• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Fire Near Bozeman

PlayerRep

Started 2 days ago just above the M. Some great photos out there, including a plane dumping colored retardant just above the M. I don't know how to upload photos.

Yesterday, the fire climbed to the ridge of the Bridgers. Seemed to be going north on the ridge. Then, at about Mt Baldy, went down the ridge to the east to Bridger Canyon very fast.

My sister, on the Bozeman side, was watching and texting our cousins in Bridger Canyon around Jackson Creek. The cousins couldn't even see smoke in the morning from their side. Then, about 2, they saw a house on the west side of Bridger Canyon Rd catch fire. They packed their baby and dog and scooted. Their house apparently burned.

My sister said she got a cell phone warning to evacuate the Jackson Creek area at about 4pm Looks like the fire went away from the M.

"The wildfire burning north of Bozeman blew up Saturday afternoon to 7,000 acres, burning buildings and forcing people from their homes.

Though it seemed calm in the morning, winds between 10 mph and 20 mph and high temperatures fueled major growth on the Bridger Foothills fire. In the early evening, it jumped over Bridger Canyon Road.

“Today and tomorrow are going to be our real tough days,” said Corey Lewellen, Bozeman district ranger for the Forest Service.

The fire started on the west side of the Bridger Mountains north of the “M” trail Friday afternoon. The cause is still under investigation.

It crested the ridge quickly and had grown to more than 400 acres by Saturday morning.

Saturday morning, it appeared to have slowed down on the western and eastern side of the range. Helicopters took turns lowering buckets suspended from cables into a pond near Bridger Creek. After each load, they whizzed up the canyon walls toward Baldy Mountain, where flames licked blackened trees and puffs of smoke drifted upward.

“Safety is our number one concern. We’re doing everything we can for structures,” said Peggy Olliff, a fire spokesperson, at noon. “We’re being very aggressive with this fire.”

Four helicopters, four smokejumpers, four single-engine air tankers and two very large air tankers (VLATs) were stationed primarily on the eastern side of the Bridgers at around noon. A hotshot crew, one Type 2 hand crew and additional crews and dozers were also responding to the fire."

https://www.bozemandailychronicle.com/news/winds-high-temps-blow-bridger-foothills-fire-to-7-000-acres-evacuations-ordered/article_c0b63d24-5519-5e22-9db2-b71b97342e1a.html

The heavy smoke here 100 miles to the east smells like it's right next door. Hoping for a good rain with the cooler weather tomorrow. The conditions couldn't have been better for fires last week.

...three things about forrest fires...
...normal..needed..necessary...
...build a house..be aware...

... :coffee: ...

A subdivision on mountain side of Bridger canyon road had huge damage. Many houses apparently toast. My cousin’s house has only the chimney standing.

Fire continued to rage today, but maybe not as much as yesterday.

There is planning to try to stop it at Bridger Bowl, in part because of the open areas of ski runs.

Some rain and perhaps snow tomorrow.

My guess is that this was a man made fire.

Bridger canyon fire station burned too.

Cody Kirk was at our lake house yesterday. Greg Gianforte too. This is for insecure posters like Mouse.

PlayerRep said:
A subdivision on mountain side of Bridger canyon road had huge damage. Many houses apparently toast. My cousin’s house has only the chimney standing.

There is planning to try to stop it at Bridger Bowl, in part because of the open areas of ski runs.

Cody Kirk was at our lake house yesterday. Greg Gianforte too. This is for insecure posters like Mouse.
I live in the base of Bridger Canyon. It's been a crazy couple nights just watching the mountain burn. Smoke so thick we had to wash all of our clothes because even with everything shut it's like a campfire in the house. We are very lucky. My kids have three classmates that we know of that lost everything. I can't imagine.

PR you go to the wedding then? That Greg went to? That guy is a monster tool. Even more so than some posters on this board.... :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

I live in the base of Bridger Canyon. It's been a crazy couple nights just watching the mountain burn. Smoke so thick we had to wash all of our clothes because even with everything shut it's like a campfire in the house. We are very lucky. My kids have three classmates that we know of that lost everything. I can't imagine.

PR you go to the wedding then? That Greg went to? That guy is a monster tool. Even more so than some posters on this board.... :thumb:

Where exactly do you live? Before Canyon or in Canyon? What’s the subdivision just in Canyon in mountain side?

Nope on wedding. Don’t know whose wedding it was. That was in whitefish on Friday night. Greg and Susan just had a few extra hours on Sat to hang out, so came over to relax. Swim. A lake neighbor friend from Bozeman invited Cody Kirk and his very nice heptathlon wife.

PlayerRep said:
ilovethecats said:

Where exactly do you live? Before Canyon or in Canyon? What’s the subdivision just in Canyon in mountain side?

Nope on wedding. Don’t know whose wedding it was. That was in whitefish on Friday night. Greg and Susan just had a few extra hours on Sat to hang out, so came over to relax. Swim. A lake neighbor friend from Bozeman invited Cody Kirk and his very nice heptathlon wife.
There's Teepee Ridge subdivision that is really nice. That one is closer to Jackson Creek. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of.

I live just before the canyon before you get to the turnoff for the M and Drinking Horse trails. We're very fortunate down here. Just dealing with smoke is all. Got cold weather today and it just started raining about a half an hour ago so hopefully that keeps up.

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

There's Teepee Ridge subdivision that is really nice. That one is closer to Jackson Creek. Not sure if that's the one you're thinking of.

I live just before the canyon before you get to the turnoff for the M and Drinking Horse trails. We're very fortunate down here. Just dealing with smoke is all. Got cold weather today and it just started raining about a half an hour ago so hopefully that keeps up.

Different subdivision, lower in the Canyon. Don't know name. Heard its snowing your way.

Came within 100 yards of my parents’ house, but fortunately stopped at the road. Neighbors weren’t so lucky; I know a few people in the Canyon that lost everything. Was working on the State Creek Fire by Whitehall and out of service for the past few days...was quite alarmed when I was finally able to check my phone.

ilovethecats said:
PlayerRep said:

Stay safe, man. Scary stuff.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

Appreciate it! All good on my end. We're fortunate. Many others not near as lucky obviously.

Smoke was brutal on Saturday. Led to a bloody nose which for me was the worst of it. Pretty blessed.

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Appreciate it! All good on my end. We're fortunate. Many others not near as lucky obviously.

Smoke was brutal on Saturday. Led to a bloody nose which for me was the worst of it. Pretty blessed.

Good to hear. We're also dealing with some smoke and ash because someone about two hours inland decided to start a fire during a gender reveal party (which I didn't even know was a thing until yesterday). Looking out my office window, and it looks like war-torn Bosnia out there.

CDAGRIZ said:
ilovethecats said:

Good to hear. We're also dealing with some smoke and ash because someone about two hours inland decided to start a fire during a gender reveal party (which I didn't even know was a thing until yesterday). Looking out my office window, and it looks like war-torn Bosnia out there.
Or Kenosha?

Latest posts

Back