• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2021 offense discussion, strengths / concerns

BWahlberg

DONOR
We're finally getting closer to some Grizzly football, with fall camp for the team starting next week! We've had a long damn time to discuss this season, the team, etc. Thought I'd share some thoughts on what will be worth watching to develop as we get into the season.

First off, here's my guess at a 2-deep based on the spring games and the end of the 2019 season:

QB: Humphrey / Brown
RB: Ostmo / Harris or Childs
WR: Akem / Simpson
WR: Roberts / Flowers
WR: Sulser / White
TE: Grossman / Rensvold or Elwell
T: Beaver / Bloemendaal
T: Cook / Kanouse
G: Pillans / Keintz
G: Mallory / Ganoung
C: Forbes / Martin

Strengths

- Incredibly talented WR pool that's legit 2-deep with maybe one of the best WRs in the Big Sky, if not the FCS in Akem.

- Senior QB at the helm which is something this staff always wants to have, add in Humphrey had 2 1/2 games of starting experience in 2019 and 2 more this spring.

- Starting OL is stacked, experienced, and mean AF. Backups are coming along, I had to take some guesses at a few spots on depth, lots of rotation in the spring but the group looked good regardless

- Stable of RBs provide a great trio that should soften the loss of Knight

- While younger we've finally got some TE's that this staff wants in this offense, ones that can block when needed and get open and beat defenses as well.

Concerns

- Tackle depth is young and somewhat untested, and honestly I had to guess at the guys filling it and could be wrong with who's there.

- Humphrey didn't look like a Sneed or Johnson in their senior seasons in his 2 spring games. Should we be worried? Depth behind him we saw Brown make some major strides since showing up, QB's beyond that are a total unknown.

- TE experience is really low with Deming gone

- Marcus Knight will be missed on the field

-----------------
I think there's a lot to be excited for with this offense and we saw cases for that this spring when the offense put together two games in a row with over 500 yards and an average of 53.5 points per game. Yes it was against a D2 school and what seemed to be really rusty PSU that didn't appear to be on our level. This will be the first year in quite some time that the Griz will have an OL that's all over 300 pounds, with I believe just about every player, including some depth guys, with multiple prior starts/seasons under the belt too. This team will go as far as the O-line can push it and this spring gave me great hope for that. The WR corps, our athletic TEs, and the trio of running backs we'll presumably lean on will help spread the ball out and should make it easier for Cam to get rolling into the season. Like always, injuries and thin depth in some areas weigh heavy as a concern but practically no team in college football is free from those worries.

Good write up sir. My biggest concern is the running game. Get that going and watch out!

Go Griz!!!

BWahlberg said:
We're finally getting closer to some Grizzly football, with fall camp for the team starting next week! We've had a long damn time to discuss this season, the team, etc. Thought I'd share some thoughts on what will be worth watching to develop as we get into the season.

First off, here's my guess at a 2-deep based on the spring games and the end of the 2019 season:

QB: Humphrey / Brown
RB: Ostmo / Harris or Childs
WR: Akem / Simpson
WR: Roberts / Flowers
WR: Sulser / White
TE: Grossman / Rensvold or Elwell
T: Beaver / Bloemendaal
T: Cook / Kanouse
G: Pillans / Keintz
G: Mallory / Ganoung
C: Forbes / Martin

Strengths

- Incredibly talented WR pool that's legit 2-deep with maybe one of the best WRs in the Big Sky, if not the FCS in Akem.

- Senior QB at the helm which is something this staff always wants to have, add in Humphrey had 2 1/2 games of starting experience in 2019 and 2 more this spring.

- Starting OL is stacked, experienced, and mean AF. Backups are coming along, I had to take some guesses at a few spots on depth, lots of rotation in the spring but the group looked good regardless

- Stable of RBs provide a great trio that should soften the loss of Knight

- While younger we've finally got some TE's that this staff wants in this offense, ones that can block when needed and get open and beat defenses as well.

Concerns

- Tackle depth is young and somewhat untested, and honestly I had to guess at the guys filling it and could be wrong with who's there.

- Humphrey didn't look like a Sneed or Johnson in their senior seasons in his 2 spring games. Should we be worried? Depth behind him we saw Brown make some major strides since showing up, QB's beyond that are a total unknown.

- TE experience is really low with Deming gone

- Marcus Knight will be missed on the field

-----------------
I think there's a lot to be excited for with this offense and we saw cases for that this spring when the offense put together two games in a row with over 500 yards and an average of 53.5 points per game. Yes it was against a D2 school and what seemed to be really rusty PSU that didn't appear to be on our level. This will be the first year in quite some time that the Griz will have an OL that's all over 300 pounds, with I believe just about every player, including some depth guys, with multiple prior starts/seasons under the belt too. This team will go as far as the O-line can push it and this spring gave me great hope for that. The WR corps, our athletic TEs, and the trio of running backs we'll presumably lean on will help spread the ball out and should make it easier for Cam to get rolling into the season. Like always, injuries and thin depth in some areas weigh heavy as a concern but practically no team in college football is free from those worries.

