• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Position Topic: CB's

Paytonlives

Staff member
Ill try to send one of these each day... This group looks like the best UM has had in a very long time.

7 Omar Hicks Onu R-Sr. CB 6-1 194 Lewisville, Texas / Hebron HS
21 Justin Ford R-Jr. CB 6-2 186 Concord, N.C. / Cox Mill HS
3 TraJon Cotton R-So. CB 6-1 196 Sacramento, Calif. / Inderkum HS
8 Corbin Walker So. CB 5-11 177 Renton, Wash. / Hazen Senior HS
23 Autjoe Soe Fr. CB 6-1 173 Murray, Utah / Murray HS
27 Trevin Gradney R-Fr. CB 6-0 180 Billings, Mont. / Billings West HS

Only one senior. Future looks good. Especially high on Justin Ford as a transfer. As expected, only one Montana boy at this position. Montana just does not seem to produce many blue chip CB position players with speed, ball hawking coverage skills and hard hitting traits.

Agreed. This is going to be a special group and will lead to more coverage sacks/throw aways than we’ve seen in years past. The best pass rush is a good secondary. And Justin Ford flat out plays with another level of intensity. I’m sure it’s already been posted, but he strikes me as a guys to make similar impact plays such as Keith Thompson:

[media]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgu7GtFhGY[/media]

I agree that this group is strong. I know that Omar and Trajon are very fast, and assume Ford is too. The first 2 are a bit more solid than Ford. Omar was one of the fastest players at Oregon St, which I am told was a very fast team. 5h fastest. Was .01 off from being tied for 3d fastest (2 receivers were the fastest). Trajon graduated last weekend. Walker played well last year. I talked to these 4 guys at practice this spring. Seemed like very nice guys. Having the new corner coach should be very helpful too. I doubt that UM has ever had a faster group of corners.

PlayerRep said:
I agree that this group is strong. I know that Omar and Trajon are very fast, and assume Ford is too. The first 2 are a bit more solid than Ford. Omar was one of the fastest players at Oregon St, which I am told was a very fast team. 5h fastest. Was .01 off from being tied for 3d fastest (2 receivers were the fastest). Trajon graduated last weekend. Walker played well last year. I talked to these 4 guys at practice this spring. Seemed like very nice guys. Having the new corner coach should be very helpful too. I doubt that UM has ever had a faster group of corners.

Had a short IG convo with Trajon after he posted some practice video of him shutting down Griz receivers....he looked VERY good. Very polite young man as well. A lot of “yes sir, no sir” to me in the conversation :lol:

As good as this group looks I would have to say that having just 6 corners on the roster is worrisome especially when we don't have anymore coming in the fall. I would assume that we will bring in a transfer or two. Probably younger kids. I doubt we bring in anybody else that would immediatly compete for a starting job the way Justin Ford, Trajon Cotton, and Omar Hicks Onu have.

I hope Dylan Simmons isn't a no go just yet.

GrizJohnson said:
As good as this group looks I would have to say that having just 6 corners on the roster is worrisome especially when we don't have anymore coming in the fall. I would assume that we will bring in a transfer or two. Probably younger kids. I doubt we bring in anybody else that would immediatly compete for a starting job the way Justin Ford, Trajon Cotton, and Omar Hicks Onu have.

I think having 6 corners, especially this group, is awesome. Could be the strongest group of corners ever at UM,.

PlayerRep said:
GrizJohnson said:

I think having 6 corners, especially this group, is awesome. Could be the strongest group of corners ever at UM,.

Just saying that six is the absolute minimum that a team can have to run practices (1st and 2nd team D and then the scout team). So if one of them gets a little banged up you automatically pluck some other young guy from his natural position just to play scout team, which might end up affecting his growth. I'm not trying to focus on the bad, I am just pointing out that having 6 corners probably isn't enough and I would be expecting some more transfers and/or late signees in that position.

I do think that this group will be fun to watch and I wouldn't change it, just think we should add more young depth to it.

GrizJohnson said:
PlayerRep said:

Just saying that six is the absolute minimum that a team can have to run practices (1st and 2nd team D and then the scout team). So if one of them gets a little banged up you automatically pluck some other young guy from his natural position just to play scout team, which might end up affecting his growth. I'm not trying to focus on the bad, I am just pointing out that having 6 corners probably isn't enough and I would be expecting some more transfers and/or late signees in that position.

I do think that this group will be fun to watch and I wouldn't change it, just think we should add more young depth to it.

I think you're missing the needs for this team and how many scholarships are actually available. This CB group might have the most collective talent, depth, and speed we've ever had at Montana...2-3 deep averaging 6'1", 190. I think it's the last place we'll add players this year.

Possible needs:
DT - will need to address with Deming brothers leaving.
RB - Xavier Harris might be our Reggie Bush, both he and Ostmo are excellent receivers out of the backfield, but we need the Akron RB to show up. Wonder if Knight will play next year...maybe mid-season and on?

TE - Wonder if coaches will go with who we have on the roster. Deming boys are a loss. Grossman looks like an athletic freak. Will he be able to become prominent in the offense by fall? Didn't see much of Elwell?

Alaska Griz said:
GrizJohnson said:

I think you're missing the needs for this team and how many scholarships are actually available. This CB group might have the most collective talent, depth, and speed we've ever had at Montana...2-3 deep averaging 6'1", 190. I think it's the last place we'll add players this year.

Possible needs:
RB - Xavier Harris might be our Reggie Bush, both he and Ostmo are excellent receivers out of the backfield, but we need the Akron RB to show up. Wonder if Knight will play next year...maybe mid-season and on?

TE - Wonder if coaches will go with who we have on the roster. Deming boys are a loss. Grossman looks like an athletic freak. Will he be able to become prominent in the offense by fall? Didn't see much of Elwell?

I agree, Alaska. I remember in the not too distant past (Stitt, anyone), where BOTH starting corners were converted WR’s....and there wasn’t a ACTUAL CB anywhere to be found. having SIX that could potentially step in and start, and with the size of these fellas....it’s an embarrassment of riches, relatively speaking.

RainierGriz said:
Agreed. This is going to be a special group and will lead to more coverage sacks/throw aways than we’ve seen in years past. The best pass rush is a good secondary. And Justin Ford flat out plays with another level of intensity. I’m sure it’s already been posted, but he strikes me as a guys to make similar impact plays such as Keith Thompson:

[media]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rBgu7GtFhGY[/media]

If he hits like Keith Thompson = LOOK OUT! :clap:

GrizJohnson said:
PlayerRep said:

Got it. I was focusing on the quality and depth at the top, and didn't even think of the scout team. Now I get what you're saying.

Alaska Griz said:
GrizJohnson said:

Possible needs:

I agree with you what the needs of this team are when it comes to how many scholarships we have. In no way am I saying that Corner's is a weak point that needs help. I am saying that usually a team has 8-10 players at the corner position so i would assume we bring on some walk on transfers or late signees. Only walk-ons though. We lost 2 walk on corners in Ressler and Allen along with Rishi Daniels who was taking corner reps when a few kids were banged up.

I also wonder if bobby will have Junior Bergen play CB.

GrizJohnson said:
I am saying that usually a team has 8-10 players at the corner position
At the FCS level, I would need to see some data to believe this.

kemajic said:
GrizJohnson said:
I am saying that usually a team has 8-10 players at the corner position
At the FCS level, I would need to see some data to believe this.

I was just going off numbers from our own previous rosters. 2019 there are 10 on the roster, 2018 there was 8, 2017 there were only 7, but in 2016 it was 8 again. Feel free to go look on other teams rosters but again i was just going off numbers from our past rosters.

Back