• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Robertson leaving Montana State

Colter_Nuanez56

Breaking news out of #MSUBobcatsFB today: Veteran assistant Robertson leaving Montana State football
https://skylinesportsmt.com/bjrobertsonleavingmsu/

MSU is expected to confirm Robertson's departure later this afternoon.

https://twitter.com/SkylineSportsMT/status/1389698819114160129

Jesus I didn't see the state part of this at first and I was freaking out that Gavin Robertson entered the portal. Way to get me worked up over my poor reading comprehension Colter :lol:

Griz til I die said:
Jesus I didn't see the state part of this at first and I was freaking out that Gavin Robertson entered the portal. Way to get me worked up over my poor reading comprehension Colter :lol:

Ha same here! Heart dropped on me.

BJ was a great recruiter for the cats. But departures like these are always gonna happen with coaching changes. Was honestly surprised they didn’t have more leave sooner than this.

I wonder if his departure came on the heels of Coach Sixx introducing his new 4-4-4 defense scheme?

#overhishead

Choate carved out a new yet immediately integral role for Robertson as the director of high school operations. Over the last five seasons, Robertson has served as MSU’s special teams coordinator while also sometimes coaching tight ends. But his role as the director of high school operations, with a strong and crucial focus on in-state recruiting is the role that will prove tough to replace for new head coach Brent Vigen.
“Integral”
“Crucial”
“Hard to replace”
All in the same paragraph.
Their in-state recruiting will take a major dive, but I’m sure Coach 6 will find some out-of-stater, probably a Chubb washout, to fill that role.

Robertson leaves after four seasons and five years at Montana State just a few months after Choate bolted for the co-defensive coordinator position at Texas on Steve Sarkisian’s staff.
:lol: The Choate-bolt

Holy crap. How bad must it be when a coach would rather go back to high school than continue as a coordinator for the bubbsies?

Just getting worse for the Cats. It will be interesting to see if they have player departures in the near future. Seems like the ball of yarn or Choade is unraveling.

That’s a pretty big loss for them. He was the difference in some recent instate recruiting battles. Cats will still get the kids that want to go there but it’s more of the situations where it’s been an actual recruiting battle where it could matter. Wish him luck. Seemed like a solid dude and always gave Montana kids a chance for them.

dayday said:
That’s a pretty big loss for them. He was the difference in some recent instate recruiting battles. Cats will still get the kids that want to go there but it’s more of the situations where it’s been an actual recruiting battle where it could matter. Wish him luck. Seemed like a solid dude and always gave Montana kids a chance for them.

You gave a very accurate portrayal of the situation. This definitely hurts their program. Cat faithful know how big this is and their program will be in trouble if Vegan can’t win. I actually feel kind of bad for him. He could end up being the Bobcat Stitt.

Robertson’s recruiting methods clearly were not up to the Trick-Ass standards that Sixx demands.

This is a a gigantic loss for them. The cat’s success at in state recruiting started and ended with him. Legacies typically go to where they are going to go. He won way more than he lost of the toss ups. He was universally respected by high school coaches in Montana. Good guy and wherever he goes will be better immediately.

grizatwork said:
This is a a gigantic loss for them. The cat’s success at in state recruiting started and ended with him. Legacies typically go to where they are going to go. He won way more than he lost of the toss ups. He was universally respected by high school coaches in Montana. Good guy and wherever he goes will be better immediately.
My guess is the new HC is putting a lower priority on MT recruiting; he’s out of the NDSU family so is likely to work the upper Midwest more. More players there. Pretty normal fallout of a HC change, but cannot help MT recruiting.

kemajic said:
grizatwork said:
My guess is the new HC is putting a lower priority on MT recruiting; he’s out of the NDSU family so is likely to work the upper Midwest more. More players there. Pretty normal fallout of a HC change, but cannot help MT recruiting.

I would disagree here... Vigen knows how important Montana kids are, and that "Winning" (nobody knows who actually wins in recruiting, and lots of times kids that walked on become the ones that kill it) the in-state recruiting battle is key to fan health, and State promotion. Is losing Robertson big? YES, he was a great guy, and everyone loved him. But I don't see the Cats going back to the Solomonson (I believe it was him, but may have been even before him) days where Montana kids are ignored. Hell, even Ash had an issue with that, assuming the kids would just come here, and not offer them anything (Coyle for example)... It is a big loss, but I am happy for Robertson and his future. He is a good friend and man.

SACCAT66 said:
kemajic said:

I would disagree here... Vigen knows how important Montana kids are, and that "Winning" (nobody knows who actually wins in recruiting, and lots of times kids that walked on become the ones that kill it) the in-state recruiting battle is key to fan health, and State promotion. Is losing Robertson big? YES, he was a great guy, and everyone loved him. But I don't see the Cats going back to the Solomonson (I believe it was him, but may have been even before him) days where Montana kids are ignored. Hell, even Ash had an issue with that, assuming the kids would just come here, and not offer them anything (Coyle for example)... It is a big loss, but I am happy for Robertson and his future. He is a good friend and man.

I could not disagree more with your assumptions. I consider BJ a friend as well. When Vigen was hired one of the very first things he did was strip BJ of his recruiting coordinator title and reduced him to the special teams coach only. Vigen then brought in a recruiting coordinator that literally has no background in recruiting Montana’s born and bred. What a demoralizing thing for BJ and the recruiting program that he worked tirelessly to build. Every coach in Montana knew BJ and he basically had an open door policy with all of them. If you think Vigen is going to work hard at both retaining and recruiting our Montana boys...I am sorry as this is just not going to happen.

With the above said, I have been concerned about the Griz losing out to some key Billings players. Luckily this year had Junior Bergen switch from the cats to the Griz once Vigen was hired. Capser was legacy and were all over him early. BJ was key to the cats successful recruiting in Billings. Would be nice if the Griz coaching staff pounce on this opportunity...which I am sure they are already doing.

Griz RTD said:
Would be nice if the Griz coaching staff pounce on this opportunity...which I am sure they are already doing.

ahem, griz don't "pounce", they just tear into things and don't play around with their targets. cats are the ones who pounce. important distinction.

ok, maybe not. otherwise, thanks for your post. interesting info and ideas.

Back