• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Good, Bad, Ugly - Cal Poly

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Good:
- when you have mixed feelings about a 39-7 beat down
- special teams, MVP - blocked punt by Janacaro who then jumped on it for a TD. He also blew up some guys on kick coverage. Then Flowers taking it to the house. Then Buschini flipping field and averaging 45 yards per punt with basically no returns. Then Macias being perfect on PATs and his FG
- defense continues to play like crazy. I believe the unofficial count got up to 36 straight drives where they did not give up a point before CP finally scored (that has to be some kind of ncaa or big sky record)
- X Harris can be the X factor. He quietly racked up 70 yards on only 9 carries averaging 7.8 ypc.
- Sammy Akem 65 yard TD with a stiff arm at end to get the TD. He can be such a force.
- Joey Elwell catching his first TD as a Griz
- no turnovers
- Garrett Graves racking up 11 tackles while playing for Gavin Robertson
- Patrick O’Connell is making a case for Big Sky Defensive MVP….9 tackles, 3.5 TFL, another sack, and how about that speed on the scooped fumble for a long TD that got called back
- pick 6 for Belknap
- new beer garden absolutely packed at halftime allowing more people to get back to seats quickly

Bad:
- offense was inconsistent and needs to play better. Maybe some rust coming off a bye
- need to run the ball better
- too many penalties and too many holds
- too many missed tackles

Ugly:
- the no call on a pass interference where CP defender hit our receiver 2 seconds before ball arrived
- the swass that was incurred by 25k people in 82 degree heat

Refs were in the “Bad” column all day. So many missed calls, or called one way and not the other. Then the sideline interference was total BS…..

Good: Cal Poly’s play calling on both sides of the ball, especially on offense. I thought they had just a brilliant game plan yesterday. You can tell that they are an extremely well coached team, and while they may struggle this year, it won’t be long before they’re consistently competing for conference championships. It may be as soon as next year. I was pretty impressed.

Griz til I die said:
Good: Cal Poly’s play calling on both sides of the ball, especially on offense. I thought they had just a brilliant game plan yesterday. You can tell that they are an extremely well coached team, and while they may struggle this year, it won’t be long before they’re consistently competing for conference championships. It may be as soon as next year. I was pretty impressed.

This.

It seems like no one wants to give Cal Poly any credit but honestly they had a great game plan put together and their guys played hard. It won't be long until they have a good team.

I thought the O/l was very average...especially after how they had been playing this season.....( bad category)

AZGrizFan said:
Refs were in the “Bad” column all day. So many missed calls, or called one way and not the other. Then the sideline interference was total BS…..
I wasn't able to watch much of the game, but had friends texting me about several blown holding calls, and several other missed penalties. Sounds like a rough came for the crew.

Griz til I die said:

With 2nd and 3rd string qbs.

rgrizfan said:
Griz til I die said:

And Montana playing total vanilla on both offense and defense. No desire to provide any interesting film for EWU. Special Teams was, well, special.

Bad and Ugly...Cal Poly's QB injury...I hope that young man heals up quickly and that it is nothing horrible.

kemajic said:
rgrizfan said:
And Montana playing total vanilla on both offense and defense. No desire to provide any interesting film for EWU. Special Teams was, well, special.

That's what I was thinking. Yesterday's game seemed more to mislead EWU than to stomp all over Cal Poly

HelenaHandBasket said:
I don't find the "vanilla" excuse very reassuring when the offense struggled with execution and consistency all afternoon.

I agree. If everything was so vanilla why the semi-statue of liberty play and the 2pt conversation? Seemed to me it was just not a great day for a number of players.

kemajic said:

if there isn't already a bobby-themed church of some sort, where the gospel of 'only wonderous things happen when bobby is involved' is sung and preached and ritualed and celebrated, and the power of bobby is ever-expanded by the believers, to the point of making shit up, you should form one. if there isn't one, columbus doesn't sound like a bad place to start. i'm rooting for you.

Griz til I die said:
fltheadgriz said:
Bad and Ugly...Cal Poly's QB injury...I hope that young man heals up quickly and that it is nothing horrible.
He broke his collarbone.

Don't think he did it. It was broken for him. There were some brutal hits yesterday.

Ursus1 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
I don't find the "vanilla" excuse very reassuring when the offense struggled with execution and consistency all afternoon.

I agree. If everything was so vanilla why the semi-statue of liberty play and the 2pt conversation? Seemed to me it was just not a great day for a number of players.

All of that is literally to get it on film and give other teams stuff they now have to think about and game plan for….nothing more, nothing less. It’s brilliant really.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Funny. No excuses necessary for a 32 point win. Just an offering on a reason your entertainment may have been compromised.

HookedonGriz said:
Ursus1 said:

All of that is literally to get it on film and give other teams stuff they now have to think about and game plan for….nothing more, nothing less. It’s brilliant really.
Exactly.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Funny. No excuses necessary for a 32 point win. Just an offering on a reason your entertainment may have been compromised.

Then why are you pushing the "vanilla" excuse for the lackluster offensive showing?

kemajic said:
rgrizfan said:

Vanilla??? What game did you watch? We lined up in probably 20 different formations. On offense. We ran power sets, we ran trick plays, end a rounds, screens, double routes, multiple different pull plays for the o line. I would say Montana played the exact opposite of vanilla. I think they ran so many sets and formations that it was hard to build consistency.

On defense we brought about 30 blitzes from almost every different place. We played everything from single to triple safety. We ran nickel sets, four down, three down, one down. Again not sure how we can do any more of showing everything. Again I think we did so much that at time we were out of position for what CP was running

Back