• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky to Release 6-game Spring Schedule

As a fan I think I'll love it. Though I'm one not convinced there will be a season. I know the coaches hate the idea of a spring season. But a 6 game schedule would be very exciting, although brutal. I feel like even one loss might knock a team out of the playoffs. And when that happens, I think every coach with a 1 or 2 loss team immediately sits their starters. While I don't really feel there is any point in a spring "season" to begin with, there is CERTAINLY no point once the playoffs are out of reach.

AZGrizFan said:
Why not 8? Or 9?

Six seems like a waste of time.

From what I am hearing, the timeframe, weather, and just plain economics of conducting a season with little to no fans. The Conference as a whole believes 6 games is the best scenario. I know several in a few different athletic departments that will be surprised if 6 even happen.

I'm sure it was stated someplace else, but is this the final season for the seniors? That would suck for them.

AZGrizFan said:
Why not 8? Or 9?

The BSC operated with 4 conference games for its first 7 years. It wasn't until BSU and NAU joined in '70 that they got to 6 and then adding UN in '79, they got to 7.

So why would it be a waste of time now, particularly should FCS decide to have playoffs?

HelenaHandBasket said:
AZGrizFan said:
Why not 8? Or 9?

From what I am hearing, the timeframe, weather, and just plain economics of conducting a season with little to no fans. The Conference as a whole believes 6 games is the best scenario. I know several in a few different athletic departments that will be surprised if 6 even happen.
Agree, but a six game schedule has a better chance of surviving. It still depends on getting butts in the seats as these programs cannot afford to do it without. I doubt we would wind up with 12 participants in any case.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Agree, but a six game schedule has a better chance of surviving. It still depends on getting butts in the seats as these programs cannot afford to do it without. I doubt we would wind up with 12 participants in any case.

Most of them (outside of Griz and ‘scats) do it without butts in the seats NOW....

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:

Most of them (outside of Griz and ‘scats) do it without butts in the seats NOW....
4500 is better than nothing when they buy concessions and parking.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
4500 is better than nothing when they buy concessions and parking.

I think you are missing the biggest issue, campus wide shortfalls. This isn't only about tickets and munchies. Most of the school rely on state cash, which just isn't there.

I think 6 games is ridiculous. At that point it’s not even worth it if you don’t play at least 8 games. How the hell is the committee supposed to decide between a 5-1 Griz team or a 7-1 SDSU team? They’re bound to take the SDSU team that has 2 additional wins. I was an advocate for a spring season, and I understand why they’re only doing 6 games but at that point it’s just not worth it.

In Hauck’s most recent interview from Riley Corcoran, Hauck mentioned that if the spring was any more than 6 games that he and others weren’t very interested. Sounds like he and his staff as well as other coaching staffs across the Big Sky aren’t interested in an 8 game schedule and then trying to turn around and play a full schedule in the fall. That turn around is just too quick and unhealthy on the players.

I think this 6 game schedule is simply a way for universities to bring in some form of $ to offset the huge losses they’ve seen. Any fans, concessions, hotel stays, food, etc goes a very long way in making up for some of those losses and the Missoula economy as well.

As a fan, I’m thrilled there may be football to watch. As a coach or player, I can see why they’re not too excited.

Yukon said:
I'm sure it was stated someplace else, but is this the final season for the seniors? That would suck for them.

All rostered players (besides incoming freshman I beleive) received an additional year of eligibility. That means they can all play this spring and then again in the fall. Same with our basketball team based on recent ncaa approval. However, most athletic programs and universities do not have the dollars to support the scholarships it would require for everyone to come back. So I don’t think it’s as clear-cut as people think.

HookedonGriz said:
In Hauck’s most recent interview from Riley Corcoran, Hauck mentioned that if the spring was any more than 6 games that he and others weren’t very interested. Sounds like he and his staff as welcome as other coaching staffs across the Big Sky aren’t interested in an 8 game schedule and then trying to turn around and play a full schedule in the fall. That turn around is just too quick and unhealthy on the players.

I think this 6 game schedule is simply a way for universities to bring in some form of $ to offset the huge losses they’ve seen. Any fans, concessions, hotel stays, food, etc goes a very long way in making up for some of those losses and the Missoula economy as well.

As a fan, I’m thrilled there may be football to watch. As a coach or player, I can see why they’re not too excited.

In reality, it is nothing more than a practice season.

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:
In Hauck’s most recent interview from Riley Corcoran, Hauck mentioned that if the spring was any more than 6 games that he and others weren’t very interested. Sounds like he and his staff as welcome as other coaching staffs across the Big Sky aren’t interested in an 8 game schedule and then trying to turn around and play a full schedule in the fall. That turn around is just too quick and unhealthy on the players.

Hardly, if there are BCS playoffs.

I guess the first 16 years of the BSC were just practice seasons since they never had more than 6 conference games.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Hardly, if there are PCS playoffs.

I guess the first 16 years of the BSC were just practice seasons since they never had more than 6 conference games.

Pretty sure I made no reference to the number of games.

HookedonGriz said:
Yukon said:

All rostered players (besides incoming freshman I beleive) received an additional year of eligibility. That means they can all play this spring and then again in the fall. Same with our basketball team based on recent ncaa approval. However, most athletic programs and universities do not have the dollars to support the scholarships it would require for everyone to come back. So I don’t think it’s as clear-cut as people think.
Thank you.

kemajic said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Hardly, if there are PCS playoffs.

I'm guessing you and Dave Sorensen played back in those days?

Dillon said:
kemajic said:
Hardly, if there are BCS playoffs.

I'm guessing you and Dave Sorensen played back in those days?
Dave never played at UM, but he took a lot of blows from me in HS at Harlowton.

I am not at all sure that any of the universities in the conference will make any money on the basis of a 6 game schedule. Assuming all teams get 3 home games and assuming you will have at or under 5000 fans per game, it is not at all certain that the revenues generated will cover overall expenses. They may not lose money, but whether they will make any is debatable.

Admittedly I have not done an in depth analysis of associated costs to host a game but there will be some.

Back