• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Best Griz To Wear The Number

SaskGriz

DONOR
- This is subjective and just for fun and any omission in unintentional.

- I only looked at players who played between 1986 and the present;
a. I started following the Griz in 1985.
b. 1986 was the first year of the present "GRIZ DNA"; by that I mean, the team switched from a variety of offences to a consistent spread or pro style offence. As well, the team moved into "The Mecca of FCS football", which was instrumental in the evolution of Griz football.
c. The further back one goes the less information is available.

- Players are listed by the number they wore as a senior with the exception of wearers of the "37", they are listed by the last number they wore before being given the "37" jersey.

1 Levander Segars: not only a record setting return man but a very respectable receiver as well. Still holds Big Sky records for most punt returns in a game and for scoring two return TD's in a single game. Honorable Mention: Reliable Tanner Hancock and speedy Tony Lambert were also excellent.

2 Trumaine Johnson: the best corner back to ever play for the Griz?
Honorable Mention: DB's Tony Breland and Justin Gaines were both All Big Sky in their days. Former Griz coach and fan favourite Shalon Baker also wore the "2" jersey while lighting it up as a receiver.

3 Trey Young: All American, with an unbelievable 22 sacks from the Safety position!
Honorable Mention: Brad Lebo had a couple of great seasons at QB between Grady Bennett and Dave Dickenson.

4 Grady Bennett: This was a tough one. Bennett was Top Five in most passing categories, but number one in interceptions.
Honorable Mention: Jeremy Watkins was a fantastic wide receiver. Erik Stoll and hard hitting Dave Decoite were both All Big Sky at Safety.

5 Matt Wells: One of the all-time greats who ended is career catching two TD's vs Marshall in the teams first National Title.
Honorable Mention: John Edwards who quarterbacked the second Griz team to win a National Title. Wide Receiver Eric Allen was also an All Big Sky performer.

6 Jamal Jones: The Griz all-time leader in receiving yards.
Honorable Mention: Tyler Joyce was a very talented linebacker on some very good Griz teams.

7 Drew Miller: Some have called him the most gifted passer to ever play for the Griz.
Honorable Mention: Craig Ochs was another quarterback who demonstrates the riches Montana has had at that position. Ellis Henderson was an electric receiver whose career was cut short by a number of factors.

8 Samouri Toure: The best statistical season ever by a Montana pass catcher plus you break a Randy Moss national record you get to jump the cue.
Honorable Mention: Four other great receivers have also worn the "8" jersey over the years. Jimmy Farris,Mike Erhardt, Jefferson Heidelberger, and Bill Cockhill.

9 Sean Dorris: An All American at safety in the early 90's gets the nod over 3 other Griz safeties.
Honorable Mention: Jason Miller and Mike McCord were both Second team All-Big Sky and Sean Goicoechea was an excellent as well.

10 Brian Ah Yat: Statistically second only to #15 all time.
Honorable Mention: Jordan Johnson, whose storied career as a Griz quarterback is known by all and Shaun Lebsock from a famous Griz family, at linebacker.

Coming Soon, 11-20

Apologies for the weird underlining and bolding. The program I used didn't format the way I thought. I'll fix it for 11-20

Very fun read and idea. The only thing I’ll add is that it’s great to have you back, Sask.

Really cool idea. Pretty hard to argue with those choices. The only part I might question is I think Grady is a clear cut choice for #4. Other then that, spot on. Now I’ll go check out 11-20😊.

Back