• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Athletes didn't develop serious heart issues from covid

PlayerRep

"A New Study of Athletes’ Hearts After Covid Shows Encouraging Results

Sports leagues initially feared that testing positive for Covid-19 would lead to heart damage. The first comprehensive study—on hundreds of pro athletes—suggests that is rare."

"The scary question that leagues like the NBA, NFL and MLB faced as they returned to play over the past year was how prevalent heart damage would be among players who tested positive for Covid-19. They now have an encouraging answer: It’s rare.

A new study on the topic in JAMA Cardiology is based on the screening of 789 professional athletes who tested positive for Covid-19 between May and October in Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the National Hockey League, National Football League, and the men’s and women’s National Basketball Association.

The paper shows that 0.6% of those athletes ultimately had findings suggestive of inflammatory heart disease. Five athletes were held out of competition because of their cardiac results. Three had myocarditis, which is heart inflammation, and two had pericarditis, which is swelling of the tissue that surrounds the heart. All had had moderate cases of Covid."

The prevalence answer comes after cardiologists have reassured the rest of the population that, in general, they do not need to fear hidden inflammation when returning to exercise after asymptomatic, mild or even moderate cases of the virus.

This is because recreational athletes typically don’t exert themselves under the same pressure as professionals, and more reliably respond to warning signs such as difficulty breathing, dizziness or feeling faint, said Christopher Newton-Cheh, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital.

“Professional athletes are more vulnerable because they have a lot of incentives to really push themselves,” said Dr. Newton-Cheh. “I think they require a bit more guidance and caution…they’re more likely to be redlining it than a recreational athlete.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-heart-complications-myocarditis-exercise-study-sports-11614871544?mod=hp_major_pos1#cxrecs_s

PlayerRep said:

Sports leagues initially feared that testing positive for Covid-19 would lead to heart damage. The first comprehensive study—on hundreds of pro athletes—suggests that is rare."

"The scary question that leagues like the NBA, NFL and MLB faced as they returned to play over the past year was how prevalent heart damage would be among players who tested positive for Covid-19. They now have an encouraging answer: It’s rare.

A new study on the topic in JAMA Cardiology is based on the screening of 789 professional athletes who tested positive for Covid-19 between May and October in Major League Baseball, Major League Soccer, the National Hockey League, National Football League, and the men’s and women’s National Basketball Association.

The paper shows that 0.6% of those athletes ultimately had findings suggestive of inflammatory heart disease. Five athletes were held out of competition because of their cardiac results. Three had myocarditis, which is heart inflammation, and two had pericarditis, which is swelling of the tissue that surrounds the heart. All had had moderate cases of Covid."

The prevalence answer comes after cardiologists have reassured the rest of the population that, in general, they do not need to fear hidden inflammation when returning to exercise after asymptomatic, mild or even moderate cases of the virus.

This is because recreational athletes typically don’t exert themselves under the same pressure as professionals, and more reliably respond to warning signs such as difficulty breathing, dizziness or feeling faint, said Christopher Newton-Cheh, a cardiologist at Massachusetts General Hospital.

“Professional athletes are more vulnerable because they have a lot of incentives to really push themselves,” said Dr. Newton-Cheh. “I think they require a bit more guidance and caution…they’re more likely to be redlining it than a recreational athlete.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/covid-heart-complications-myocarditis-exercise-study-sports-11614871544?mod=hp_major_pos1#cxrecs_s
Red Sox pitcher Edwardo Rodriguez is recovering from a serious bout of myocarditis; pitchers are not known to redline.

SACCAT66 said:
Your headline should read "Heart issues RARE in Professional athletes."

Nope, that wasn't the subject of my post. I wasn't talking about heart disease in athletes. I was talking about SERIOUS heart problems from covid. Only a few players had any heart issues at all. 5 according to the article/post I made. None of them ended up with any serious heart or health issue, after taking some time off and perhaps missing a season.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Red Sox pitcher Edwardo Rodriguez is recovering from a serious bout of myocarditis; pitchers are not known to redline.

