• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU and downtown Spokane stadium?

Brother Bear

Eastern Washington AD Hickey in a letter to the Spokane Public School Board voiced support for a downtown stadium, explaining that the utilization of a public sports venue would be a “tremendous asset not only to the city and professional sports, but also for both secondary and collegiate sports programs.” Hickey adds: “Having a downtown sports venue will allow for a unique experience for students and opens up collaboration with the sponsorship of special events for athletics and general entertainment. … We would also like to offer the opportunity to visit with the Big Sky Conference about bringing significant conference championship events to utilize the stadium.”

https://www.kxly.com/ewu-athletic-director-writes-letter-in-support-of-downtown-stadium/

Ursa Major said:
What would be the negatives of going back to Joe Albi? Has it been updated at all?

https://www.krem.com/article/sports/new-joe-albi-stadium-designs-released-spokane/293-d0fedc00-453e-4b0a-bd0c-8985822ccfd7

The current Albi is going to be demolished. They are going to build a new middle school at the location and then a smaller stadium. The location of that smaller stadium is still undecided, but it will either be built on a smaller portion near the current location or downtown.

HelenaHandBasket said:
The current Albi is going to be demolished. They are going to build a new middle school at the location and then a smaller stadium. The location of that smaller stadium is still undecided, but it will either be built on a smaller portion near the current location or downtown.

Sounds like the train on Albi left the station before EWU was ready to board. The article says Hickey is from San Antonio and she raved about what a downtown stadium did for San Antonio. Well, Spokane is not San Antonio, not even close. I recall a ballot issue when I lived there that would have raised gas taxes about two cents a gallon to fix Spokane’s crappy roads. It was voted down. Not a good sign for a new stadium.

First, they would need to find space downtown. Kind of hard to imagine where it would be. Second, they need to pay for it. I don’t think an assessment in a ballot issue will get any traction. I suppose the local government could issue bonds, but the Spokane Arena was a big project and I wonder if it has been paid off. Then there’s other needs for financing (i.e., Spokane Transit Authority) and one has to wonder what bonding capacity exists. Remember, Washington does not have an income tax. Finally, EWU is not Gonzaga, WSU, or even the Spokane Chiefs. Nobody gives a shit.

EWU is Division II bound, or NAIA. Game, set, match.

With Albi out of the equation, the high schools will need to find a venue for GSL football. But it’s hard to see how filling that need would align with a downtown stadium attractive for EWU.

goatcreekgriz said:
With Albi out of the equation, the high schools will need to find a venue for GSL football. But it’s hard to see how filling that need would align with a downtown stadium attractive for EWU.

They didn't play at Albi this spring. With Gonzaga Prep, the new stadium for the Mead district, and the stadium for the CV schools, the GSL was easily able to accommodate the 5 Spokane schools. Also, the new stadium downtown will have more seating than what EWU does currently.

...actually if they could get it to work in my opinion would be great for them and the Big Sky Conf...
I would love to travel there for a night game and see the Griz lay the wood ..

..find a good place to eat and stay the night...be fun!

goatcreekgriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Sounds like the train on Albi left the station before EWU was ready to board. The article says Hickey is from San Antonio and she raved about what a downtown stadium did for San Antonio. Well, Spokane is not San Antonio, not even close. I recall a ballot issue when I lived there that would have raised gas taxes about two cents a gallon to fix Spokane’s crappy roads. It was voted down. Not a good sign for a new stadium.

First, they would need to find space downtown. Kind of hard to imagine where it would be. Second, they need to pay for it. I don’t think an assessment in a ballot issue will get any traction. I suppose the local government could issue bonds, but the Spokane Arena was a big project and I wonder if it has been paid off. Then there’s other needs for financing (i.e., Spokane Transit Authority) and one has to wonder what bonding capacity exists. Remember, Washington does not have an income tax. Finally, EWU is not Gonzaga, WSU, or even the Spokane Chiefs. Nobody gives a shit.

Lol. I LIVE in San Antonio and what’s this ‘great thing the downtown stadium did”? Hell it sits empty 325 days a year...sure they get a bowl game, a couple of HS all-star games, and some home improvement shows, but other than UTSA playing half a dozen games there and some HS football playoff games, there really isn’t much it’s used for. There are exactly TWELVE events scheduled in the Alamodome between now and the end of the year. TWELVE. And you’re right, Spokane ain’t San Antonio. Nowhere close.

AZGrizFan said:
goatcreekgriz said:

Lol. I LIVE in San Antonio and what’s this ‘great thing the downtown stadium did”? Hell it sits empty 325 days a year...sure they get a bowl game, a couple of HS all-star games, and some home improvement shows, but other than UTSA playing half a dozen games there and some HS football playoff games, there really isn’t much it’s used for. There are exactly TWELVE events scheduled in the Alamodome between now and the end of the year. TWELVE. And you’re right, Spokane ain’t San Antonio. Nowhere close.

Maybe you have more insight, AZ, but I seem to recall that SA built the Alamo Dome in an effort to attract an NFL team or expansion team? Am I making that up? In the end, the Spurs played in half of it with a gigantic blue curtain. Interesting to learn what it’s used for now. Thx for the info.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

Maybe you have more insight, AZ, but I seem to recall that SA built the Alamo Dome in an effort to attract an NFL team or expansion team? Am I making that up? In the end, the Spurs played in half of it with a gigantic blue curtain. Interesting to learn what it’s used for now. Thx for the info.

Yes, it was built in ‘93 in an effort to attract an NFL team. They’ve had every OTHER football league there, but as we know, those never last. The last one (XFL?) the SA team drew over 30,000 a game, then the season was shut down right before the playoffs. They were toyed with by the Raiders, who ultimately chose Vegas (but that deal would have required a completely new state of the art stadium located midway between SA and Austin). The spurs played in it for 10 years, but now they have their own arena out on the east side of downtown.

CDAGRIZ said:
AZGrizFan said:

It does seem underutilized, but it is a very nice stadium...Alamo Bowl is usually a fun game...and it is walking distance to the River Walk. Have been to half a dozen UTSA games...not a bad game day.

Back