• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bison Shit The Bed!

timjayko said:
:thumb: :clap: :lol:
Not sure that's the way I would describe the game. They showed little offense, scoring only one field goal. Two TDs and a safety were from special teams. They just got beat by a better team. Finally.

Unfortunately the bison loss is more indicative of how far they have fallen than the rest of the FCS elevating their play. I really wanted UM to get back to where we used to be, then beat NDSU at their best. Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to win a natty regardless of the situation, but I had hoped to beat NDSU at their best, and that may not happen if they continue on this trajectory. They just didn’t look like the same team as the other NDSU teams we’ve seen in the last decade.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Unfortunately the bison loss is more indicative of how far they have fallen than the rest of the FCS elevating their play. I really wanted UM to get back to where we used to be, then beat NDSU at their best. Don’t get me wrong, it would be great to win a natty regardless of the situation, but I had hoped to beat NDSU at their best, and that may not happen if they continue on this trajectory. They just didn’t look like the same team as the other NDSU teams we’ve seen in the last decade.

Hard to have the talent that the Bison had leave and be the same team.

Unfortunately with the new transfer rule in place, I think the best days of NDSU, and any FCS team for that matter, are over.

2011BisonAlumni said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Unfortunately with the new transfer rule in place, I think the best days of NDSU, and any FCS team for that matter, are over.
“Unfortunately”?
What is so unfortunate?

Dillon said:
So is the Dynasty over or just paused a bit?
I would say paused. Biggest hit was losing their QB to the NFL. They will get a drop down I would guess and be much better in the fall.

2011BisonAlumni said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Agreed, this new world of transfer free agency will have telling negative impacts on virtually all programs especially fcs and non power fbs schools. May transfer most programs to a minor league status to vett and develop players for the top level NCAA.

Yukon said:
Dillon said:
So is the Dynasty over or just paused a bit?
I would say paused. Biggest hit was losing their QB to the NFL. They will get a drop down I would guess and be much better in the fall.

They already got one. He was no eligible for spring. Former 4 star dual threat.

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

“Unfortunately”?
What is so unfortunate?

Do you prefer seeing talented players come to the Griz, stay for 4 years of eligibility, and make the program (and quality of experience watching the game) better, or do you prefer seeing your best players leave for the FBS after showcasing their ability?

Like it or not, NDSU’s success over the last decade was what the FCS needed. The level of exposure, wins over FBS programs and profile of draft picks provided evidence to high school players that the FCS route was a viable option in terms of having the ability to grow as a player and get noticed at the next level.

Those days are over with the transfer rule. Granted it will impact all programs and also the G5, but the FCS is going to be the most impacted. Without a doubt.

A Dillon Radunz type player will never play 4 years for the Bison, Griz or any other FCS program again.

2011BisonAlumni said:
garizzalies said:
“Unfortunately”?
What is so unfortunate?

Do you prefer seeing talented players come to the Griz, stay for 4 years of eligibility, and make the program (and quality of experience watching the game) better, or do you prefer seeing your best players leave for the FBS after showcasing their ability?
I prefer a world where a person’s right to choose how to live their life is governed by their own free will, and not governed by the fanatical wishes of some guy living in his mom’s basement

2011BisonAlumni said:
garizzalies said:
“Unfortunately”?
What is so unfortunate?

Like it or not, NDSU’s success over the last decade was what the FCS needed. The level of exposure, wins over FBS programs and profile of draft picks provided evidence to high school players that the FCS route was a viable option in terms of having the ability to grow as a player and get noticed at the next level.

Those days are over with the transfer rule. Granted it will impact all programs and also the G5, but the FCS is going to be the most impacted. Without a doubt.

A Dillon Radunz type player will never play 4 years for the Bison, Griz or any other FCS program again.
IDK if that's necessarily true. I tend to see it in a little bit different light than everybody else. For starters, the reason NDSU was hit so hard is when you've got a team with so many guys on it that have won several titles and then you have to choose between the NFL draft or Spring ball, we saw what happened with so many of the best players opting out, and many more that just didn't want to play spring ball.

Moving past COVID, I think the programs that will be hit the hardest by the new rules will be the UNI's the ISU's the EWU's where you're on the brink of being a title contender, but you're just not quite there. I think that will have the potential to frustrate a lot of kids and those will be the programs that suffer. The more name brand schools like NDSU, JMU, UM, MSU will be ok in my mind. Kids on these teams know that they can get to the NFL at their respective schools, and for the most part they are incredibly loyal to their teammates, teams, and schools.

Plus let's not forget that transfers are a two way street. For every kid that moves up, there will be a kid looking to move down. I don't see the portal having quite the impact on college football that it has had on college basketball, and that's an entirely different conversation for another day.

