• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz To Wear The Number 31-40

SaskGriz

DONOR
31 Carl Franks – An All-Big Sky DB who could play safety or on the corner. He went on to have a long coaching career in the NCAA, including three years with the Griz and in the CFL.

Honorable Mention – Justin Whitted and Tyler Thomas both played well on the back end of the defense for Montana.

32 Dallas Neil – Gets the nod for his versatility playing tight end and punting. Was an honorable mention All-American and had a cup of coffee in the NFL with both the Falcons and the Jets.

Honorable Mention: All Big Sky DB Torrey Thomas and under rated LB Alex Shaw

33 Dante Olsen: If I listed all of Dante’s accolades I’d be here a long while and wasting my time, we all know them.

Honorable Mention: Justin Green, a star running back and a damn fine coach and recruiter. Cole Lockwood who was All-Big Sky as a special teams demon before his career was cut short after getting hit by a speeding car.

34 Chase Reynolds: Running back, first in TD’s, second in yards, absolute work horse. Knowing he was coming and stopping him were two different things.

Honorable Mention: Jace Lewis, who enters this season as the heir apparent to Dante Olsen and Blaine McElmurry, a two time All American and one of a seemingly endless list of great Montana safeties.

35 Kendrick Van Ackeren: This linebacker never had a bad game, and I’m not sure if he ever had a bad play.

Honorable Mention: Fan Favourite and high light reel running back, Dan Moore.

36 Herbert Gamboa: A speedy, All-Big Sky linebacker.

Honorable Mention: James Banks, this was basically a coin flip with Gamboa, both were very good outside backers.

37 Tim Hauck: Had to give it to the original. An All American defensive back who was…Tim Hauck.

Honorable Mention: Jason Crebo as good a linebacker as the Griz have ever had. Todd Ericson, who on most other FCS teams would be the best safety in program history. Lauren Utterback another great linebacker who should be more than Honorable Mention but that’s the talent that has worn “37”.

*All four of these players wore “37” for all four years, they impressed enough during their red-shirt year to get the jersey. That is incredible!

38 Lex Hilliard: A lethal combination of size, speed, power, and quick feet. Maybe the most “Ready for Sundays” running back to ever play for the Griz.

Honorable Mention: Matt Clark an elusive receiver who got his start running wide receiver screens for Coach Reid’s first Griz teams.

39 Shann Schillinger: Yet another outstanding safety and a great leader.

Honorable Mention: Kurt Schilling a quality linebacker for the Griz.

40 Caleb McSurdy : An All-American linebacker and the heart of the Griz defence that went to the National Semi Finals in 2011.

Honorable Mention: Ike Mincy, a rush end from Florida who was held back by injuries. This is a number where it was very hard to find players.

My comment here is on 32...As much as I loved Dallas and the catch-run-dive for the pylon against the Scats in '98, I might have to lean towards Shaw. Vastly underrated LB.

SaskGriz said:
31 Carl Franks – An All-Big Sky DB who could play safety or on the corner. He went on to have a long coaching career in the NCAA, including three years with the Griz and in the CFL.

Honorable Mention – Justin Whitted and Tyler Thomas both played well on the back end of the defense for Montana.

32 Dallas Neil – Gets the nod for his versatility playing tight end and punting. Was an honorable mention All-American and had a cup of coffee in the NFL with both the Falcons and the Jets.

Honorable Mention: All Big Sky DB Torrey Thomas and under rated LB Alex Shaw

33 Dante Olsen: If I listed all of Dante’s accolades I’d be here a long while and wasting my time, we all know them.

Honorable Mention: Justin Green, a star running back and a damn fine coach and recruiter. Cole Lockwood who was All-Big Sky as a special teams demon before his career was cut short after getting hit by a speeding car.

34 Chase Reynolds: Running back, first in TD’s, second in yards, absolute work horse. Knowing he was coming and stopping him were two different things.

Honorable Mention: Jace Lewis, who enters this season as the heir apparent to Dante Olsen and Blaine McElmurry, a two time All American and one of a seemingly endless list of great Montana safeties.

35 Kendrick Van Ackeren: This linebacker never had a bad game, and I’m not sure if he ever had a bad play.

Honorable Mention: Fan Favourite and high light reel running back, Dan Moore.

36 Herbert Gamboa: A speedy, All-Big Sky linebacker.

Honorable Mention: James Banks, this was basically a coin flip with Gamboa, both were very good outside backers.

37 Tim Hauck: Had to give it to the original. An All American defensive back who was…Tim Hauck.

Honorable Mention: Jason Crebo as good a linebacker as the Griz have ever had. Todd Ericson, who on most other FCS teams would be the best safety in program history. Lauren Utterback another great linebacker who should be more than Honorable Mention but that’s the talent that has worn “37”.

*All four of these players wore “37” for all four years, they impressed enough during their red-shirt year to get the jersey. That is incredible!

38 Lex Hilliard: A lethal combination of size, speed, power, and quick feet. Maybe the most “Ready for Sundays” running back to ever play for the Griz.

Honorable Mention: Matt Clark an elusive receiver who got his start running wide receiver screens for Coach Reid’s first Griz teams.

39 Shann Schillinger: Yet another outstanding safety and a great leader.

Honorable Mention: Kurt Schilling a quality linebacker for the Griz.

40 Caleb McSurdy : An All-American linebacker and the heart of the Griz defence that went to the National Semi Finals in 2011.

Honorable Mention: Ike Mincy, a rush end from Florida who was held back by injuries. This is a number where it was very hard to find players.

Funny story about Chase Reynolds.... Not only did he take Andrew Schmidt job at RB, but he also took his job as a bartender. (I can't remember the name of the bar)

Latest posts

Back