• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Butte’s Jake Olson Commits!

HookedonGriz

DONOR
Jake is a 6’7 TE with a lot of upside. Held a full ride offer from MSU which had me worried he could end up there (think he got a partial from Griz). Dad played hoops for Griz. Great family and great get

https://twitter.com/Jake_olson42/status/1310755167793340417?s=20

HookedonGriz said:
Jake is a 6’7 TE with a lot of upside. Held a full ride offer from MSU which had me worried he could end up there (think he got a partial from Griz). Dad played hoops for Griz. Great family and great get

How can the Cats offer a full-ride and the Griz only partial? Does he not meet the caliber of player that the Griz need or is there less of a need at TE currently? In my belief, Cats and Griz should have relatively the same caliber of talent. It would be a tough decision for Jake to pass on a full-ride, even though family was probably big Griz (dad) supporters?

GlacierGrizX said:
HookedonGriz said:

How can the Cats offer a full-ride and the Griz only partial? Does he not meet the caliber of player that the Griz need or is there less of a need at TE currently? In my belief, Cats and Griz should have relatively the same caliber of talent. It would be a tough decision for Jake to pass on a full-ride, even though family was probably big Griz (dad) supporters?

I’m not completely positive on all the ins and outs. I know he tweeted that he got a tuition offer to play for the grizzlies and then very shortly after the cats threw a full ride scholarship at him. Seems to be a lot of cat and mouse between Griz and cat offers. Perhaps the cats wanted to try and steal what would be thought of as a legacy Griz here. The Griz have offered a couple of some of the top talent in the state who are juniors and then the cats have offered them five minutes later, so a lot of this becomes gameplay in a way.

As for talent, the Griz do have some incredible TEs on the roster. They have Rensvold who is a junior, Deming who is a junior,, and they have Elwell who is a 3 star sophomore. They are also excited about freshman Erik Barker. Either way, I think Jake is definitely worthy of a D1 scholarship from either school. Pumped he is a Griz!

If I had to bet, Hauck is slapping the feed bag on this kid and he'll be on the OLine before he's done at UM. Big frame to grow into . Skill position athleticism and basketball background. Seems like a Hauck OLine prototype. Wherever he ends up, really happy to land another Butte-Rat especially one with the size and skill of Jake Olson!

StumptownGriz said:
If I had to bet, Hauck is slapping the feed bag on this kid and he'll be on the OLine before he's done at UM. Big frame to grow into . Skill position athleticism and basketball background. Seems like a Hauck OLine prototype. Wherever he ends up, really happy to land another Butte-Rat especially one with the size and skill of Jake Olson!

Good points.

StumptownGriz said:

Olson mentions a talk with the coaches in which they basically told him he would dominate secondaries in the BSC.

DuCharme said:
StumptownGriz said:

Olson mentions a talk with the coaches in which they basically told him he would dominate secondaries in the BSC.

Yep, the Griz want Olson to threaten defenses down field:

The Griz coaches said there’s not a whole lot of big, tall safeties and cornerbacks that will get in my way,” Olson said.

This not another Griz turn a Butte High QB into an Right Tackle situation (Cook).

Just like they haven't turned Red Shirt Soph 6'7" TE Curry into an OL.

Olson will be the tallest player on the field at UM, the defender guarding Olson won't be as tall as these defenders in this pic. Can you say red-zone threat?

Jake-Olson-1.jpg

IntuitiveGriz said:
DuCharme said:

The Griz coaches said there’s not a whole lot of big, tall safeties and cornerbacks that will get in my way,” Olson said.

This not another Griz turn a Butte High QB into an Right Tackle situation (Cook).

Totally different body types except for both are tall. If Olson becomes a red-zone threat TE at 6'7" and fills out to 245-250+ lbs trust me I am ALL for that. Thats an exciting prospect for sure! I just have a gut feeling he'll end up as one hell of an OLineman and he fits the mold that Hauck and Germer love to develop. Can't wait to see Olson develop into a big time player no matter where he is on the field!

Read an article today that said Griz gave him a full scholarship. They must have upped the ante after Cats offered him a full. Glad they did!

HookedonGriz said:
Read an article today that said Griz gave him a full scholarship. They must have upped the ante after Cats offered him a full. Glad they did!

Yeah Hooked, the Griz did up their initial full-tuition offer to a full-ride offer and Jake gladly accepted. Great kid and family, as you know as well.

Missoulian/406 Sports confirms full-ride:

https://406mtsports.com/college/big-sky ... c42e3.html

StumptownGriz said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Totally different body types except for both are tall. If Olson becomes a red-zone threat TE at 6'7" and fills out to 245-250+ lbs trust me I am ALL for that. Thats an exciting prospect for sure! I just have a gut feeling he'll end up as one hell of an OLineman and he fits the mold that Hauck and Germer love to develop. Can't wait to see Olson develop into a big time player no matter where he is on the field!

I hear what you are saying.

Olson is an ATH, he could play many positions for sure.

Right now he plays split-out in the slot, and inside as an in-line TE... which the next natural position would be Tackle.

Wherever he ends up he will be a difference maker, we both agree on that. 👍😎

Speaking of Hauck and Germer developing an undersized but athletic offensive lineman, I wonder how Dillon Botner is coming along.

I hope he has gained more weight than the current roster says:

6-6 / 224

IntuitiveGriz said:
Olson will be the tallest player on the field at UM, the defender guarding Olson won't be as tall as these defenders in this pic. Can you say red-zone threat?

Jake-Olson-1.jpg

This pic is F’n epic! It looks like he’s dunking over the whole damn team. The one kid is getting bonked on the head. Can only assume the last defender is lying under his soles.
Is that Deck?

Olson was just on our local 9 o'clock CBS news as athlete of the week.

Said the Griz are recruiting him as a TE. That he is, "Going to UM to be the best TE I can be, and to kick some butt." 👍

I’m from Butte and have been watching Olson. Last year he was tall and slender but athletic. This year it looks like he has put on weight and is stronger. He has good hands. He could be really good. I knew the Cats were after him so I’m pleased he’s a Griz. His dad was 6’10 and played well his entire career mostly as a forward as I recall. He was a good three point shooter and played a lot as a true freshman.

garizzalies said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Jake-Olson-1.jpg

This pic is F’n epic! It looks like he’s dunking over the whole damn team. The one kid is getting bonked on the head. Can only assume the last defender is lying under his soles.
Is that Deck?

Nice catch on the possible Deck sighting. I didn't see that. Lol. I don't know, but I think it is! 😃

Back