• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz To Wear The Number 81-90

SaskGriz

DONOR
81 Shannon Cabunoc: A smaller receiver but with excellent speed. A quality return man as well.

Honorable Mention: Tyler Palmer, a very talented receiver who was part of some very good receiving corps.

82 Mike Ferriter: An excellent receiver on some very good teams, ranks in the top 20 in school history in catches, yards, and touchdowns.

Honorable Mention: Mark Spencer, who started out handling both kicking duties but made his mark as an All Big Sky 2nd team punter.

83 Brody McKnight, the third highest scoring kicker in FCS history (the two ahead of him are Dan Carpenter and Chris Snyder!), and one of the first punters to effectively use the rugby style kick technique.

Honorable Mention: Receiver Dane Oliver was a clutch receiver especially on third down. And I’d be condemned to prairie hell if I didn’t shout out current Saskatchewan Rough Riders head coach Craig Dickenson who wore this number with no distinction what so ever.

84 Travis Walker was a very good receiver for the Griz in the late 90’s.

Honorable Mention: Jeff McElroy might have been a legendary player here but things didn’t work out and he transferred away. 84 is another one of those numbers without a lot of depth.

85 Kavario Middleton a big strong tight end who transferred from Washington, split time with Greg Hardy. He is something of a “what could have been” player.

Honorable Mention: Reese Carlson another inside receiver in the “what could have been” category.

86 Greg Hardy was a First Team All Big Sky tight end.

Honorable Mention: Ben Roberts only played one year and then got an NFL try out, I suspect that must mean something about his talent and ability at wide receiver.

87 Dan Beaudin was a productive tight end, sometimes splitting time with Steve Pfahler. He eventually worked his way a free agent deal in the NFL.

Honorable Mention: Bryson Deming is the proto-typical tight end in a Coach Hauck offense; big, aggressive and with a surprising turn of speed. Willie Walden caught 40 passes in three years as a tight end with 8 TDs.

88 Raul Pacheco was the consummate possession receiver , over 190 receptions for 2500 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Honorable Mention: Two tight ends, Steve Pfahler and Colin Bingham. Both men of similar size and both played in systems that used multiple tight ends which held down their individual stats.

89 JC Campbell an All American and All Big Sky rush end who was devastating coming off the edge but had some injurie concerns that limited his overall effectiveness.

Honorable Mention: Chuck Mason was a big strong defense tackle who was All-Big Sky second team back in 1993.

90 Mike Murphy was an All Big Sky and All American defensive end.

Honorable Mention: Corey Falls who went from running back as a freshman to All Conference defensive end as a senior.

#81, the first Griz jersey I ever owned. I wore the crap outta that thing! Being a little guy myself Shannon was very inspirational to me.

SaskGriz said:
81 Shannon Cabunoc: A smaller receiver but with excellent speed. A quality return man as well.

Honorable Mention: Tyler Palmer, a very talented receiver who was part of some very good receiving corps.

82 Mike Ferriter: An excellent receiver on some very good teams, ranks in the top 20 in school history in catches, yards, and touchdowns.

Honorable Mention: Mark Spencer, who started out handling both kicking duties but made his mark as an All Big Sky 2nd team punter.

83 Brody McKnight, the third highest scoring kicker in FCS history (the two ahead of him are Dan Carpenter and Chris Snyder!), and one of the first punters to effectively use the rugby style kick technique.

Honorable Mention: Receiver Dane Oliver was a clutch receiver especially on third down. And I’d be condemned to prairie hell if I didn’t shout out current Saskatchewan Rough Riders head coach Craig Dickenson who wore this number with no distinction what so ever.

Honorable Mention: Jeff McElroy might have been a legendary player here but things didn’t work out and he transferred away. 84 is another one of those numbers without a lot of depth.

85 Kavario Middleton a big strong tight end who transferred from Washington, split time with Greg Hardy. He is something of a “what could have been” player.

Honorable Mention: Reese Carlson another inside receiver in the “what could have been” category.

Honorable Mention: Ben Roberts only played one year and then got an NFL try out, I suspect that must mean something about his talent and ability at wide receiver.

87 Dan Beaudin was a productive tight end, sometimes splitting time with Steve Pfahler. He eventually worked his way a free agent deal in the NFL.

Honorable Mention: Bryson Deming is the proto-typical tight end in a Coach Hauck offense; big, aggressive and with a surprising turn of speed. Willie Walden caught 40 passes in three years as a tight end with 8 TDs.

88 Raul Pacheco was the consummate possession receiver , over 190 receptions for 2500 yards and 21 touchdowns.

Honorable Mention: Two tight ends, Steve Pfahler and Colin Bingham. Both men of similar size and both played in systems that used multiple tight ends which held down their individual stats.

89 JC Campbell an All American and All Big Sky rush end who was devastating coming off the edge but had some injurie concerns that limited his overall effectiveness.

Honorable Mention: Chuck Mason was a big strong defense tackle who was All-Big Sky second team back in 1993.

Honorable Mention: Corey Falls who went from running back as a freshman to All Conference defensive end as a senior.

Did Griz football exist before Don Read began coaching here? If so, did they use numbers #61 to #80 in any of those years?

Mousegriz said:
SaskGriz said:

Did Griz football exist before Don Read began coaching here? If so, did they use numbers #61 to #80 in any of those years?

If you read the very first post,(Just called Best Griz To Wear The Number ) I explained the reasons that I only considered players from 1986 onward. The primary reason is that I only started following the Griz in 1986 so I don't feel qualified to have an opinion on earlier players.

I hope it comes through that I am a huge fan of the history of the Griz, and if anybody who is better qualified than me every wants to make a list using players from "back in the day" I will be the first to read it!

83. shouldn't that be mariani? mcknight was great, but i don't think he was up to the level of mariani. neither shied away from contact :).

Back