• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New head coach at Jackson State

What an ego...

https://twitter.com/barstoolsports/status/1308057625746169856?s=20

More power to him if he can strengthen the program and school. He was a great player who had a somewhat annoying persona, but if you want your ego stroked and lots of publicity this wouldn't be your first choice. So two thumbs up IMHO. :thumb: :thumb:

Hoops watcher said:
More power to him if he can strengthen the program and school. He was a great player who had a somewhat annoying persona, but if you want your ego stroked and lots of publicity this wouldn't be your first choice. So two thumbs up IMHO. :thumb: :thumb:
Have to agree on both points. He'll get a brief flash with his appointment as a Head Coach, but will need to show some substance down the road. The Wiki about him says he's had a couple of unsuccessful coaching stints at the "academy" and high school level ... but that's it. However, it also says he (finally) graduated with a Bachelor's degree in Business Administration from Talladega College. Talladega is a small, well-regarded HBCU school (it competes at the NAIA level in sports), so you have to give him credit for that.

Does Jackson State have a shot at Shedeur Sanders now? He holds offers from nearly everybody you’d want an offer from.

impressive staff.

Terrell Owens as WR coach
Warren Sap as d-line coach
Dennis Thurman as DC
Jason Phillips as OC
Mario Edwards as DB coach

interesting

bhumble said:
impressive staff.

Terrell Owens as WR coach
Warren Sap as d-line coach
Dennis Thurman as DC
Jason Phillips as OC
Mario Edwards as DB coach

interesting

He is certainly going for the star/celebrity approach. Could be a lot of drama in this group, not sure I am sold. Will be fun to see how this goes...

And, here is the Jackson State coaching staff being discussed on eGriz for the first time in history. The hire seems like a success.

CDAGRIZ said:
And, here is the Jackson State coaching staff being discussed on eGriz for the first time in history. The hire seems like a success.
Plus a long article on ESPN:
https://theundefeated.com/features/...n-one-thing-power-5-schools-cannot-community/

Jackson State has been on ESPN a number of times. And not just about their football games ... but it's mostly been about their band (not the best in HBCU, but a good one), or their compliance issues. Pretty tall order to fix all that. Be interesting to see how it plays out once the glamor wears off.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
https://theundefeated.com/features/...n-one-thing-power-5-schools-cannot-community/

Jackson State has been on ESPN a number of times. And not just about their football games ... but it's mostly been about their band (not the best in HBCU, but a good one), or their compliance issues. Pretty tall order to fix all that. Be interesting to see how it plays out once the glamor wears off.

And a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't pay attention to Jackson State football, will, now, to see what happens.

CDAGRIZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:

And a lot of people who otherwise wouldn't pay attention to Jackson State football, will, now, to see what happens.

Good point, and true.

Wonder who the fastest person in the football program is?

Don't think Jackson St has ever produced a top football player. Over 5' 10".

Jimmy smith 6'1 213 lbs wr. Played in the nfl from 1992-2005 .

Best years were with the jacksonville jaguars, where he was elected to the pro bowl 5 times

jackie slater, h.o.f. offensive lineman who played for the Los Angeles rams I think for 20 years.

PlayerRep said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Good point, and true.

Come on man! I have come to expect better of you, even if you went to Bozeangeles High...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/schools/jacksonst/index.htm

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
Good point, and true.

Come on man! I have come to expect better of you, even if you went to Bozeangeles High...

Come on man, I would expect that you and Braves could ascertain a joke. Ever heard of Walter Payton? Note the reference to 5'10". Jeez, guys. Think before you post.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Guess we will see if the Football team out performs the band! :lol:

You’re surprised Hotdish could not ascertain a joke even after he had to use google to look up the (wrong) answer? And you expect him to think before he posts?!?
Yeah right, FAT chance of that.

garizzalies said:
You’re surprised Hotdish could not ascertain a joke even after he had to use google to look up the (wrong) answer? And you expect him to think before he posts?!?

O.k. dipshit.

What answer did I get wrong. If you knew anything about football you would have heard of jimmy smith along with keenan mccardell and mark brunelle of the jaguars teams from the late 90's or jackie slater regarded as one of the greatest offensive lineman along with Anthony munoz, and Johnathan ogden.

Guess that's a little to much info. For you to process.

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Come on man, I would expect that you and Braves could ascertain a joke. Ever heard of Walter Payton? Note the reference to 5'10". Jeez, guys. Think before you post.

I got your snarky post reference to Sweetness. Just wanted an excuse to post all the ball players drafted out of Jackson State. It's my understanding most of this staff are volunteers. Glad to see it, personally. Still think you need to do likewise in northeast Montana...

braves84 said:
garizzalies said:

O.k. dipshit.

What answer did I get wrong. If you knew anything about football you would have heard of jimmy smith along with keenan mccardell and mark brunelle of the jaguars teams from the late 90's or jackie slater regarded as one of the greatest offensive lineman along with Anthony munoz, and Johnathan ogden.

Guess that's a little to much info. For you to process.

Take it somewhere else, Hotdish. We don’t care for your hostility, nor your circumference. You’ve already been warned twice.

Back