• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bills would allow Montana college athletes to profit from name and likeness, allow colleges to serve alcohol at games

PlayerRep

"Senate Bill 247 would allow colleges and universities in the state — both Big Sky Conference schools, Montana State-Billings, the six Montana schools in the Frontier Conference and tribal schools — to serve beer and wine at sporting events.

Senate Bill 248 would allow student-athletes at those same schools to be compensated for use of their name, image and likeness (NIL) in Montana.

Sen. Ellie Boldman, D-Missoula, is the sponsor of both bills. Similar NIL legislation has passed in other states, including Michigan, Florida and California. Many college athletics conferences and states have revised rules and allowed for alcohol sales during intercollegiate athletic events.

SB 247 would allow businesses with a catering endorsement for beer and wine to contract with Montana, Montana State, MSU-Billings, the state's Frontier Conference schools and tribal colleges to serve to the general public at sporting events."

https://missoulian.com/sports/bills-would-allow-montana-college-athletes-to-profit-from-name-and-likeness-allow-colleges-to/article_af66aa98-a8c1-5c57-9f6e-d054702ba6d4.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

I can guess which bill Griz fans are more excited about😄.

This is good for the players too though and one can only assume that some athletes have spurned us for greener pastures before. Now the money element has been taken out of the equation...as long as the bill passes.

I've sent a letter to my state senator and state rep, with cc to Haslam, urging support for 247. We've had our heads in the sand too long and could really use the revenue missed. Couple that with eliminating re-entry and we can have a relaxed beer in the stadium and keep attendance throughout the game. The stampede out before the first half even ends and return as the third quarter is winding down is very disruptive, if not dangerous. It is disheartening to fans in the stadium and to the players to start the second half with a half full stadium.

kemajic said:
I've sent a letter to my state senator and state rep, with cc to Haslam, urging support for 247. We've had our heads in the sand too long and could really use the revenue missed. Couple that with eliminating re-entry and we can have a relaxed beer in the stadium and keep attendance throughout the game. The stampede out before the first half even ends and return as the third quarter is winding down is very disruptive, if not dangerous. It is disheartening to fans in the stadium and to the players to start the second half with a half full stadium.

Don’t forget how disheartening it might be to future recruits when there are several states that allow them to get paid but Montana still doesn’t.

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:

Don’t forget how disheartening it might be to future recruits when there are several states that allow them to get paid but Montana still doesn’t.

I don't think the student income is going to be a major factor for Montana student athletes. In fact, it might be a disincentive in recruiting if they consider potential income at other institutions.

kemajic said:

You really think Griz football players are disheartened when the fans aren't in the seats? How do they manage at away games?

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:

Separate issue.

PhxGriz said:
kemajic said:

You really think Griz football players are disheartened when the fans aren't in the seats? How do they manage at away games?
Very disheartened in non-MSU road conf games. Players get juiced before large crowds.

Large crowds definitely help. You can also notice the difference in enthusiasm at the start and almost to the finish of the 3rd quarter. Idk how people haven't realized the significance of being present vs being absent. Whole different mood. And people wonder why the griz have struggled in the 2nd half, I believe it's correlated to the missing fans in the stadium. The crowd really pumps the team up and when they see they've been abandoned, it dampers the mood. Allow alcohol and get your asses in your seats by the start of the third quarter!

MikeyGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I don't think the student income is going to be a major factor for Montana student athletes. In fact, it might be a disincentive in recruiting if they consider potential income at other institutions.

I think I’m not understanding what you’re saying. The way I’m understanding it, you’re saying that montana kids won’t go to out of state because the other states pay their student-athletes? Please correct me if I’m wrong, which I often am.

The beer revenue seems like an absolute no brainer for the university. FCS stadiums that are doing this are bringing in like 500k to 750k in additional revenue. We need that more than ever, post Covid.

I guess I didn’t realize UM needed the state senate to make a law permitting UM to sell beer in the stadium. Interesting. Either way, even if allowed, we know it simply can’t be done because there are not enough bathrooms, and the blue hairs can’t possibly park elsewhere to make room for portable bathrooms. It is known. We can’t change a thing. Impossible.

Never had a problem with athletes being able to make money from "name and likeness" (N&L) sales. I had hopes that something might happen for college sports way back when the Olympics moved away from their hard-over "amateur" definition. But ... it didn't.

