• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

FCS Poll Guesses (Sept 19)

IdaGriz01

An interesting weekend for ranked FCS teams (four of which were idle). Three lost, but to another ranked team or to an FBS opponent. It’s hard to guess how far they might slip, but I don’t think it will be a lot.

Guess, Team (Record), [Current Rank]
#1 Sam Houston (2-0) [1]
#2 South Dakota State (2-0) [2]
#3 James Madison (3-0) [3]
#4 Montana (2-0) [4]
#5 NDSU (3-0) [5]
#6 EWU (3-0) [7]
#7 Southern Illinois (2-1) [8]
#8 Jacksonville State (2-1) [10]
#9 Delaware (2-1) [6]
#10 North Dakota (2-1) [11]
#11 Villanova (3-0) [12]
#12 Montana State (2-1) [13]
#13 Weber State (1-2) [9]
#14 UC Davis (3-0) [14]
#15 SE LA (2-1) [15]
#16 ETSU (3-0) [16]
#17 Missouri State (2-0) [17]
#18 UNI (2-1) [18]
#19 Austin Peay (2-1) [19]
#20 Monmouth (2-1) [20]
#21 VMI (2-1) [22]
#22 New Hampshire (3-0) [23]
#23 Richmond (2-1) [21]
#24 Kennesaw State (2-1) [24]
#25 Cent. Arkansas (1-2) [25]

Delaware lost to Rutgers, which is now 3-0 for the first time since 2012. But that favorable record is suspect: their two earlier wins were against Temple (1-2) and Syracuse (2-1), neither of which is worth getting excited about. Normally, we might expect a drop by three or four spots … I guessed just three, seeing as the Blue Hens are in the CAA. (A drop of only two would not shock me, BTW.)

Weber, of course, lost to a highly ranked FCS opponent. I still chose to drop them four spots, and more than that wouldn’t surprise me. Their current record (1-2) sticks out like a sore thumb sitting at #13, so I could see them going down a couple more spots. (Yes, I know their other loss was to FBS Utah, but the Utes (1-2) aren’t very good and many pollsters don’t dig that deep anyway.)

I’m guessing that Richmond’s loss (by just one TD) to a ranked CAA opponent won’t hurt them that much. A drop by two spots puts them just below New Hampshire (3-0), so that looks about right.

retiredpopo said:
I think ewu will drop several spots. They let a 0-3 team score 56 points.
Nothing the pollsters might do would surprise me.

However, the Eags did win (on the road), so I think they're probably safe.

To me at this point UC Davis should be above WEBER. If Weber loses to UC Davis this week they should drop out of the top 25

RayWill said:
To me at this point UC Davis should be above WEBER. If Weber loses to UC Davis this week they should drop out of the top 25
As I said above, it would not surprise me if they drop a couple more spots. I also agree that another loss, giving them a 1-3 record, would almost certainly bump them out of the top-25.

These things will start to straighten out in a week or two when teams start actually playing similar teams.

dupuyer griz said:
These things will start to straighten out in a week or two when teams start actually playing similar teams.
Particularly when there aren't so many money games still being played. I just made a quick count and found nine FCS-FBS matchups this coming weekend. (And I might have missed a few.) Three of those involve ranked teams:
Villanova [FCS #12] at #6 Penn State
New Hampshire [FCS #23] at Pittsburgh
Richmond [FCS #21] at Virginia Tech

So, barring major upsets, three FCS-ranked teams will most likely have a loss tacked onto their records. It's always a puzzle what the pollsters will make of those.

3-7-77 said:
There are several polls. This is just one of them.

758751.jpg

Idle and we jumped ndsu and are at #4 in the coaches poll this week…
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll

DuCharme said:
Idle and we jumped ndsu and are at #4 in the coaches poll this week…
https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/football/fcs/fcs-coaches-poll
I find it interesting that the coaches still have Chattanooga ranked in the top-25. They lost at home to Austin Peay and their one win, on the road at North Alabama (0-3), was not particularly impressive.

Back