• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Young QB's in FCS, and potential Fall Fatigue

GlacierGrizX

Some friends and I were watching most of the FCS games last weekend. We seemed to notice that alot of the current playoffs schools have alot of FR and SOPH QB. Do you think some of the coaches are going with younger guys because they had an extra of year of maturity and playbooks, and the coaches are going with the young talent to have a potential of greater building block/consistency to go off into the future? This would be similiar to our Humphreys / Brown situation. For example, NDSU went with their true freshman vs the Iowa St transfer.

Also we were talking about how some of these schools will have about 2.5 months off to heal heal up vs 7.5 as normal. Some of the these teams will have played nearly a full season with 6-game regular season and playoffs considered. In our understanding, most teams playing a normal schedule will start seeing fatigue in about weeks 5-8 of a season. Do people feel some of these teams might start seeing injuries earlier in the season, or do they lose energy as the season progresses and start falling off the map at the end of the season?

i most definitely think that’s possible. i even mentioned it to my buddy while watching the JMU game last weekend...lots of nagging injuries that won’t have the normal time to heal, which HAS to impact next season....don’t see how it can’t.

All of which bodes very well for the Griz.

Hard to tell. Probably increases the risk. These are also young athletes that can recover. Also an argument that the less rust these teams have may prevent some injuries. The fact of the matter is injuries can happen at anytime in this game whether you have had more time off or not.

I also forgot to mention in our discussion on the probability of these teams having sharpened their skills and have practiced cohesively for an entire season. This should allow them to better know their personnel 'strengths' and 'weakness,' allowing for transfers to complete their teams? Also it allows them to expand their playbooks as they had a full season to master current playbook and now can add wrinkles and/or add more schemes? Could this 'extra' as beneficial to some of these programs. I would compare it to the Griz and NDSU when they have long play-off runs and exposes younger players to more practice and playing time, making them better?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the NDSU QB not joining until summer so wouldn't be eligible for spring ball.

Back