• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

NDSU in dogfight

My son told me that the NDSU QB, with 11 minutes to go in game, was 11-25 passing for 93 yards, with 1 TD and 1 pick.

Lance finished 15-30 for 149 yards, with 2 TD's and 1 interception. The longs for his receivers were 15, 21, 23, 16.

Ran for 143 with 15 carries, for 2 TD's, and a long of 54.

39-28, NDSU, final.

PlayerRep said:
Lance finished 15-30 for 149 yards, with 2 TD's and 1 interception. The longs for his receivers were 15, 21, 23, 16.

Ran for 143 with 15 carries, for 2 TD's, and a long of 54.

39-28, NDSU, final.
And lost a fumble.

...and probably a millionaire today.

Saw his story on College Game Day. Good guy - good family - will be a first round pick.

SoldierGriz said:
...and probably a millionaire today.

Saw his story on College Game Day. Good guy - good family - will be a first round pick.

And shouldn’t touch a football again until he’s drafted. The guy played himself into this position. No one outside of Fatgo had even heard of the kid a year or so ago. Now he’s a projected 1st rounder and is said to even be right behind Lawrence on a few teams boards. That’s incredible.

Average games like yesterday only hurt. This season is lost. If anyone in this kids circle cares about him they should be encouraging him to thank NDSU, get an agent, train like crazy and prepare for the draft. Another game like yesterday, or especially a game he plays worse, could literally cost millions in the long run.

Game shouldn’t have been played. One team was playing their 4th game. Another team was playing after their 20th fall practice.

Could tell Trey was really pressing. He had some uncharacteristic throws, but he settled in nicely in second half.

Stat line should have been a bit better. He had a beautiful 55 yard pass that Watson dropped in end zone.

I don’t think he did anything to substantially change the conversation one way or another. He’d really benefit by staying in college, from a development perspective, but everyone is one hit away in football from never playing again. If he also stays, he will be playing for two more years (this spring assuming it happens) and fall, so there is a bit more risk.

Personally based on yesterday.....I think he stays.

As much as I don’t like seeing ndsu get more publicity, his staying will be really good for fcs exposure. Especially if he has a successful nfl career. Plus it’ll be nice to knock off another future nfl QB, especially in a natty game😊.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Game shouldn’t have been played. One team was playing their 4th game. Another team was playing after their 20th fall practice.

Could tell Trey was really pressing. He had some uncharacteristic throws, but he settled in nicely in second half.

Stat line should have been a bit better. He had a beautiful 55 yard pass that Watson dropped in end zone.

I don’t think he did anything to substantially change the conversation one way or another. He’d really benefit by staying in college, from a development perspective, but everyone is one hit away in football from never playing again. If he also stays, he will be playing for two more years (this spring assuming it happens) and fall, so there is a bit more risk.

Judging only from his stats (and not seeing the game), I can't imagine the game improved his draft status. I would think it would have hurt his draft status.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Judging only from his stats (and not seeing the game), I can't imagine the game improved his draft status. I would think it would have hurt his draft status.

That game didn’t help his draft status a bit. He had a 107 passer rating, his second worst in career. One scout said he overthrew too many receivers and forced too many balls into coverage. He complimented his running ability but said that he’d have to reign that part of his game back in NFL to avoid injury. He said he just didn’t know at that point if he was the real deal.

PlayerRep said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Didn’t help it. Not sure if it could have. Kind of a situation where he could only hurt himself in the draft.

I personally just think it is a massive stretch to play 1 year of FCS football and leave for the NFL as a redshirt Sophomore. Really unprecedented in the FBS as well.

I think staying is the best course of action for him.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

That game didn’t help his draft status a bit. He had a 107 passer rating, his second worst in career. One scout said he overthrew too many receivers and forced too many balls into coverage. He complimented his running ability but said that he’d have to reign that part of his game back in NFL to avoid injury. He said he just didn’t know at that point if he was the real deal.

You should give this scout's name to Braves, so he can straighten out the scout.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

I read the same thing or something similar. I was curious because I don’t think I’ve ever watched the kid play, and still didn’t yesterday. There must’ve been something really wrong because a top NFL prospect wouldn’t have those stats versus Central Arkansas mere months before the draft. I agree with 2011, here. Kid doesn’t seem ready.

2011BisonAlumni said:
PlayerRep said:

Didn’t help it. Not sure if it could have. Kind of a situation where he could only hurt himself in the draft.

I personally just think it is a massive stretch to play 1 year of FCS football and leave for the NFL as a redshirt Sophomore. Really unprecedented in the FBS as well.

I think staying is the best course of action for him.

Totally agree.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Exactly. If he plays well against this competition he’s supposed to. If he puts up more below average games like yesterday it just becomes a clown car act show that could really hurt his draft status.

ilovethecats said:
HookedonGriz said:

Exactly. If he plays well against this competition he’s supposed to. If he puts up more below average games like yesterday it just becomes a clown car act show that could really hurt his draft status.

:lol: God damnit! Was nodding in agreement and then you dropped the CCAS. Had to explain why I’m laughing into my phone.

Lance is a very good QB, and selfishly I would love to see him move on in hopes that his backup isn't as good and NDSU struggles a bit (yeah, I know it's not terribly likely.)

On the other hand, I don't like to see kids leaving college without a degree, even for the NFL. I hope his parents or coaches can offer him some perspective that he doesn't have at his young age.

Da Boyz Mom said:
Lance is a very good QB, and selfishly I would love to see him move on in hopes that his backup isn't as good and NDSU struggles a bit (yeah, I know it's not terribly likely.)

On the other hand, I don't like to see kids leaving college without a degree, even for the NFL. I hope his parents or coaches can offer him some perspective that he doesn't have at his young age.

Probably the worst case scenario happened yesterday if you are a fan of any FCS team outside of NDSU.

I’d say the odds of him leaving went from 90% to 50/50.

As far as backups go, I think NDSU would be in great hands for this season. Trey narrowly beat out Zeb Noland last year, who was a transfer from Iowa State and had success as a starter there. Unfortunately, he was hurt and had the situation of being on the same team as Brock Purdy, who will be a draft pick this year. Zeb isn’t nearly the athlete Trey is, but he’s a great QB to have as a backup and can really sling it. Would speculate he’d start on the vast majority of FCS teams.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/player/stats/_/id/4035525/zeb-noland

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:

You should give this scout's name to Braves, so he can straighten out the scout.

This is a top-level post :lol:

He is a first round pick right now because that's how QBs in the NFL are valued.

Top 20 pick...a crop ton of guaranteed money.

He will go.

Back