• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beat The Spreads – Oct 2-3

So … who beats the Spreads?

• Campbell at Wake Forest [33.5]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • North Alabama at Liberty [30.5]

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Abilene Christian at Army [30.5]

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Houston Baptist at E. Kentucky [3.0]

• Central Arkansas at NDSU [22]

Votes: 3 33.3%
  • Jacksonville St at Florida St [26.5]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IdaGriz01

Last week, you could hardly go wrong, since the under-dog (so-called) beat the spread in five of the seven games. Along with that, two teams favored by around 10 points … lost.

This week, there are seven games that involve FCS teams (four of them money games). However, Stephen F. Austin is playing a D-II opponent. As noted before, ESPN only posts lines for FBS games … so, I went to actual betting sites for those two. As usual, one choice allowed, but you can change your mind.

Does anyone else find it odd that the betting sites favor NDSU by 22 points? Not that I don’t expect the Bison to win at home … but by over three touchdowns? This will be their first game, while Central Arkansas has played three. The Bears are 2-1, with their only loss being at Alabama-Birmingham (35-45), a strong FBS contender last year.

Haven’t “finalized" my pick yet, but I’ll be taking a hard look at that one.

NDSU > UCA by 30. But i didn’t pick that one....

I went with UNA to cover against Liberty.

AZGrizFan said:
NDSU > UCA by 30. But i didn’t pick that one....

I went with UNA to cover against Liberty.
Not a bad pick. Liberty has blown hot and cold ... winning both games so far, but they've not looked particularly dominant in doing so.

About six hours to game time ... Campbell (Camels) at Wake Forest. Time to get your choice in.

FWIW: To be broadcast on the ACC Network (channel 612 on DirecTV).

Ouch!

Of course, no one picked the matchup, but the Campbell - Wake Forest game got totally out of hand (66-14). Not sure what Wake was trying to prove in running up the score on the Camels, who have generally been able to make a respectable showing against an all-FBS schedule.

Wonder what the Camels did to piss off the "Demon Deacons"?

We didn't watch, but we do have it recorded. Might be interesting to skim through and see what the announcers have to say.

Next "poll" game (North Alabama at Liberty) doesn't start untill 11 o'clock, so there's still time to make some picks.

IdaGriz01 said:
Next "poll" game (North Alabama at Liberty) doesn't start until 11 o'clock, so there's still time to make some picks.
Turns out, Liberty's big line (favored by 30.5) could be a bit shaky. UNA defense and Flame mistakes have kept the score close at the half: Just 7-0 for Liberty. I imagine there's some major league chewing going on in their locker room. Still, the North Alabama offense has been stuffed so far (no running game to speak of). Liberty gets going on offense, they can probably cover.

IdaGriz01 said:
IdaGriz01 said:
Next "poll" game (North Alabama at Liberty) doesn't start until 11 o'clock, so there's still time to make some picks.
Turns out, Liberty's big line (favored by 30.5) could be a bit shaky. UNA defense and Flame mistakes have kept the score close at the half: Just 7-0 for Liberty. I imagine there's some major league chewing going on in their locker room. Still, the North Alabama offense has been stuffed so far (no running game to speak of). Liberty gets going on offense, they can probably cover.
Liberty finally did get going, but not quite enough, and let the Lions score once: Final 28-7. So the Lions beat the line.

Down at Florida State, Jacksonville State got an early pick-6. That's likely to piss off the Seminoles :evil: , so that one could get ugly.

Another interesting lineup, with four of the six favorites failing to cover ... and one outright upset. The top choice – North Alabama at Liberty – was one of the "upsets." Liberty was favored by over 30 at home, but won by "only" three touchdowns. I felt the books were off base to favor our number two choice – NDSU over Central Arkansas – by three touchdowns. The Bison won by 11, but the issue was definitely in doubt into the 4th quarter.

Probably the most fascinating game was Jacksonville State at Florida State. The Gamecocks led that game for an amazing amount of time before they just (basically) ran out of gas.

Latest posts

Back