• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vigen adds 3 new coaches at Montana St, retains 7 from Choate's staff

PlayerRep

"Taylor Housewright, who Vigen worked with for a season at Wyoming, takes over as MSU’s offensive coordinator while coaching quarterbacks. Former North Dakota State cornerback Freddie Banks becomes the program’s defensive coordinator. In addition, Shawn Howe takes over coaching duties of Bobcat defensive line coach, an appointment pending completion of a background check.

Rounding out the MSU staff: Brian Armstrong returns to coach the offensive line, Jimmy Beal continues coaching running backs, Nate Potter remains tight ends coach and Justin Udy slides from quarterbacks to receivers. Defensively, Bobby Daly coaches linebackers, and Kyle Risinger assists Banks with the secondary. BJ Robertson returns in his role as special teams coordinator and director of high school relations.

While acknowledging changes to MSU’s offensive and defensive schemes, Vigen said the guiding principles remain.

“We’re going to make some subtle tweaks certainly on both sides,” he said, “but the general theme of what we’re going after is to play physical, to run the football, to stop the run, to be explosive on the offensive side of things and stop explosive plays defensively. That general philosophy is the same.”

The work of building MSU’s offensive system begins with the program’s recent success."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/brent-vigen-adds-three-new-coaches-at-montana-state-retains-seven-from-jeff-choates-staff/article_64ec1b9a-e55c-5c8a-a6f4-0972edcaafaf.html

looks and sounds good on paper. I watched his introduction and he comes across as a likable guy.. they have a pretty favorable schedule probably end up 7-4 maybe 6-5.

I see the Bubbies at 5-6. Growing pains with a first time HC. Something unexpected will have to happen for them to hit 7-4 (injuries to opponents, etc.). I think 5-6 the first two years will beat Choach’s pace, so I bet Numero Seis knows the drill.

PlayerRep said:
"Taylor Housewright, who Vigen worked with for a season at Wyoming, takes over as MSU’s offensive coordinator while coaching quarterbacks. Former North Dakota State cornerback Freddie Banks becomes the program’s defensive coordinator. In addition, Shawn Howe takes over coaching duties of Bobcat defensive line coach, an appointment pending completion of a background check.

Rounding out the MSU staff: Brian Armstrong returns to coach the offensive line, Jimmy Beal continues coaching running backs, Nate Potter remains tight ends coach and Justin Udy slides from quarterbacks to receivers. Defensively, Bobby Daly coaches linebackers, and Kyle Risinger assists Banks with the secondary. BJ Robertson returns in his role as special teams coordinator and director of high school relations.

While acknowledging changes to MSU’s offensive and defensive schemes, Vigen said the guiding principles remain.

“We’re going to make some subtle tweaks certainly on both sides,” he said, “but the general theme of what we’re going after is to play physical, to run the football, to stop the run, to be explosive on the offensive side of things and stop explosive plays defensively. That general philosophy is the same.”

The work of building MSU’s offensive system begins with the program’s recent success."

https://missoulian.com/sports/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/brent-vigen-adds-three-new-coaches-at-montana-state-retains-seven-from-jeff-choates-staff/article_64ec1b9a-e55c-5c8a-a6f4-0972edcaafaf.html

How could you not be successful doing these things? :roll:

Show me another HC that doesn't want his team to do these same things. :shock:

...acknowledging changes to MSU’s offensive and defensive schemes, Vigen said “...tweaks certainly on both sides...”
Ouch! New schemes on both ends? I thought they wanted to keep it all samesies?

Also, the 3 new coaches happen to be the most important assistants. New coordinators and D-line which was their strongest group. So 4 new faces at the 4 top spots. And technically at least 5 (or is it 6?) total new coach changes overall which is essentially half the staff.

Seems like a complete cultural overhaul on paper and even more so in person. Basically the opposite of Choach in approach and all areas.

Do vegans just love to eat milquetoast? Is that
where the word comes from? Sounds like something they would eat. And this new guy fits the definition to a T.

MikeyGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Good point. Can’t wait for me tee time tomorrow. All I want to do is drive it well, hit my irons close, chip it close if I miss the green, make all my putts, and break the course record. I can’t believe nobody has thought of doing that. Thanks, Coach Vigen!

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Good point. Can’t wait for me tee time tomorrow. All I want to do is drive it well, hit my irons close, chip it close if I miss the green, make all my putts, and break the course record. I can’t believe nobody has thought of doing that. Thanks, Coach Vigen!

Not me, I wanna get my money’s worth when out there on the golf course. If I take less then a 100 swings, I’m throwing money away.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/406mtsports.com/college/big-sky-conference/montana-state-university/new-montana-state-head-coach-brent-vigen-signs-four-year-contract/article_d8fc925e-c1fe-55db-a432-a47cf19c5800.amp.html
Looks like Vigens (nickname TBD, cmon CDA :lol: ) contract details are out. I’d like a cats fans perspective on this, but I feel like a 4 year contract off the bat is a very ballsy move. If he doesn’t pan out or quite live up to expectations right away, MSU may have trouble getting rid of him before his 4th season. I think 3 off the bat is a good number and then 4 after you’ve established yourself. Could you imagine if Stitt had a 4 year contract? We all would’ve been pulling money together for his buyout to get rid of him sooner. What do you all think?

Where's the risk? He's the guy they wanted all along. They just faked everybody out with the 6-sided misdirection play. Look for that play to be rolled out at every game. It's unstoppable!

Back