Yes, he was one of the 5 noted in the study/article/my post. 3 had myocarditis. 2 had pericarditis. Rodriguez was advised to rest for 3 months, which he did, and is now fine. Lots of people develop some amount of myocarditis. From virus, bacteria, medications, general inflammation, lyme, etc. Most people just take it easy for a while, sometimes just a few weeks, and i'ts gone. It can be serious or very serious, but usually isn't, is my understanding.

your title is misleading, greenie. it was professional athletes from mainstream sports who were studied. these people are the most elite athletes in their sports, and typically get the best care possible, from the best doctors. i wouldn't be so quick to generalize.

regarding pericarditis, read this, then tell me that it isn't "serious": https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17353-pericarditis

argh! said:
your title is misleading, greenie. it was professional athletes from mainstream sports who were studied. these people are the most elite athletes in their sports, and typically get the best care possible, from the best doctors. i wouldn't be so quick to generalize.

No, my title was perfect. Just what I wanted to say. And it is accurate.

argh! said:
regarding pericarditis, read this, then tell me that it isn't "serious": https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/17353-pericarditis

First, I was talking about athletes who got covid.

Second, from linked article, "the condition usually clears up after 3 months." That's not serious.

No deaths from covid in college athletics as of this Dec. 11 NY Times article. which I posted several weeks ago.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/sports/coronavirus-college-sports-football.html

"I’m unaware of any college football players who have died from Covid-19. Something tells me that if such a tragedy had happened, we would be hearing about it—constantly."

Dec. 17, 2020 article. https://www.aier.org/article/cheers-for-college-footballs-victory-over-covid-19-fear/

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

Second, from linked article, "the condition usually clears up after 3 months." That's not serious.

three months is not serious? you are getttinnging oldd.dddd.d.d.d.d.d.ddd.uh.

Uhhh, that’s not what the media was telling us not too long ago...

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/college-athletes-experienced-heart-damage-after-covid-19-study-67929

When they imaged the hearts of more than two dozen of Ohio State University players using cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR), they found evidence of myocarditis in 15 percent, while a further 30 percent had cellular damage or swelling that could not be linked definitively to the condition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7506347/

patients with COVID-19 are reported at prevalence of 27%–31% for venous thromboembolic events. The probability of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism prior to intensive exercise after COVID-19 infection should be considered. The prevalence of cardiac injury is reported at 19%, and the prevalence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism is higher than that for myocarditis.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-coronavirus-heart-inflammation-athletes-myocarditis.html

The opening paragraph in this article.
A small but growing body of evidence shows that COVID-19 can damage the heart, sometimes fatally, even in a previously healthy young athlete.

Remember, these are all from medical science journals that people “trust” to bring them legitimate scientific reports. All three articles were the first three that popped up on a “covid causes myocarditis” search and the oldest is only seven months old. These aren’t politicaly driven news agencies trying to fear monger. They’re scientists trying to fear monger. Makes you wonder who’s controlling them. Sorry argh, I trust no one.

alabamagrizzly said:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-coronavirus-heart-inflammation-athletes-myocarditis.html

A small but growing body of evidence shows that COVID-19 can damage the heart, sometimes fatally, even in a previously healthy young athlete.

Remember, these are all from medical science journals that people “trust” to bring them legitimate scientific reports. All three articles were the first three that popped up on a “covid causes myocarditis” search and the oldest is only seven months old. These aren’t politically driven news agencies trying to fear monger. They’re scientists trying to fear monger. Makes you wonder who’s controlling them. Sorry argh, I trust no one.
Most likely National Institutes of Health (NIH) or perhaps National Science Foundation (NSF). It's generally not direct control (or maybe it is, now), but it can be just as effective. Thus, when you troll for grant money (which I did for over 30 years), you obviously have to address the technical issues and explain why your outfit is clearly the best to tackle the problem. That's for the review committee. (I was sometimes on that side too, BTW.) However, you also try to read between the lines on every Request for Proposals to figure out what will impress the federal bureaucrat(s) who will make the final decisions. Then, in your report(s), you at least try to throw them a bone that they can put in the reports they pass up the line. Trouble is, you can include all the "on the other hand" statements you want about potentially scary stuff ... but it's the alarming "maybes" that get highlighted, often with little or no context. And that's what goes into the government press release.

argh! said:

This was the most painful thing I've ever had. Fortunately, I've managed to avoid another bout for 5 years.