2011BisonAlumni said:
"Never say never." ;)

But among all the unpredictable consequences of the new "one free transfer" rule, I think this will be the most likely. For many individual reasons, it won't be 100%, but I'd say it's highly likely. We already know that programs have ways to "tamper" without directly breaking the tampering rules. (Going thru the player's high school coach seems to be a preferred method.) Every player on the Payton or Buchanan watch lists will start hearing (somehow) from FBS programs that have a need ... especially if the guy has a couple years of eligibility left.

garizzalies said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

“Unfortunately”?
What is so unfortunate?
I want them to be at their best when UM beats them, not on their way down. Maybe they come out and look like the NDSU we know come fall, and the Griz get that opportunity. That’s what I hope for. Not a watered down version. I want the Griz to elevate their play, and get back to the level that we one were at, and that NDSU Has been at since they joined FCS

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
garizzalies said:
“Unfortunately”?
What is so unfortunate?
I want them to be at their best when UM beats them, not on their way down. Maybe they come out and look like the NDSU we know come fall, and the Griz get that opportunity. That’s what I hope for. Not a watered down version. I want the Griz to elevate their play, and get back to the level that we one were at, and that NDSU Has been at since they joined FCS
The only way we will see them would be in the playoffs, which suggests they would not have completely fallen off the cliff. A good part of the problem yesterday was due to a frosh QB, who will no longer be a frosh. They will never be easy.

Griz til I die said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

IDK if that's necessarily true. I tend to see it in a little bit different light than everybody else. For starters, the reason NDSU was hit so hard is when you've got a team with so many guys on it that have won several titles and then you have to choose between the NFL draft or Spring ball, we saw what happened with so many of the best players opting out, and many more that just didn't want to play spring ball.

Moving past COVID, I think the programs that will be hit the hardest by the new rules will be the UNI's the ISU's the EWU's where you're on the brink of being a title contender, but you're just not quite there. I think that will have the potential to frustrate a lot of kids and those will be the programs that suffer. The more name brand schools like NDSU, JMU, UM, MSU will be ok in my mind. Kids on these teams know that they can get to the NFL at their respective schools, and for the most part they are incredibly loyal to their teammates, teams, and schools.

Plus let's not forget that transfers are a two way street. For every kid that moves up, there will be a kid looking to move down. I don't see the portal having quite the impact on college football that it has had on college basketball, and that's an entirely different conversation for another day.

You do understand players could always “transfer down” to the FCS prior to the new transfer rule and have eligibility, right?

So again, how is the transfer rule going to help FCS programs ?

2011BisonAlumni said:
Griz til I die said:

You do understand players could always “transfer down” to the FCS prior to the new transfer rule and have eligibility, right?

So again, how is the transfer rule going to help FCS programs ?
Perhaps I wasn’t very clear. I think it’s got potential to hurt everyone at every level. What I’m trying to say though is I don’t believe the new rule will hurt the elite FCS programs anywhere near as bad as the middle of the road FCS teams for the reasons I stated above.

Griz til I die said:
Perhaps I wasn’t very clear. I think it’s got potential to hurt everyone at every level. What I’m trying to say though is I don’t believe the new rule will hurt the elite FCS programs anywhere near as bad as the middle of the road FCS teams for the reasons I stated above.

Why? In general it's the elite FCS programs that have players capable of FBS competition (e.g., Taure) and have more to lose than the middle of the road FCS teams.

kemajic said:
Griz til I die said:

Why? In general it's the elite FCS programs that have players capable of FBS competition (e.g., Taure) and have more to lose than the middle of the road FCS teams.

True, however FBS teams are still going to have roster and scholarship limits. So for every player who transfers into a program, another player will be displaced and need somewhere to go - which could be a school at any level. Yes it's going to be a transfer carousel, with the big boy schools benefiting the most, but that doesn't necessarily mean that FCS schools are going to get the worst of it.

Da Boyz Mom said:
kemajic said:

True, however FBS teams are still going to have roster and scholarship limits. So for every player who transfers into a program, another player will be displaced and need somewhere to go - which could be a school at any level. Yes it's going to be a transfer carousel, with the big boy schools benefiting the most, but that doesn't necessarily mean that FCS schools are going to get the worst of it.

To be completely blunt, you are trying to defend something that is not really defendable based on pure common sense.

The impacts are going to be detrimental for the elite FCS teams where a few marquee players can sometimes make or break a team and losing them can bring a team down to earth.

Do you really think a Cooper Kupp stays all four years at EWU going forward? No fucking way.

Does Sam Houston beat NDSU if NDSU still has Josh Hayes and Adam Cofield? No clue, but I guarantee you Josh Hays and Adam Cofield do not transfer to lower/middle tier FBS programs had the transfer rule not been in place....and I guarantee you having those two players would have made the Bison a better football team during these playoffs.

Back