I would agree with almost all of this and think it was ultimately a great analysis. The one thing I would change is Blomendahll out of the backup tackle spot. Last season he was taking center reps in the pregame warmups and he is not really a prototypical tackle size at all so I'd say that he is an interior Oline guy. If the new transfer Hunter Mayguinnes is as good as some say he is I'd bet he takes a backup guard spot and Colton Kientz is moved to backup tackle. Kanouse is also listed as a guard on the roster, so for that backup tackle spot I would look for either Colin Dries or Brandon Casey. Brandon Casey was a very sought after recruit so i would bet on him being put with the twos just for development purposes. As for Colin Dreis, I heard he was a little dinged up during the spring so he didn't compete and we have no idea what his progression is so far. But overall yes I agree our tackle depth may be weak but this season could be a big stepping stone for some of the younger guys looking to fill those tackle roles once Cook and Beaver are gone.

I believe for the 1st time is a very long time, if even ever, the Griz will be led in rushing by a freshman. I liked what I saw from Harris and think he is for real.
Thanks Brint! Look forward to your future reports, it is a huge part of the Grizzly football experience for me!

Well crap, I thought fall camp started this week and was wondering where all the updates were. I guess I’ll have to wait another week.

In Hauck’s first year back, he was pretty transparent about the state of the Grizzly roster. There seems to be a pretty positive sentiment coming from the coaching staff, other coaches and the media for this years Grizzlies. I think it’s going to be a great year and I haven’t been this excited for Griz Football in a long time.

Biggest position questions are at QB and Running Back.

Gues who’s back.....back again.....Wahlberg’s back.....tell a friend....guess who’s back, guess who’s back, guess who’s back

Holy Shit.....this means football is almost here!! Finally!

GrizJohnson said:
I would agree with almost all of this and think it was ultimately a great analysis. The one thing I would change is Blomendahll out of the backup tackle spot. Last season he was taking center reps in the pregame warmups and he is not really a prototypical tackle size at all so I'd say that he is an interior Oline guy. If the new transfer Hunter Mayguinnes is as good as some say he is I'd bet he takes a backup guard spot and Colton Kientz is moved to backup tackle. Kanouse is also listed as a guard on the roster, so for that backup tackle spot I would look for either Colin Dries or Brandon Casey. Brandon Casey was a very sought after recruit so i would bet on him being put with the twos just for development purposes. As for Colin Dreis, I heard he was a little dinged up during the spring so he didn't compete and we have no idea what his progression is so far. But overall yes I agree our tackle depth may be weak but this season could be a big stepping stone for some of the younger guys looking to fill those tackle roles once Cook and Beaver are gone.

Good to know on the O-line, I was taking a bit of a guess on the depth. They were rotating a lot of guys this spring. I like the guys we have in the OL group - at some point they're going to get a chance to make it. I don't feel like it's thin on talent, just experience (when it comes to depth).

reinell30 said:
I believe for the 1st time is a very long time, if even ever, the Griz will be led in rushing by a freshman. I liked what I saw from Harris and think he is for real.
Thanks Brint! Look forward to your future reports, it is a huge part of the Grizzly football experience for me!

If we get PSU-game Harris for the season, I agree!

My biggest concern is the QB depth with Humphrey having the concussion he had in the spring Brown is a very good backup, Rygol seems to have left the team as he’s no longer on the roster, Patterson seems to be injured quite a bit, Rostad as far as I know moved to LB so behind them is freshman Daniel Britt and Quinn Lamers

If (when) we are in post season you all can thank me. Driving the old 89 3/4 p/u and Akem riding a bike cuts right across in front of me on a green light. Luckily I have super reflexes. He looked at me and realized he f*cked up.
He owes me.

grizfan1984 said:
My biggest concern is the QB depth with Humphrey having the concussion he had in the spring Brown is a very good backup, Rygol seems to have left the team as he’s no longer on the roster, Patterson seems to be injured quite a bit, Rostad as far as I know moved to LB so behind them is freshman Daniel Britt and Quinn Lamers

Still can’t believe they couldn’t scrape together a schollie for the UW kid who wanted to come here. Hope that doesn’t end up biting us in the ass….

fanofzoo said:
If (when) we are in post season you all can thank me. Driving the old 89 3/4 p/u and Akem riding a bike cuts right across in front of me on a green light. Luckily I have super reflexes. He looked at me and realized he f*cked up.
He owes me.

No, we all owe you sir.

fanofzoo said:
He owes me.

TYFYS.

Listing Humphrey in the strength discussion merely because he is a senior? Unfortunately, talent (or lack thereof) has little to do with class. A kid can either play, or he can't. The QB position is the biggest unknown on this team. Humphrey will be the weakest starting QB at UM since the transfer from Bowling Green started for a few games before being replaced. It has less to do with Humphrey's physical ability, and more to do with his decision-making ability. You know Bobby's hatred for turnovers. Need I say more?

I have absolutely no concerns about the tight end position. We have three players there who are all capable of excelling.

An area of concern is our depth and experience level at the LB position. A couple of injuries at that position could be troubling.

hunt-ducks said:
Listing Humphrey in the strength discussion merely because he is a senior? Unfortunately, talent (or lack thereof) has little to do with class. A kid can either play, or he can't. The QB position is the biggest unknown on this team. Humphrey will be the weakest starting QB at UM since the transfer from Bowling Green started for a few games before being replaced. It has less to do with Humphrey's physical ability, and more to do with his decision-making ability. You know Bobby's hatred for turnovers. Need I say more?

I have absolutely no concerns about the tight end position. We have three players there who are all capable of excelling.

An area of concern is our depth and experience level at the LB position. A couple of injuries at that position could be troubling.

And strangely, some people have neither...

hunt-ducks said:

Wouldn’t it be better to support Humphrey, especially when the season hasn’t started?

Back