• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Are the Transfer Portal Floodgates Opening?

StumptownGriz

Toure, Mamula, and Akem just confirmed via social media he has graduated. Is he next to enter the portal? This is all making me very nervous.

Im also concerned about Justin Ford. If you follow his social media hes been everywhere but on campus in Missoula. Currently looks like he's out in Vegas and was back in North Carolina a couple weeks ago.

No need to speculate on other players. Does no good usually causes more problems. Toure and Milton are in the the portal that’s all we know.

You've got nothing to worry about with either of those guys. Akem is the definition of a team player and he has said time and time again that he has unfinished business at UM. Just because of the actions of one individual, doesn't mean it's going to start a chain reaction. And as 84 reported Ford opted out of the season, plus the guy has transferred so many times that I can't imagine he will want to transfer again, that's too much baggage. I bet this is his final stop.

Mamula transferring makes sense with all of his injuries and the fact that he's a long way from home. I wouldn't worry, this happens every once in a while where a good player chooses to leave. Before Toure, when was the last time this happened?

Griz til I die said:
You've got nothing to worry about with either of those guys. Akem is the definition of a team player and he has said time and time again that he has unfinished business at UM. Just because of the actions of one individual, doesn't mean it's going to start a chain reaction. And as 84 reported Ford opted out of the season, plus the guy has transferred so many times that I can't imagine he will want to transfer again, that's too much baggage. I bet this is his final stop.

Mamula transferring makes sense with all of his injuries and the fact that he's a long way from home. I wouldn't worry, this happens every once in a while where a good player chooses to leave. Before Toure, when was the last time this happened?

I seem to remember a certain freshman QB that left when Bobby returned a couple years ago.

MikeyGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

I seem to remember a certain freshman QB that left when Bobby returned a couple years ago.
Ok he left because Bobby brought in Sneed. Had that never happened and Gresch would still be here. It was clear he wanted to go a different direction at QB. Come on lets try to think of a better example then that.

I'm probably in the minority on this, and I definitely wish great Griz players would stay, but I just don't have a problem with guys trying to improve their situations how they see fit.

CDAGRIZ said:
I'm probably in the minority on this, and I definitely wish great Griz players would stay, but I just don't have a problem with guys trying to improve their situations how they see fit.

Being in the minority doesn't make you wrong. Not agreeing with PR does.

MikeyGriz said:
Griz til I die said:

wasn't that before the "portal" was created? jensen went the junior college route after he left, so he could play football during the year he would have had to sit out. or so i thought.

argh! said:
MikeyGriz said:
[/b]

wasn't that before the "portal" was created? jensen went the junior college route after he left, so he could play football during the year he would have had to sit out. or so i thought.
Ya and he’s been in the portal for like a year now and still can’t find a landing spot.

CDAGRIZ said:

Definitely not in the minority. No two situations are the same. Students (not just athletes) leave school for a million different reasons every semester. People just fixate on athletes like they shouldn’t be using college to better themselves like every other student.

I’m all for making some crazy rule that no athlete should be able to leave the team. You know....team before the individual and all that jazz. Hell, even kids who have already graduated shouldn’t be allowed to just up and leave. Make it the law.

As long as the same asinine rules apply to coaches and how they handle players. You offer a kid a scholarship? Kid gets 4 years education free no matter what. If he ends up being the worst left tackle that’s ever been offered a full ride at punter like they do at North Dakota.....it doesn’t matter. Full ride.

When you’re in the kids living room promising he’s going to be the next stud at qb, and then you decide to play 4 other dudes in front of him, because you know, those kids are better....doesn’t matter. Full ride.

As long as we all agree that it’s totally fair for the coach to insist the player stay with the program for 4-5 years....I’m fine asking the same of the kids. But as long as it’s par for the course when coaches pull scholarships, cut players, etc.....I’m ok with the kids, the people bringing fatsos like you and me into the stadium, the guys who build the program; I’m ok with them having a few rights as well. And doing what’s best for them. And if some of us old washed up athletes and “supporters” want to call them selfish for that? Well I guess it’s just the way it goes. They should sleep easy knowing we ALL make decisions based on what is best for ourselves and our families. To pretend it’s perfectly fine when we do it, but act all jaded when some 20 year old makes the same call is laughable....

Just my two cents of course. :cool:

Does anyone think team players are important in college football anymore? I do.

Do team players move to another team for their senior years? To better themselves?

PlayerRep said:

Do team players move to another team for their senior years? To better themselves?

Are you really this outraged about Toure transferring?

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

I don't see outrage in PR's posts.

The concept of team matters.

Also, the idea that coaches and players must be treated the same is tired. It is simply not the way the real world works.

I am not treated the same way as my boss, and I never have been.

CDAGRIZ said:

That attitude is not what makes a team.

PlayerRep said:

Yes and yes.

fanofzoo said:
CDAGRIZ said:

HA! Must be why I like golf. Look, I might be more inclined to agree with you if he was transferring to EWU or something, but I would bet most of his teammates are happy for him to get the opportunity to play at a higher level. I guess I would be happy for him if I was his teammate, even if it made some fans mad.

At some point along the way, I realized that not everyone is like me. Not every player grew up dreaming to become a Griz. Not everyone thinks Wa-Griz/Missoula is some sort of Mecca. Hell, some players may even think they made a mistake by coming to UM. Gun to my head, I would bet most players would rather play in a P5 conference than the Big Sky assuming they have the talent to excel at the P5 school.

Further, I'm not a big fan of the whole "he could still get to the NFL from Montana. Sure, he could. Just like someone could get hired at Google from MSU, but just may have a better chance coming from Stanford (assuming he/she has that option).

I realize that opinions can differ. Hope everyone does.

CDAGRIZ said:
fanofzoo said:

HA! Must be why I like golf. Look, I might be more inclined to agree with you if he was transferring to EWU or something, but I would bet most of his teammates are happy for him to get the opportunity to play at a higher level. I guess I would be happy for him if I was his teammate, even if it made some fans mad.

At some point along the way, I realized that not everyone is like me. Not every player grew up dreaming to become a Griz. Not everyone thinks Wa-Griz/Missoula is some sort of Mecca. Hell, some players may even think they made a mistake by coming to UM. Gun to my head, I would bet most players would rather play in a P5 conference than the Big Sky assuming they have the talent to excel at the P5 school.

Further, I'm not a big fan of the whole "he could still get to the NFL from Montana. Sure, he could. Just like someone could get hired at Google from MSU, but just may have a better chance coming from Stanford (assuming he/she has that option).

I realize that opinions can differ. Hope everyone does.

Now you're into crazy talk! :shock: Put down the pipe and back away! You are obviously suffering from Covid derangement! :lol:

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

I am not outraged in the least. I have said I hope he finds what he wants, is successful and makes the NFL.

Do you know what a team player is? I suspect not, as I doubt that you ever played the game at any significant level, based on how you post. And, you can't read very well.

Back