• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

When does New Mexico State drop down?

get'em_griz said:
They’re currently losing to Tarleton State (1st year FCS) 40-10 at the end of the 3rd quarter.

I live in NM and i never even pay attention to NMSU or UNM because they totally suck... but that's hilarious.

They are comically bad. Epically bad. Historically bad. It was truly comical to listen to their announcers talk about the fall schedule and about all the “winnable” games on that schedule....they’re going 1-11 IF they get lucky against Dixie State.

I hate that I am forced to be an apologist for the joke that is NMSU, however we do have to keep in mind that the New Mexico dictator, ahem, governor, forbade sports teams from even practicing in the state (let alone playing games) for the majority of the last year. I'm sure the lack of quality time in the weight room and on the practice field hasn't helped the poor Aggies.

Da Boyz Mom said:
I hate that I am forced to be an apologist for the joke that is NMSU, however we do have to keep in mind that the New Mexico dictator, ahem, governor, forbade sports teams from even practicing in the state (let alone playing games) for the majority of the last year. I'm sure the lack of quality time in the weight room and on the practice field hasn't helped the poor Aggies.
I suspect you're right. The NMSU basketball team, which has been the class of the WAC for years, is having a disastrously bad year. But, near as I can tell, the closest they've played to "home" was in El Paso, Texas. Only an hour bus ride away from Cruces, but not the same. (They may have had a "home" game in Phoenix or Tucson, but I'm not sure of that.) And the on-campus PanAm center has always been the Aggies' ace in the hole.

MikeyGriz said:
They would fit into our conference footprint!
What are you smoking? Las Cruces is 46 miles from Mexico. The only BSC school within 700 miles is NAU. They do fit into the WAC footprint. As do NAU and UNC.

kemajic said:
MikeyGriz said:
What are you smoking? Las Cruces is 46 miles from Mexico. The only BSC school within 700 miles is NAU. They do fit into the WAC footprint. As do NAU and UNC.

I'm hoping Mikey was being facetious about them fitting into the Big Sky because the last thing we need is more mediocre teams (in that sense, NMSU WOULD fit right in). However, considering the great distances that already must be traversed within the BSC, Cruces isn't really that much farther. Missoula to Las Cruces is only 150 more miles than Missoula to San Luis Obispo. Having said that, the WAC is still the obvious place for the Aggies if/when they ever drop down, which in my estimation isn't likely.

kemajic said:
MikeyGriz said:

I’d have to guess he’s joking because has it not been an on running joke how spread out the con is. I’m pretty sure anyone west of the Rocky Mountain Front has been “considered” in the BSC footprint. Oh, plus the UNDies and Greeley.

HelenaHandBasket said:
The short answer: they won't. For NMSU it isn't really about results, it is about FBS money games.

And the dubious prestige of being an FBS team. The FCS is beneath them... Even while they're getting trounced by bad FCS teams.

Had an interesting convo w/ the guy who covers the team for a newspaper in NM.. I asked him when they finally bite the bullet and drop down like Idaho. He didn't seem to think they're considering it right now, but thinks the WAC would be a natural destination.. but perhaps holding out for the WAC to move up to FBS. Which, that will never happen as the FBS conferences aren't likely going to be inclined to share another piece of the money pie with a conference full of D2s and middling FCS schools that likely don't have facilities that even meet FBS attendances standards.

Well on paper when FBS is beaten by a transitioning FCS school that is surprising. However, NMSU was using this game as their “Spring Game” which kind of tells me they did not take it seriously. Not sure how much training they put into the game. TSU has some good Texas athletes and had a game under their belts. NMSU has no history of being good and is without a conference. They are literally one of the worst FBS programs for football. So not all that that surprising when you consider all of that.

Least is a warning for us to take Central Washington seriously this Spring.

Stubbornness. UI and NMSU get bounced from the Sun Belt, and consider FCS beneath them. Could you imagine the road trip to/from Cheney or Portland? Those living down there would be more aware of the situation. All politics is local.

dayday said:
Least is a warning for us to take Central Washington seriously this Spring.
I doubt BH has forgotten the 2008 game when it was a bit of a miracle that the NC runner-up pulled out the win 38-35. Hopefully CWU does not have another Mike Reilly. But I bet there will some film shown.

Back