• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

“Caught in the middle”: Coaches are at higher risk in pandemic but not opting out

PlayerRep

“Caught in the middle”: Coaches are at higher risk in pandemic but not opting out
Without a union to protect them, football coaches -- to date, at least nine in the NFL have tested positive for COVID-19 -- are among those taking health gambles by participating in the 2020 season."

"Stoutland is one of the many coaches considered high risk as a result of age or underlying health conditions to become seriously ill should they contract the coronavirus. They are among those taking the greatest health gambles by participating in the 2020 football season amid a pandemic, but Stoutland didn't relay much concern over returning to the workplace during a videoconference in late July, his confidence bolstered by the protocols in place at the Eagles' facility.

"Coming through the front door, going through the gate, getting tested each morning, I've got to tell you, I've never felt more safe in my life," Stoutland said, pulling down his mask to address the media virtually from an otherwise empty room. "I told my wife that. I told my kids that. For every little detail that's going on right now -- [sanitizing] the door handles, everything that I notice -- I'm like, 'Oh my goodness, they think of everything to keep us safe.'"

The same week Stoutland made those comments, the virus slipped past those safeguards and found its way into Philadelphia's NovaCare Complex, carried unknowingly by head coach Doug Pederson, who tested negative multiple times following initial exposure outside the building before a positive test developed. Pederson was sent home, as was quarterback coach and pass-game coordinator Press Taylor, because he had been in close contact with Pederson.

To date, at least nine NFL coaches have tested positive for COVID-19, according to a source familiar with the situation.
Eight of those cases have occurred since June 17.

There are 102 team staffers across the league with known positives since June. That is compared to 107 players this offseason -- 64 which have occurred since reporting for training camp -- who have tested positive for COVID-19."

Read in ESPN: https://apple.news/A34JcEcWZQlCh0DoKHiIyWQ

...most coaches and players would be fine...most are healthy..my understanding.the average death rate for the virus is about
78 years according to CDC..which happens to be the average death rate age in our country...basically they were going to die of
something if it wasn't Covid.. millions of dollars will be lost not having football in the fall...will these programs recover?

grizghost said:
...most coaches and players would be fine...most are healthy..my understanding.the average death rate for the virus is about
78 years according to CDC..which happens to be the average death rate age in our country...basically they were going to die of
something if it wasn't Covid.. millions of dollars will be lost not having football in the fall...will these programs recover?

Careful here, you are showing off your critical thinking skills. Several posters will be offended.

Why is something so blatantly obvious so difficult for so many to see.

BillingsMafia said:
grizghost said:

Careful here, you are showing off your critical thinking skills. Several posters will be offended.

Thinking and analysis are out. It's all about cliches.

"COVID-19 might have turned us all into epidemiologists, supply chain experts and—in the last few days—oil analysts, but another development that’s perhaps just as frustrating, though admittedly not as damaging, is that it’s supercharged the use of lazy clichés."

Listen to the scientists. If just one life can be saved, .... Prove we are all together, wear a mask. The new normal will be .... Listen to the players.

BillingsMafia said:
grizghost said:

wow, he predicted that we are all going to die someday, anyway? What a stellar use of critical thinking skills!

argh! said:
BillingsMafia said:

wow, he predicted that we are all going to die someday, anyway? What a stellar use of critical thinking skills!

Ok..smart ass!

PlayerRep said:
BillingsMafia said:

"COVID-19 might have turned us all into epidemiologists, supply chain experts and—in the last few days—oil analysts, but another development that’s perhaps just as frustrating, though admittedly not as damaging, is that it’s supercharged the use of lazy clichés."

Listen to the scientists. If just one life can be saved, .... Prove we are all together, wear a mask. The new normal will be .... Listen to the players.

170,000 deaths and growing......because of people like you guys.....you know....morons.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

170,000 deaths and growing......because of people like you guys.....you know....morons.

grizghost said:

3.3 millions of Americans die each year ...1.35 million die of car wreaks alone...are you still driving?
It’s ok, old people are just throw always because they’re going to die anyway.

grizghost said:
Spanky2 said:
Ghost, you better check your numbers on car wreck deaths.

....yes sorry World wide...37k in America ...

But unlike car crashes that will continue killing 40,000 year after year after year, the virus will go away. But that doesn’t matter. Corona deaths are all we should concern ourselves with.... :cool:

ilovethecats said:
grizghost said:

But unlike car crashes that will continue killing 40,000 year after year after year, the virus will go away. But that doesn’t matter. Corona deaths are all we should concern ourselves with.... :cool:

Well, yes since we are in a pandemic headed for possibly 200,000 deaths this year.

grizghost said:
Spanky2 said:
Ghost, you better check your numbers on car wreck deaths.

...my point was dying is a natural progression of life ...some are tragic..some are natural ..death has
plague man since the beginning of time..we can't stop it..I would call it a pandemic if the overwhelming
were below 50 ....but most are over 75 years old..78 is the average age expectancy (according to CDC)...
should the old be protected 'Absolutely'..but not at the expense of ruining a economy that the younger people
need to survive..

So your view is don’t be concerned about the virus as old people are waiting to die and the economy should be maintained for young people. Makes perfect sense.

grizghost said:
grizghost said:

...my point was dying is a natural progression of life ...some are tragic..some are natural ..death has
plague man since the beginning of time..we can't stop it..I would call it a pandemic if the overwhelming
were below 50 ....but most are over 75 years old..78 is the average age expectancy (according to CDC)...
should the old be protected 'Absolutely'..but not at the expense of ruining a economy that the younger people
need to survive..

like I said...ya know...morons

Spanky2 said:
So your view is don’t be concerned about the virus as old people are waiting to die and the economy should be maintained for young people. Makes perfect sense.

People at risk should stay home. Period.

Everyone else should avoid people at risk and get on with their lives.

Personal responsibility and some freakin grit is what we need. And a vaccine. And this table lamp. That's it. Except for the ashtray, which we also need.

SoldierGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

Personal responsibility and some freakin grit is what we need. And a vaccine. And this table lamp. That's it. Except for the ashtray, which we also need.
Don't forget the thermos...

SoldierGriz said:
Spanky2 said:

:D :thumb:

Back