• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

No one knows where people are getting infected

PlayerRep

"As Covid-19 Surges, the Big Unknown Is Where People Are Getting Infected

The U.S. and Europe struggle to identify where coronavirus infections are occurring, making it hard to impose targeted restrictions"

"Western nations face a big challenge in fighting the Covid-19 pandemic: Ten months into the health crisis, they still know little about where people are catching the virus.

The problem is becoming more acute as new cases are breaking records in the U.S. and Europe and pressure grows on authorities to impose targeted restrictions on places that are spreading the virus, rather than broad confinement measures that are wreaking havoc on the economy.

In Germany, authorities say they don’t know where 75% of people who currently test positive for the coronavirus got it. In Austria, the figure stands at 77%. In Spain, the health ministry said that it was able to identify the origin of only 7% of infections registered in the last week of October. In France and Italy, only some 20% of new cases have been linked to people who previously tested positive.

Jay Varma, senior adviser for public health in the New York City mayor’s office, said 10% of the city’s infections are due to travel, 5% from gatherings, and another 5% from institutional settings such as nursing homes.

“The vast majority of the remainder—somewhere probably around 50% or more—we don’t have a way to directly attribute their source of infection,” Mr. Varma said. “And that’s a concern.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-covid-19-surges-the-big-unknown-is-where-people-are-getting-infected-11605474874?mod=hp_lead_pos7

PlayerRep said:

The U.S. and Europe struggle to identify where coronavirus infections are occurring, making it hard to impose targeted restrictions"

"Western nations face a big challenge in fighting the Covid-19 pandemic: Ten months into the health crisis, they still know little about where people are catching the virus.

The problem is becoming more acute as new cases are breaking records in the U.S. and Europe and pressure grows on authorities to impose targeted restrictions on places that are spreading the virus, rather than broad confinement measures that are wreaking havoc on the economy.

In Germany, authorities say they don’t know where 75% of people who currently test positive for the coronavirus got it. In Austria, the figure stands at 77%. In Spain, the health ministry said that it was able to identify the origin of only 7% of infections registered in the last week of October. In France and Italy, only some 20% of new cases have been linked to people who previously tested positive.

Jay Varma, senior adviser for public health in the New York City mayor’s office, said 10% of the city’s infections are due to travel, 5% from gatherings, and another 5% from institutional settings such as nursing homes.

“The vast majority of the remainder—somewhere probably around 50% or more—we don’t have a way to directly attribute their source of infection,” Mr. Varma said. “And that’s a concern.”

https://www.wsj.com/articles/as-covid-19-surges-the-big-unknown-is-where-people-are-getting-infected-11605474874?mod=hp_lead_pos7

All Biden's "science experts" don't know? I thought President Wear a Mask and his crew would have some answers by now.

I think we know right? It’s gotta be just bars and restaurants right? Not during the day of course. But after 10pm is where the virus REALLY spreads....

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

All Biden's "science experts" don't know? I thought President Wear a Mask and his crew would have some answers by now.

That's funny. Because I thought we'd "turned the corner" on this pandemic. That after the election it would "all go away." So why are we even discussing it now?

You look at the world and US graphs for new cases and it's obvious that we have no fucking clue how to curb the growth/spread of this virus. All our hand wringing (and washing), masks, social distance and economic destruction barely put a fucking DENT in the growth rate of this virus. At the end of the day, "virus gonna virus" until it's all burned out.

And yet we continue to make the same, stupid mistakes that were being made in April, May & June, shutting down, locking up, etc., etc. It's like the definition of stupidity.

AZGrizFan said:
You look at the world and US graphs for new cases and it's obvious that we have no f###[#] clue how to curb the growth/spread of this virus. All our hand wringing (and washing), masks, social distance and economic destruction barely put a f###[#] DENT in the growth rate of this virus. At the end of the day, "virus gonna virus" until it's all burned out.

And yet we continue to make the same, stupid mistakes that were being made in April, May & June, shutting down, locking up, etc., etc. It's like the definition of stupidity.

Well when only around half the population believes Covid is a real issue and don't really practice the precautions, it makes total sense why it is still a problem. If everyone got on board and took the precautions seriously, we would all most likely be in a different place now. The uncertainty of infections should be a pretty good indicator that wearing a mask only at the grocery store because you have to, yet not taking precautions when you get together with your friends, is no way to mitigate the virus. You can't expect a half-assed effort to make everything better.

Well I don't think PR is following his own constant advice about doing research before posting. I have a suggestion. Where are people getting infected you ask? Why don't about four of you idiots get in a nice warm car, windows up with no airflow and take a little road trip. Passing through Lake County have lunch and a few drinks in Polson. Then head up to the Flathead Valley. A nice trip up the trapline to the bars in Coram and Hungry Horse should be a good start. Don't worry about masks - you might be shot if you wore one in. Glad hand, tell dirty jokes and buy the locals lots of drinks so they get slobbery and hug you. From there you can try the Remington in Whitefish and Scotties in Kalispell. Be sure and cuddle up at night in your motel room close together. Then head to Sanders County and hit a few bars. Then off to Hamilton, Stevensville and your favorite Bitterroot haunts. Then just come home and wait a few days. There is a good chance you will find an answer to your question of where people are getting infected. That's what I call research boys, get after it.

Mousegriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Biden has a Coronavirus team.

Trump's team has Coronavirus.

That's everything you need to know.

EverettGriz said:
Mousegriz said:

Biden has a Coronavirus team.

Trump's team has Coronavirus.

That's everything you need to know.

Every team in the country has coronavirus! Once Biden's wakes up and does a little work they'll get it too. Then they'll tell all teams to take their balls and go home and lock their doors for a couple years!

They are getting infected by other people who have the virus in the places where those other people who have the virus are. Duh. I should have a daily press conference.

alabamagrizzly said:
Anyone on here had the covid? I did. Worst freaking cold I ever had in my life.

I’m fighting it as we speak. Haven’t been as lucky as most, it’s been kicking my ass. Feels like I let a North Dakota fan step on my chest. Even talking is enough to give me a coughing attack. Breathing is strained. Oxygen levels as low as 90.

Fascinating to me how it effects everyone so differently.

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I’m fighting it as we speak. Haven’t been as lucky as most, it’s been kicking my ass. Feels like I let a North Dakota fan step on my chest. Even talking is enough to give me a coughing attack. Breathing is strained. Oxygen levels as low as 90.

Cats, good fortune for a complete recovery!

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Oh wow. Hoping you heal up quick.

Only 15 more days to bend the curve again....and....again....and....

Shut er down. Accept your paltry check from your government.

SoldierGriz said:
Only 15 more days to bend the curve again....and....again....and....

Shut er down. Accept your paltry check from your government.

What, me worry? It’ll all go away......

Like magic

Back