• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Latest on spring FCS playoffs...

Brother Bear

https://twitter.com/RossDellenger/status/1300532294197956610

The DI FB Championship Committee is recommending that the FCS Playoffs run from April 18-May 15, 2021 and reduce the championship bracket from 24 teams to 16, including 10 AQs and six at-large selections. The FB Oversight Committee will consider the recommendation later this week.

The Big Sky Conference will then look to set the spring schedule after the playoff/Championship dates are set. Looks like we will see some Big Sky Conference football games in February. Usually in Montana the weather gets colder the later into the season you go... this upcoming season it will start to get warmer the later you play in the season. Strange times. ;)

I’m actually ok with this timeline and the playoff format. You’re looking at about a 3.5 month offseason if you make the championship game, and it’s back to the old 16 team format which will work for spring. You’d be looking at a Feb 27 start date or Feb 20 if the big sky decides to give everyone a bye week. I think I can readjust my ski schedule to Sunday’s only. Go hard in January :lol:. It’ll be brutal those first couple of home, but it’ll get better the further the season goes along. Overall I’m fine with it though.

The only issue I have is how will this affect our kids with pro aspirations. The combine will be held late feb/early mar along with UM’s pro day towards the end of mar and the draft at the end of April. I wonder how all that’s gonna work out.

I’m surprised the playoffs aren’t pushed until May as a start date. If the big sky holds an 8 game conference schedule, playing in February could be brutal in Missoula, Bozeman, and Cheney among others...

marceagfan5 said:
I’m surprised the playoffs aren’t pushed until May as a start date. If the big sky holds an 8 game conference schedule, playing in February could be brutal in Missoula, Bozeman, and Cheney among others...
Sort of like it could be brutal in late November and December.

kemajic said:
marceagfan5 said:
Sort of like it could be brutal in late November and December.

Think December is actually the coldest month on average in MT.

Playoffs? What about the teams that are playing now in the FCS? Do they wait to compete in the spring playoffs? How is a National Champion crowned with not all conferences being represented? I am confused....

It will be interesting to see how the NCAA / committee handles the disparity of games played prior to playoffs.

For example, Central Arkansas currently has 8 non-conference games scheduled this fall, plus (theoretically) 8 or 9 Southland conference games in the spring. So they could play up to 17 football games prior to playoffs.

Compared to some auto-qualifiers who may only play 6 games in the spring, prior to playoffs.

reinell30 said:
Playoffs? What about the teams that are playing now in the FCS? Do they wait to compete in the spring playoffs? How is a National Champion crowned with not all conferences being represented? I am confused....

Pretty sure the format proposal is 16 teams, the 10 conference AQ and 6 at-large, so it seems that the intent is for all conferences to be represented.

HelenaHandBasket said:
reinell30 said:

Pretty sure the format proposal is 16 teams, the 10 conference AQ and 6 at-large, so it seems that the intent is for all conferences to be represented.

NDSU for example is playing this fall. Do they finish the season in November like normal and wait to play in the playoffs? Or do, they also play a spring schedule, then go to playoffs and then play a fall schedule in 2021?

JDoub said:
It will be interesting to see how the NCAA / committee handles the disparity of games played prior to playoffs.

For example, Central Arkansas currently has 8 non-conference games scheduled this fall, plus (theoretically) 8 or 9 Southland conference games in the spring. So they could play up to 17 football games prior to playoffs.

Compared to some auto-qualifiers who may only play 6 games in the spring, prior to playoffs.
Central Arkansas said they’re not playing in the spring.

reinell30 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

NDSU for example is playing this fall. Do they finish the season in November like normal and wait to play in the playoffs? Or do, they also play a spring schedule, then go to playoffs and then play a fall schedule in 2021?

I believe NDSU is planning to play a full conference schedule in the Spring with the rest of the MVC. And currently, the 2021 season is slated to begin as normal.

JDoub said:

Pretty sure that a school can still only play an 11 games schedule total even if split between Fall/Spring.

HelenaHandBasket said:
reinell30 said:

I believe NDSU is planning to play a full conference schedule in the Spring with the rest of the MVC. And currently, the 2021 season is slated to begin as normal.

Maybe; guess we’ll see. NoDunk is a hot spot recently, I believe possibly #2 in the country.
North Dakota has now surpassed its neighbor to the south, with 32.9 daily new cases per 100,000 people, placing it firmly in the red on the HGHI map. North Dakota is currently experiencing its worst COVID spike since the pandemic began. Its positive test rate has skyrocketed accordingly: Johns Hopkins now puts it at 20.1 percent. Overall, there have been 11,820 coronavirus cases in North Dakota, with just under 150 deaths.
I wouldn’t visit that shithole anyway, but good god, why would anybody now?

garizzalies said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Maybe; guess we’ll see. NoDunk is a hot spot recently, I believe possibly #2 in the country.
North Dakota has now surpassed its neighbor to the south, with 32.9 daily new cases per 100,000 people, placing it firmly in the red on the HGHI map. North Dakota is currently experiencing its worst COVID spike since the pandemic began. Its positive test rate has skyrocketed accordingly: Johns Hopkins now puts it at 20.1 percent. Overall, there have been 11,820 coronavirus cases in North Dakota, with just under 150 deaths.
Oh, i dont know j/a why is Fargo and BIsmarck consistently in the top places to live.

Never fail to prove how consistently wrong you are.

reinell30 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Da Bizon are only playing one fall game and plan on playing a normal schedule this spring. Although I’m 90% convinced there won’t be a spring football season.

braves84 said:
garizzalies said:
Oh, i dont know j/a why is Fargo and BIsmarck consistently in the top places to live.
:shock: :lol:

ilovethecats said:
braves84 said:
:shock: :lol:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/111367056&ved=2ahUKEwiF5cmyp8vrAhXMB80KHTVvDrEQFjALegQIBBAB&usg=AOvVaw2IeN-9MB2ddR7_V8wCvD1g&ampcf=1

I know facts are a funny thing sometimes, isn't it?

Back