• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Beat the Spreads – Sept 26

So … who beats the spread?

• Campbell at Appalachian State [35.5]

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Florida International at Liberty [6.5]

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • Eastern Kentucky at The Citadel [10.0]

• Houston Bapt. at Louisiana Tech [23.5]

• Stephen F. Austin at SMU [34.5]

• Missouri St. at Central Arkansas [10.5]

• UTEP at UL Monroe [9.5]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

IdaGriz01

There are five games on this coming Saturday that involve FCS teams, three being money games against FBS opponents. Like last week, that didn’t seem like enough choices, so I included a couple of games involving teams we can sort of remember playing at the FCS level.

ESPN doesn’t post lines for FCS-only matchups, so I went to a few actual betting sites. As in previous polls, the home teams are favored by the amounts shown in brackets. So far, those numbers have stayed the same, or varied by no more than ±0.5, between when I first posted and the actual game. As usual, one choice allowed, but you can change your mind.

So far, so good. Four games scheduled for tomorrow have been "postponed." Luckily, none of those are listed on the poll. Spreads are still pretty much the same.

FWIW: If you have the DirecTV Sports Pak, three of the games are now scheduled to be broadcast up on the 700 channels. They include
Florida International at Liberty
Eastern Kentucky at The Citadel
Houston Baptist at Louisiana Tech

Somewhat surprised that no one has picked Houston Baptist to beat the spread against Louisiana Tech. Except for a bad no-call on a two-point conversion, they would have taken Texas Tech into OT. LA Tech looks good, but they struggled in their one game so far this year.

Add: You still have an hour to get your choices in. Campbell at App State starts at 10 o'clock.

IdaGriz01 said:
Somewhat surprised that no one has picked Houston Baptist to beat the spread against Louisiana Tech. Except for a bad no-call on a two-point conversion, they would have taken Texas Tech into OT. LA Tech looks good, but they struggled in their one game so far this year.

Add: You still have an hour to get your choices in. Campbell at App State starts at 10 o'clock.

That’s the one I just picked....with the way they played against Tech, I’d say they’ve got an outside shot (unless Tech really IS that bad....)....

One game decided, and the visitor beat the spread (barely): Appalachian State was favored by 35.5 at home over Campbell. They won, but by "only" 31 points, 52-21.

In games in progress, FIU leads favored Liberty, but that has most of a quarter to go. The other (my pick, BTW) in progress is shaping up to be the big upset. Eastern Kentucky leads The Citadel 30-14, even though Citadel was favored by 10. Even if Cit turned it around by a bunch, they're not likely to beat the spread.

So far, three games in the poll have been completed. Every choice has been correct ... i.e., none of the favorites beat the spread, and two have lost the game. Liberty won its game (36-34) but their spread was 6.5.

Results all in. Of the seven choices, five favorites failed to beat the spread and two actually lost their games. In both of the latter cases, the favorites got thumped. The Citadel (favored by 10) lost 37-14, while UL Monroe (favored by 9.5) lost 31-6.

Probably not much money involved in these low-level games, but I bet #3 Oklahoma and $6 LSU losing at home hurt.

Back