• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Trey Lance

4hlp9w.jpg

Just to clarify before I comment, is this thread started to talk about a football player quitting on his team for his own personal gain?

alabamagrizzly said:
Just to clarify before I comment, is this thread started to talk about a football player quitting on his team for his own personal gain?
The reason NDSU played one game was so that it would count as a second season for him and he could enter the draft. They took the financial loss to enable this. They expect he will make it up to them.

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:
The reason NDSU played one game was so that it would count as a second season for him and he could enter the draft. They took the financial loss to enable this. They expect he will make it up to them.
I assume you are not referring to a quid pro quo to "make it up to them" in any financial way. Pretty sure that would get them in big trouble with the NCAA. However, him being in the discussion for the NFL draft is already worth a great deal to NDSU in terms of publicity, recruiting, etc. If he does get drafted (even in a lower round), that will "make it up" to the Bison in a big, big way.

kemajic said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Why would playing a second season matter for draft eligibility? The rule is three years out of HS is it not?

CDAGRIZ said:
kemajic said:

Why would playing a second season matter for draft eligibility? The rule is three years out of HS is it not?

Yup

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Yup
Redshirt 2018 season, "pretty good" 2019 season ;) , one game for 2020 ... now three years "officially" and good to go for the 2021 draft.

IdaGriz01 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Redshirt 2018 season, "pretty good" 2019 season ;) , one game for 2020 ... now three years "officially" and good to go for the 2021 draft.

I guess my point is the Rule is that you merely need to be three years removed from HS (as long as you played some CFB), or four years removed from HS if you never played CFB.

Having trouble seeing why/how the one game was necessary to "make it official".

https://www.sportsrec.com/ncaa-redshirt-rules-baseball-6734902.html

Looking at some of the high draft picks NFL teams have placed on QBs over the last few years it is such a crap shoot. Mahomes, Lamar Jackson and Josh Allen have all sparked their franchises and then you have Trubinsky, Josh Rosen, Darnold who have struggled big time. With only one year at the FCS level and playing on a team that was way better than all their opponents in every aspect of the game it has to make NFL executives a little nervous. I'm cheering for him and hope he does well.

Anybody have an update on whether Lance had to play in that game and "make it official" to become Draft eligible?

CDAGRIZ said:
Anybody have an update on whether Lance had to play in that game and "make it official" to become Draft eligible?

Something about having to use a year of eligibility if you’ve already started it.
I know. Still doesn’t mean he “had to play”.

DuCharme said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Something about having to use a year of eligibility if you’ve already started it.
I know. Still doesn’t mean he “had to play”.

Interesting, thx. I don’t think the team had to play that game at all under the rule as I read it.

I hope it works out for him, but I think it will be a bit before he plays like where he gets drafted. Steep learning curve, thunderbuffs or not.

Back