The problem will always be, IMO: How do you equitably share that revenue for team sports like football and basketball? Your star QB may be major draw (and usually is in terms of publicity, at least), but he's obviously nothing without his teammates. And how about the school, which provides the "platform" for him (or her ... think women's Bball) to strut his/her stuff? The athlete should get the biggest cut, I would say, but it would hardly be fair for him/her to get all of it.

IdaGriz01 said:
Never had a problem with athletes being able to make money from "name and likeness" (N&L) sales. I had hopes that something might happen for college sports way back when the Olympics moved away from their hard-over "amateur" definition. But ... it didn't.

The problem will always be, IMO: How do you equitably share that revenue for team sports like football and basketball? Your star QB may be major draw (and usually is in terms of publicity, at least), but he's obviously nothing without his teammates. And how about the school, which provides the "platform" for him (or her ... think women's Bball) to strut his/her stuff? The athlete should get the biggest cut, I would say, but it would hardly be fair for him/her to get all of it.

So...if the Chevy dealer wants the QB to sell some trucks in a commercial...then, the QB should give some of that earned money to the long snapper?

I don’t see why we need the legislature to draft a bill for NIL. If the NCAA is planning on allowing it, then what’s the point on wasting time on a bill? You won’t be able to stop the student athletes at that point.

With regards to beer in the stadium, I understand why they’re drafting a bill for that one cause the schools have pretty reluctant to do it on their own that they might as well encourage them. I don’t buy that whole bathroom bullshit. Why do you need more bathrooms just for selling beer? Seems like we got a good number of bathrooms any way. I know the Griz are worried about the GSA tailgate losing revenue, but they’ll be fine. Nobody’s gonna sit in the stadium an hour before the game and drink beer when they can drink out in the tailgates, and beer in the stadium has the potential to make monster revenue. I’m all for it.

SoldierGriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:

So...if the Chevy dealer wants the QB to sell some trucks in a commercial...then, the QB should give some of that earned money to the long snapper?

Yeah, I’m confused. Does Aaron Rodgers share his State Farm money with his teammates (without whom he is “nothing”) and the Packers (who provided the “platform”)? I honestly don’t know.

We’ve discussed it here before that if the star QB can make more from his name and likeness than the punter, thems the breaks. The punter is free to go become a star QB if he wants. This is the first time I’ve heard of this redistribution angle, especially back to the school. I thought the whole point was to give the player a small chunk if he can earn it because the school makes money off the player. Now, we want the player to give it back to the school?

SoldierGriz said:
IdaGriz01 said:

The issue of players receiving pay for use of their names and likeness is much bigger than the local Chevrolet dealership commercial and which athletes gets a cut. The immediate attention is around EA Sports announcing they are bringing the game NCAA Football back. They are considering including FCS teams and players too. So a for instance, in the game Madden Football, the NFL team, players and coaches receive compensation for using their names and likeness. But in the game NCAA Football they have been able to make billions of dollars off of only needing a licensing agreement with the college or university. The players and coaches never receive a dime in compensation for both their name and likeness being used. So the million (or billion) dollar question is, is it fair that the NFL players receive compensation and not the NCAA football players? This is what is driving this issue.

Well, in addition to the revival of the Spring Thaw and MLAC Kegger competition, I think the kids deserve to have the Kegger Challenge the week of Cat-Griz restarted.

I recall one competion, I think the Allman Brothers and Mission Mountain Wood Band wound up playing at MSU. I think.

Griz til I die said:
I don’t see why we need the legislature to draft a bill for NIL. If the NCAA is planning on allowing it, then what’s the point on wasting time on a bill? You won’t be able to stop the student athletes at that point.

With regards to beer in the stadium, I understand why they’re drafting a bill for that one cause the schools have pretty reluctant to do it on their own that they might as well encourage them. I don’t buy that whole bathroom bullshit. Why do you need more bathrooms just for selling beer? Seems like we got a good number of bathrooms any way. I know the Griz are worried about the GSA tailgate losing revenue, but they’ll be fine. Nobody’s gonna sit in the stadium an hour before the game and drink beer when they can drink out in the tailgates, and beer in the stadium has the potential to make monster revenue. I’m all for it.

I don’t buy the bathroom bullshit, either. But it seems like that’s the first thing people say. Remember when we couldn’t have night games because the barkeeps downtown and hotels would lose revenue? Feels like the same thing.

Latest posts

Back