• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2001 National Championship

MissoulaMarinerFan

2001 Chipper is up on YouTube if you’re looking for some time to kill. The user “WallytheBronco” who uploaded this game has multiple FCS and FBS games on his channel / playlist.

https://youtu.be/2ByR2BrG3Bs

Montana in 2001 chipper: Offense - screen, screen, screen, Yo, Yo, Yo, Yo, Etu, Johnny Montana scramble, screen, screen, screen; Defense - stuff the run, stuff the run, blitz, blitz blitz.

And Vince could have had 4 interceptions in that game -- he dropped one right in his hands, had one and was run into by Coleman, correctly batted down the game ender (right to the Furman kid, unfortunately), and actually had one that he nearly took to the house.

Overall, I'll take the 2019 Montana offense over the 2001 version, but that 2001 defense was nails.

CrunchGriz said:
Montana in 2001 chipper: Offense - screen, screen, screen, Yo, Yo, Yo, Yo, Etu, Johnny Montana scramble, screen, screen, screen; Defense - stuff the run, stuff the run, blitz, blitz blitz.

And Vince could have had 4 interceptions in that game -- he dropped one right in his hands, had one and was run into by Coleman, correctly batted down the game ender (right to the Furman kid, unfortunately), and actually had one that he nearly took to the house.

Overall, I'll take the 2019 Montana offense over the 2001 version, but that 2001 defense was nails.
Other than the hail Mary on the final play, Furman had no answer to that defense. Dominant. With that defense you don't need a wild offense. Yo was the real deal behind excellent blocking.

Was at that game and there were some unruly Furman fans taunting us Griz who had a Furman helmet, so I placed a little wager with them and they ended up ponying up the helmet over to me. There was a RS Freshman by the name of Shane McIntyre who wore that helmet for a good part of the night well into the celebration. He may still have the helmet.

Fun fact about that Furman team is that the lead singer of Needtobreathe was on that team, Bear Rhinehart. Needtobreathe has been my favorite band since 2009 and have played in Montana four times and are a great live show if you ever have a chance to catch them live I strongly recommend it.

Back