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:

So you're saying Edwardo Rodriguez did not have covid? His myocarditis was a direct result of his China Virus illness and he is just now working out with the Red Sox, after nearly a year. I have heard no one say his condition was anything but serious.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

So you're saying Edwardo Rodriguez did not have covid? His myocarditis was a direct result of his China Virus illness and he is just now working out with the Red Sox, after nearly a year. I have heard no one say his condition was anything but serious.

That’s a stretch. He was diagnosed in July just before the season started. Sat out all season due to the three month recovery and now the next season has started and he’s ready to go. Are you trying to fear monger also Kem?

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:

That’s a stretch. He was diagnosed in July just before the season started. Sat out all season due to the three month recovery and now the next season has started and he’s ready to go. Are you trying to fear monger also Kem?
You stretched the other direction. He is behind his teammates in being ready to go even now. Are you saying his condition was not serious?

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:
You stretched the other direction. He is behind his teammates in being ready to go even now. Are you saying his condition was not serious?

Definitely not but you make it sound like he hasn’t been able to pitch in almost a year. He was cleared for normal workouts last Oct and has been training all off season to get back in shape. He’s already expected to once again be the workhorse of the staff and possibly be back to his Cy Young contender status. Yes he was really sick for a couple months and that’s scary but he’s made a full recovery.

This article was from the beginning of spring training this year.

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2021/02/20/boston-red-sox-eduardo-rodriguez-a-full-go/

Manager Alex Cora is counting on another workhorse season from Rodriguez, with Price and Porcello gone and Sale recovering from Tommy John surgery. But the manager said the most important thing was seeing Rodriguez arrive in camp healthy.

“Forget baseball,” Cora said. “It was a tough year for him, health-wise. For him to be able work out and go through his progression and be in the situation he is – amazing.”

Cora said Rodriguez has been cleared for full activities since October. He pitched a bullpen session on Wednesday and had no problems; the team will continue to monitor him.

“We have to pay attention. That doesn’t mean we’re going to slow him down,” Cora said. “The way he reacts is going to determine how much we give him.”

This is the article after his first start.

https://www.masslive.com/redsox/2021/03/eduardo-rodriguez-felt-like-he-was-making-mlb-debut-in-first-outing-for-boston-red-sox-in-nearly-a-year-bro-i-feel-chills.html

For Rodriguez, his first competitive appearance since March 11 represented an important step in his return. After being shut down from all physical activity for months and working his way back to full strength during the off-season, the fact he was able to throw 2 ⅔ innings against Tampa Bay represented a milestone.

“I just enjoyed that I had the opportunity to be back out there,” Rodriguez said. “That’s what I was thinking in the first inning when I went out there. When I threw the first couple pitches, I was thinking of that and then as the game went on, that’s when I started throwing pitches and doing everything back to normal and how I wanted.”

Other than giving up a second-inning homer to outfielder Moises Gomez, Rodriguez had little trouble with the Rays, allowing two hits and striking out two batters. The plan was for Rodriguez to go either three innings or throw 50 pitches, so manager Alex Cora pulled him as he approached his pitch limit with two outs in the third.

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:

three months is not serious? you are getttinnging oldd.dddd.d.d.d.d.d.ddd.uh.

Correct, taking off 3 months from not working out hard, and then being perfectly okay is not serious. 3 months is precautionary. Players sometimes take off 3 months from minor injuries.

alabamagrizzly said:

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-opinion/college-athletes-experienced-heart-damage-after-covid-19-study-67929

When they imaged the hearts of more than two dozen of Ohio State University players using cardiac magnetic resonance (CMR), they found evidence of myocarditis in 15 percent, while a further 30 percent had cellular damage or swelling that could not be linked definitively to the condition.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7506347/

patients with COVID-19 are reported at prevalence of 27%–31% for venous thromboembolic events. The probability of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism prior to intensive exercise after COVID-19 infection should be considered. The prevalence of cardiac injury is reported at 19%, and the prevalence of deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism is higher than that for myocarditis.

Remember, these are all from medical science journals that people “trust” to bring them legitimate scientific reports. All three articles were the first three that popped up on a “covid causes myocarditis” search and the oldest is only seven months old. These aren’t politicaly driven news agencies trying to fear monger. They’re scientists trying to fear monger. Makes you wonder who’s controlling them. Sorry argh, I trust no one.

Those articles turned out not to be accurate;

Back