• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Issues Coming for College Football

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/pac-12-players-covid-19-statement-football-season

kemajic said:
Not our father's NCAA anymore - or ours.

https://tinyurl.com/y6d75et6

...not surprised! ...College's will have to make $ donations to social justice programs next! Genie is out of
the bottle!

If players are able to “opt out” if their demands are not met, are the school able to “opt out” of paying scholarships?

Since when is a job that pays you $30,000 to $50,000 grand a year exploiting you? Guess I need to start making demands to my employer too. I’m sure it’ll go over well. I’m definitely one of the most sympathetic white persons I know towards the BLM movement but this one is very hard to swallow.

alabamagrizzly said:
Since when is a job that pays you $30,000 to $50,000 grand a year exploiting you? Guess I need to start making demands to my employer too. I’m sure it’ll go over well. I’m definitely one of the most sympathetic white persons I know towards the BLM movement but this one is very hard to swallow.

When those “jobs” are making billions every year on your talents and likeness.

I don’t know what you do, but if you’re making $30,000 a year but your boss is making hundreds of millions solely on what you bring to the table, I most certainly would talk to them about getting better compensated. Doesn’t mean they will, but it sure as hell wouldn’t be crazy to think you deserve a little bit bigger piece of the pie.

ilovethecats said:
alabamagrizzly said:

I don’t know what you do, but if you’re making $30,000 a year but your boss is making hundreds of millions solely on what you bring to the table, I most certainly would talk to them about getting better compensated. Doesn’t mean they will, but it sure as hell wouldn’t be crazy to think you deserve a little bit bigger piece of the pie.

.....the program doesn't make ANTHING unless the FANS support the program...if the fans feel these sports
are getting to politized and activism is taking over...bye bye...demands mean nothing...talent means nothing!
...boss takes the hit and employer has no job!

Genie out of bottle, pandora has the box wide open.

Will other schools follow suit w wazzu?

NCAA certainly got a big plate of issues, Covid response only one of em.

first11 said:
Genie out of bottle, pandora has the box wide open.

Will other schools follow suit w wazzu?

NCAA certainly got a big plate of issues, Covid response only one of em.
And incapable at all of them.

ilovethecats said:
There's a lot of hyperbole here, but this pushes even those bounds. To support your claim, how about you produce a list of college football programs that show billions in profits.

What’s the over/under as to how long before Wazzu backs off these actions? They will get actively shamed and harassed until they do.

Good for Wazzu; play the kids that want to play and let the others pack the portal. Booster/donors are not going to be held hostage by BLM, irrespective of what left universities want to do.

kemajic said:
Good for Wazzu; play the kids that want to play and let the others pack the portal. Booster/donors are not going to be held hostage by BLM, irrespective of what left universities want to do.

I hope to God, for the sake of college athletics, that you’re right Kem.

grizcountry420 said:
grizfnz said:
If players are able to “opt out” if their demands are not met, are the school able to “opt out” of paying scholarships?

Washington State already releasing players from the team. They terminated their scholarship.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcspor...ll-releasing-players-support-pac-12-movement/

They jumped the gun on that story. The Kid wanted to opt out of the season for health reasons and Covid -19 but still wanted to practice. Coach said no problem opting out but that also means no being around team practices and facilities either. However the bad press will hurt their recruiting for years.

kemajic said:
ilovethecats said:
There's a lot of hyperbole here, but this pushes even those bounds. To support your claim, how about you produce a list of college football programs that show billions in profits.
Only hyperbole was in response to calling college athletics jobs.

The NCAA makes billions every year. Big conferences bake hundreds of millions. Great universities make tens of millions.

I have no problem what these kids are doing. It’s a risk though. Doubt all their demands get met. But they should have a voice.

It’s absolutely ridiculous that these kids can’t have other “jobs”, or make any extra money on their likeness. It’s absurd. Comparing them playing a sport and us having jobs is also out of touch. It’s not the same.

To be clear I’m not on board with every demand in the link above. I do think these kids make a ton of money for their schools so it’s not far fetched to let them have a voice and the chips fall where they may

No one is twisting arms to play football. If these kids feel it’s unfair they have the option to leave the program. Granted they might have to take out student loans and pay them back just like almost every kid that goes to college not on scholarship has too!

What funny is these kids are born with a physical gift and talent. Some are lucky to benefit from it and get scholarships. The real lucky one play in the pros and make hundreds of thousands if not millions per year. But that’s okay...

They need to realize, no fans support, no big time pay day.

So you go ahead and leave the program. I can guarantee your there is another kid willing ready and able to take your place!

OrgonGriz said:
No one is twisting arms to play football. If these kids feel it’s unfair they have the option to leave the program. Granted they might have to take out student loans and pay them back just like almost every kid that goes to college not on scholarship has too!

What funny is these kids are born with a physical gift and talent. Some are lucky to benefit from it and get scholarships. The real lucky one play in the pros and make hundreds of thousands if not millions per year. But that’s okay...

So you go ahead and leave the program. I can guarantee your there is another kid willing ready and able to take your place!

Yes but nothing ever gets fixed with this mentality. If you don’t like it just leave. What does that accomplish? Do you really think the NCAA is perfect? You don’t think there are things we could change to benefit student athletes? You think it’s ok that schools and outside companies can make tons of money selling hats, jerseys, memorabilia, video games, pictures, cards, autographs etc. and the actual players aren’t allowed compensation?

Do you think it’s a bad thing that players are starting to speak up about racial injustices and otherwise? The fact that they got that Iowa strength coach fired after years of improper treatment of players? I don’t know how any of that is bad. Should those kids have just left the program if they didn’t like the treatment? Or were they ok to speak up?

ilovethecats said:
OrgonGriz said:

Yes but nothing ever gets fixed with this mentality. If you don’t like it just leave. What does that accomplish? Do you really think the NCAA is perfect? You don’t think there are things we could change to benefit student athletes? You think it’s ok that schools and outside companies can make tons of money selling hats, jerseys, memorabilia, video games, pictures, cards, autographs etc. and the actual players aren’t allowed compensation?

Do you think it’s a bad thing that players are starting to speak up about racial injustices and otherwise? The fact that they got that Iowa strength coach fired after years of improper treatment of players? I don’t know how any of that is bad. Should those kids have just left the program if they didn’t like the treatment? Or were they ok to speak up?

Cats,
Do you think college athletes have it worse than other kids attending college? It’s there choice to play sports and they benefit from it in some fashion and in general are treated much better than your average student. As a whole.
Look factory workers at GM and Ford get paid pretty well. But just because an SUV sell for 60k and thousands sell per year that doesn’t mean the people building the cars are being exploited. If they don’t like the job they can look for a different one they feel treats them better.
To me it just seems some want everything for nothing.

ilovethecats said:
OrgonGriz said:

Please watch Fast Times At Ridgemont High to see the difference between players' time and coaches time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6J8__fWphE0

Back