• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Next Three years Schedule

RayWill

At least there are no division 2 on there

https://gogriz.com/news/2021/7/24/f...aBjO5SQCvlK0iZzXGByjDHhTBpq23xRebr3BCSQz8FxNQ

Future_Schedules.jpg

Thx, RW. I’m assuming 2023 only has 10 games because we are going to fill that early open date with one. I hope. Also, no EWU that year is kinda weird. Looks like we go back to 12 games in 2024?

7 home games in 2024. If it weren't for the pandemic and the lost season in 2020, Montana State game would have been in Missoula there would be 8 home games. Bummer.

RayWill said:
DoubleNicks said:
No Idaho in 2024. Is the conference going away from always playing your 2 regional rivals?

Good catch II didn't notice that

It looks like our “protected rivals” for at least these three seasons will be Montana State (obviously) and Portland State (the only other team we play in each of these three seasons). Eastern gets MSU and Idaho, and MSU only plays EWU in the three seasons.

I hate the way this conference schedules games.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/bigskyconf.com/documents/2021/7/24/2022_2024_Football_Schedules_2021_07_16.pdf

get'em_griz said:
RayWill said:
Good catch II didn't notice that

It looks like our “protected rivals” for at least these three seasons will be Montana State (obviously) and Portland State (the only other team we play in each of these three seasons). Eastern gets MSU and Idaho, and MSU only plays EWU in the three seasons.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/sidearm.sites/bigskyconf.com/documents/2021/7/24/2022_2024_Football_Schedules_2021_07_16.pdf
To be fair to the big sky, they did take feedback from the schools this year on how they’d like to structure the schedule so it’s hard to put the blame on them for this one.

Hard to imagine how anyone can be excited when looking at the schedule for the next three years. Yes, I’m aware the opponents are mainly Big Sky opponents. That’s why I’m not excited.

Spanky2 said:
Hard to imagine how anyone can be excited when looking at the schedule for the next three years. Yes, I’m aware the opponents are mainly Big Sky opponents. That’s why I’m not excited.

Shouldn't most of your opponents be from the conference ypu are in? Unless you are an independant. Oh, that's right, you hate us being in any FCS conference.

MikeyGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Shouldn't most of your opponents be from the conference ypu are in? Unless you are an independant. Oh, that's right, you hate us being in any FCS conference.

You are correct, however, there is little we can do about it as we waited too long. I love the Griz even when they play Dixie State or Northern Colorado. Heck, I’ll be watching even if Haslam schedules Rocky Mountain College.

CDAGRIZ said:
Looks like we go back to 12 games in 2024?
FCS allows 12 games in those years that have an extra Saturday between start and playoffs. We last had 12 in 2019.

kemajic said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Looks like we go back to 12 games in 2024?
FCS allows 12 games in those years that have an extra Saturday between start and playoffs. We last had 12 in 2019.

Thanks, Kem. I’m an idiot. I should’ve known that.

TrueGriz said:
7 home games in 2024. If it weren't for the pandemic and the lost season in 2020, Montana State game would have been in Missoula there would be 8 home games. Bummer.

No there wouldn’t. One of the other home games would have become a road game.

AZGrizFan said:
TrueGriz said:

No there wouldn’t. One of the other home games would have become a road game.

Yes, the other home games would have been different, but then some of the games in 2021, 2022, and 2023 would have had to change also since they do not like to have a conference team being at home two seasons in a row. But I was thinking more of how it sure would have been great to have 8 home games to make up more of the revenue lost in 2020.

Griz til I die said:
get'em_griz said:

To be fair to the big sky, they did take feedback from the schools this year on how they’d like to structure the schedule so it’s hard to put the blame on them for this one.
I've confirmed that indeed the BSC changed our "rivals" over the winter to PSU and MSU. I doubt this was what UM recommended. Never mind that PSU has never been a rival (13-31 vs. UM) and that we've played Idaho 84 times for the Little Brown Stein. Or that Portland is 1000 miles from most of Montana with PSU playing at a high school in Hillsboro. If they can do no better than this, the whole rivalry idea should be dropped. No wonder it has not been announced. If Montana has no more influence on the BSC than this, we do indeed need to be looking for a new home.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
I've confirmed that indeed the BSC changed our "rivals" over the winter to PSU and MSU. I doubt this was what UM recommended. Never mind that PSU has never been a rival (13-31 vs. UM) and that we've played Idaho 84 times for the Little Brown Stein. Or that Portland is 1000 miles from most of Montana with PSU playing at a high school in Hillsboro. If they can do no better than this, the whole rivalry idea should be dropped. No wonder it has not been announced. If Montana has no more influence on the BSC than this, we do indeed need to be looking for a new home.

Many people forget that PSU was our real rival back in the Oldest Dornblaser days. The winner got the loser’s horses. Internal combustion almost killed the rivalry, so I’m glad to see it rejuvenated.

MSU competed at the NAIA and Division 2 levels for a number of years, however, for a number of years, they have been Division 1. They are a rival to UM because they are located in Montana making the rivalry fun for everyone in Montana. Portland State isn’t a rival school of UM. Idaho, a strong rival over the years.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:
I've confirmed that indeed the BSC changed our "rivals" over the winter to PSU and MSU. I doubt this was what UM recommended. Never mind that PSU has never been a rival (13-32 vs. UM), that we've played Idaho 86 times for the Little Brown Stein and EWU 46 times for the Governor's Trophy. Or that Portland is 1000 miles from most of Montana with PSU playing at a high school in Hillsboro. Or that both EWU and Idaho are geographically between Missoula and Portland. If they can do no better than this, the whole rivalry idea should be dropped. No wonder the rivalries have not been announced. If Montana has no more influence on the BSC than this, we do indeed need to be looking for a new home.
From the BSC website; a document of real BS:

SPOKANE, Washington (July 24, 2021) – When the Big Sky Conference becomes a 12-team football league next season, what will that look like? Well, after a process that began over six months ago, that future has been carefully crafted with today’s announcement of the 2022-24 conference football schedules.

The future 2022-24 schedules will still feature eight league games that include two annual opponents, some of whom have changed since the last time, and six rotating opponents. This format was selected in part based on feedback from the league membership about wanting to make sure teams did not go a long time during the three-year slate without playing a fellow conference opponent.

“The Big Sky’s new football scheduling model preserves so many of our most historic annual rivalries while ensuring a balanced rotation of playing each conference opponent,” Commissioner Tom Wistrcill said. “For this three-year scheduling block that begins in 2022, our 12 football programs and their supporters will enjoy knowing that each school will play every other Big Sky school at least twice – once at home and once on the road – so each player will have the opportunity to compete in every stadium and each local fanbase will have the chance to see every conference team come to their town.”

League schools also had increased input into the scheduling process, with each institution allowed to request their preferred annual opponents (every school was granted at least one of their requests) and one week per season during which they would like to be home or not at home (either away or open). The nine non-California-based teams will play one game each season at either Cal Poly, Sacramento State, or UC Davis, and will host one of those three every year as well.

Back