• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Why is there no coverage of Griz game in Missoulian today?

KILO217

In the past, Griz home games garner 2-3 articles and the team stats in our local newspaper. I don't see any articles about the Griz in today's Missoulian. Anyone know why?!

I'm back in Michigan wanting to read about yesterdays game. Five stories about MSU including a Volleyball article. WTF! Has it become the Missoula Chronical.

Media is now pro-Marxism and football has always been pro-Capitalism. They don’t like each other. End of story.

Go Griz!

bigtyme said:
Media is now pro-Marxism and football has always been pro-Capitalism. They don’t like each other. End of story.

Go Griz!

Rupert goin be pissed, ten bucks and I won't tell.

Screw that “news” paper. They have multiple Cat segments after there PSU game. The Missoulian hate the Griz! No other way to put it AND they are making it very well known.

The Missoulian closed its press. Therefore they have to outsource the printing of the paper to Helena. Their deadline is in the late afternoon/early evening. Therefore, sports will suffer greatly in the print edition because most games will not have even started by deadline and in yesterday's case, the press conference did not end until 5:15 so the paper was probably already in bed before Frank even had a chance to write about it.

The corporatization of media is what is killing traditional media. It's been going this way for more than a decade. Sad.

at least our local news stations have something,,,,,,

https://nbcmontana.com/sports/content/griz-football-to-host-cal-poly-for-homecoming

https://www.kpax.com/sports/rapid-reaction-no-4-montana-39-cal-poly-7

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
The Missoulian closed its press. Therefore they have to outsource the printing of the paper to Helena. Their deadline is in the late afternoon/early evening. Therefore, sports will suffer greatly in the print edition because most games will not have even started by deadline and in yesterday's case, the press conference did not end until 5:15 so the paper was probably already in bed before Frank even had a chance to write about it.

The corporatization of media is what is killing traditional media. It's been going this way for more than a decade. Sad.

Wasn't the bobcat game 2 hrs later than the griz game?

http://406mtsports.com/

This is where one can read about the griz. Still slanted toward the cats. 3+ articles on them. One about us last I checked.

grizfan406 said:
Colter_Nuanez56 said:

Yes. The primary factors here (and I have not seen the Missoulian in print aside from
Special sections I pick up like fall prep sports tab previews) are that Lee Enterprises is now sharing sports content with Pioneer, who owns the Chronicle. So a beat writer for both the Gazette and Chron were in Portland yesterday. The other factor is MSU sports information produces newspaper style press releases for every athletic event that the newspapers can lazily just run without much if any tweaking. UM press releases are written much differently because Montana wants everyone to go to gogriz.com as primary content supplier.

That doesn’t solve why MSU football would be in print today and Montana would not. I have not seen today’s paper so I have no way of knowing that’s true but if it is, there’s a variety of whys and I promise you the why it is not is that the Missoulian hates the Griz. The Missoulian is well aware that one of the only reasons folks pick up their newspaper is the Griz no matter the slant of the stories.

I’ll do some digging. Can you for sure confirm that there are no Griz football stories in Sunday’s print Missoulian? If so, that’s wild and something must’ve happened. Because reporter and photographer were definitely there at the game yesterday.

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/special-teams-defense-propel-montana-to-win-over-cal-poly-first-3-0-start-since/article_73dd18fd-d5c4-5e87-97e4-3c4364363c5a.html

I see people are wondering why hardly any coverage of the game on Saturday.... Here you go.

KILO217 said:
In the past, Griz home games garner 2-3 articles and the team stats in our local newspaper. I don't see any articles about the Griz in today's Missoulian. Anyone know why?!

Others have answered this to some degree, but look for those 2nd and 3rd articles with post-game quotes and other Big Sky game wrap-up info in Monday's Missoulian. Their cut-off is obscenely early now that they print out of Helena like Colter said. Newspapers have already become borderline obsolete to many, but when you can't even provide scores from the night before, local daily newspapers are about to go the way of the dinosaur. Enjoy the Missoulian while you can. It won't exist in a cpl years.

Cowboys84 said:
https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/university-of-montana/special-teams-defense-propel-montana-to-win-over-cal-poly-first-3-0-start-since/article_73dd18fd-d5c4-5e87-97e4-3c4364363c5a.html

I see people are wondering why hardly any coverage of the game on Saturday.... Here you go.

They were actually wondering about the lack of game coverage in the print edition. But aren't you special.

bigtyme said:

Go Griz!

You have it backasswards. Capitalism controls the media (especially lousy and poorly-managed companies like Lee Enterprises), and the print media is losing out to more efficient alternatives.

Colter_Nuanez56 said:
grizfan406 said:

Yes. The primary factors here (and I have not seen the Missoulian in print aside from
Special sections I pick up like fall prep sports tab previews) are that Lee Enterprises is now sharing sports content with Pioneer, who owns the Chronicle. So a beat writer for both the Gazette and Chron were in Portland yesterday. The other factor is MSU sports information produces newspaper style press releases for every athletic event that the newspapers can lazily just run without much if any tweaking. UM press releases are written much differently because Montana wants everyone to go to gogriz.com as primary content supplier.

That doesn’t solve why MSU football would be in print today and Montana would not. I have not seen today’s paper so I have no way of knowing that’s true but if it is, there’s a variety of whys and I promise you the why it is not is that the Missoulian hates the Griz. The Missoulian is well aware that one of the only reasons folks pick up their newspaper is the Griz no matter the slant of the stories.

I’ll do some digging. Can you for sure confirm that there are no Griz football stories in Sunday’s print Missoulian? If so, that’s wild and something must’ve happened. Because reporter and photographer were definitely there at the game yesterday.

There were articles on the Griz game in the printed Missoulian on Sunday. And the Cats. Hangovers must have been pretty heavy for some.

Zirg said:
KILO217 said:

Others have answered this to some degree, but look for those 2nd and 3rd articles with post-game quotes and other Big Sky game wrap-up info in Monday's Missoulian. Their cut-off is obscenely early now that they print out of Helena like Colter said. Newspapers have already become borderline obsolete to many, but when you can't even provide scores from the night before, local daily newspapers are about to go the way of the dinosaur. Enjoy the Missoulian while you can. It won't exist in a cpl years.

The other thing worth noting is that Sunday sports sections used to be 16, 24, even 32 pages long with full box scores and recaps of not just Big Sky Conference teams but all professional teams, high school, everything.

The biggest issue is a conundrum: even if you had the staff to cover everything like it should be covered, you wouldn't have the space in the print newspaper. And if you did have a 16-page section, you wouldn't enough people to design it let alone write it etc.

To bad this the case, times sure do change and not always for the better. Like a great deal of fans we travel from out of town and usually spend the night. I use to enjoy getting up early, go down to the front desk of our hotel grab a paper for the sports section and a cup of coffee and sit back and read all about the game and catch up on other scores. Oh well.

To bad this the case, times sure do change and not always for the better. Like a great deal of fans we travel from out of town and usually spend the night. I use to enjoy getting up early, go down to the front desk of our hotel grab a paper for the sports section and a cup of coffee and sit back and read all about the game and catch up on other scores. Oh well.

Back