being said… our offense is run first. CP had some success with blitz packages and cam got a little happy feet sometimes. I would image you see a lot of internal blitz packages from Ewu. To stop the run and to force cam to move his feet. I don’t think it will stop us. I think we can easily put up 40 on Ewu if we want too. But I think we will try to score quick early and then try and slow it down and wear them down so that we can control quarter 4. That’s always our strategy but even more so vs Ewu.

Ewu is going to score. I doubt we hold them under 30, but let’s hope we do. Expect Ewu to use some motion to try and get our safety’s to give up their coverage and then they will try to use that. We still have weakness can deep routes. I would assume you see them run a lot of quick routes early. Then some double moves and longer patterns later. Hoping they can get us to let off blitzing and have to play the flats. Then EB will use those empty lanes to run on broken plays or plays where we do have good coverage. Ewu is going to be a real test to try and stop. I think we will buckle down in the redzone when we only have to cover 30 instead of 60

I like your analysis, but I think the Linebackers can get the pressure on EB just from the normal scheme and keep him from having enough time for the receivers to develop their routes that he won't be as effective. Look at what happened back in 2019. This defense is even better than that one.

I think this game will be one where we miss Knight the most. He has the patience and vision these young guys just don't have enough experience with yet. I think we will continue to see a lot of outside zone runs in order to use the speed of X which in turn should open up the play action game for some deeper shots down the field. The line needs to play better this week and clean up some of those holding penalties that cost us some big runs.

The way that I see this game.... The Key will be averaging 3 yards on 1st down.

If you can average 3 yards at least on 1st down, you can keep the ball on the ground and have short 2nd and 3rd downs to work with... If you always have 2nd and 10 or 9 you close the playbook to a lot of calls. I don't see your coaching staff taking chances on Offense (at least they haven't really this year). UM is averaging 1.8 yards a play right now...

Back