• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

EWU just lost $750,000.00

Has there been an official ruling on whether or not schools can cancel without penalty?

wbtfg said:
Has there been an official ruling on whether or not schools can cancel without penalty?

Here is what the EWU AD said today.

Brenna Greene @BrennaGreene_
1h
Here's Lynn talking about the Florida game. She doesn't say outright that they'd lose $750k, but it doesn't sound hopeful. The Idaho-WSU contract said that the contract was void if an extraordinary circumstance forced cancellation. Would imagine this is a similar situation.

grizindabox said:
wbtfg said:

1h
Here's Lynn talking about the Florida game. She doesn't say outright that they'd lose $750k, but it doesn't sound hopeful. The Idaho-WSU contract said that the contract was void if an extraordinary circumstance forced cancellation. Would imagine this is a similar situation.

How is it an "extraordinary circumstance" if WSU plays a conference schedule?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

1h

My guess, they will argue that it forced back the season start date which didn't allow for the OOC games to be played early in the season and there would not be anyway to reschedule those games at a later date.

And as for the SEC:

Ryan Collingwood @sr_collingwood
54m
So about that $750,000 EWU was set to receive for facing Florida...

According to Sports Illustrated which cited SEC administrators, a change in "league scheduling format" could free an SEC team from its contractual responsibility from cancelled nonconference games.

wbtfg said:
It likely depends on the specific wording in each contract, rather than a sweeping NCAA decision.

Paytonlives said:
Florida game cancelled... will they play in a future year?

This was a gift from Mcelwain when he was there...bummer for EWU.

Not sure the FCS will have 25 teams to make a top 25 at this rate...and that’s a big IF they play (which I think is very doubtful)

grizindabox said:
PlayerRep said:

My guess, they will argue that it forced back the season start date which didn't allow for the OOC games to be played early in the season and there would not be anyway to reschedule those games at a later date.

And as for the SEC:

54m

According to Sports Illustrated which cited SEC administrators, a change in "league scheduling format" could free an SEC team from its contractual responsibility from cancelled nonconference games.

I call BS to the SEC comment.

Perhaps on the start date argument. But if other comparable schools play early, I call BS on that argument.

grizband said:
wbtfg said:
It likely depends on the specific wording in each contract, rather than a sweeping NCAA decision.

I agree. I thought you played in the band. What gives on the legal comment?

PlayerRep said:
grizindabox said:

And as for the SEC:

54m

I call BS to the SEC comment.

Perhaps on the start date argument. But if other comparable schools play early, I call BS on that argument.

Maybe, but what would be a comparable school to Cal-Berkley that is in a comparable state with comparable COVID restrictions in the ACC, which may start a little earlier, but also cancelled all OOC games?

There is a little detail here that some of us have been missing. These P5 schools did not and are not cancelling any contracted games. Thier conterences have set an emergency rule and that is not within an individual schools control. These schools are not liable for anything. I believe that is why it was done this way in the first place. The schools are off the hook for any and all of those contracts. Some of these schools may choose to renegotiate a contract for a future date, but I don't think it would be legally required. EWU is out the money and game.

oldrunner said:
There is a little detail here that some of us have been missing. These P5 schools did not and are not cancelling any contracted games. Thier conterences have set an emergency rule and that is not within an individual schools control. These schools are not liable for anything. I believe that is why it was done this way in the first place. The schools are off the hook for any and all of those contracts. Some of these schools may choose to renegotiate a contract for a future date, but I don't think it would be legally required. EWU is out the money and game.

It will depend on why the P5 conference made the decision, and whether there is a solid basis for the decision. If there is litigation, which I doubt, then it would be interesting to see what the emails said.

Why say conference only? Why not say the season won't start until X date, due to the covid?

PlayerRep said:
Why say conference only? Why not say the season won't start until X date, due to the covid?

Primarily because they only have so many weeks to get the games in prior to Bowl Season.

PlayerRep said:
grizband said:

I agree. I thought you played in the band. What gives on the legal comment?
Played in the band when I attended UM, from 2000-2004. Seemed like a simple contract issue I guess, since most (all?) include clauses by which both parties can sever the agreement.Don't worry, I'll leave the legal analysis to you , and GrizLaw. :thumb:

PlayerRep said:
oldrunner said:

It will depend on why the P5 conference made the decision, and whether there is a solid basis for the decision. If there is litigation, which I doubt, then it would be interesting to see what the emails said.

According to this article, Florida's 3 contracts state that the payment can be voided by decision from a "prohibitory body," which includes the SEC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/07/30/sec-football-schedule-shift-millions-guaranteed-payments-limbo/5551018002/

I highly doubt any non conference game that was canceled will be held responsible for payment. Certainly not full payment.
Besides in EWU case do they have the extra $$ to have a lawyer fight this kind of battle to more than likely loose? So not only loose out on $750k but then tag on even more $$$ for attorney fees. I guess EWU could have a lawyer on staff?
ALL colleges are short on funds right now. I am sure Florida would fight tooth and nail and surely has deeper pockets to fight it.

I still think this entire mess should trigger wide sweeping changes in conference alignments for a more regional approach, break off the power 5 and combine upper FCS and Group of 5 schools with an FCS type playoff system.

I think only major bowls will remain that are associated to Power 5 for there “playoff”. I would suspect that some marginal companies that sponsored Bowl games might look to not put funds out there for that.

Well unless, companies that have boomed during the pandemic decide to take over other bowls.
Amazon Bowl
Lysol Bowl
Brawny Paper Towels Bowl
Clorox Bowl
X Toilet Paper Brand Bowl!

Honestly, I will just be thrilled to even see a college football game this year! Fingers crossed that can happen and happen safely for all.

grizband said:
PlayerRep said:

According to this article, Florida's 3 contracts state that the payment can be voided by decision from a "prohibitory body," which includes the SEC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2020/07/30/sec-football-schedule-shift-millions-guaranteed-payments-limbo/5551018002/

This clause, combined with the recent SEC decision, looks legit and should terminate those contracts. Good work, Band.

OrgonGriz said:
I highly doubt any non conference game that was canceled will be held responsible for payment. Certainly not full payment.
Besides in EWU case do they have the extra $$ to have a lawyer fight this kind of battle to more than likely loose? So not only loose out on $750k but then tag on even more $$$ for attorney fees. I guess EWU could have a lawyer on staff?
ALL colleges are short on funds right now. I am sure Florida would fight tooth and nail and surely has deeper pockets to fight it.

I still think this entire mess should trigger wide sweeping changes in conference alignments for a more regional approach, break off the power 5 and combine upper FCS and Group of 5 schools with an FCS type playoff system.

I think only major bowls will remain that are associated to Power 5 for there “playoff”. I would suspect that some marginal companies that sponsored Bowl games might look to not put funds out there for that.

Well unless, companies that have boomed during the pandemic decide to take over other bowls.
Amazon Bowl
Lysol Bowl
Brawny Paper Towels Bowl
Clorox Bowl
X Toilet Paper Brand Bowl!

Honestly, I will just be thrilled to even see a college football game this year! Fingers crossed that can happen and happen safely for all.

You may be correct. But I think it will depend on exactly what the contract language is. All universities of any size have in-house lawyers. I doubt that schools will want to push to litigation, but I could see smaller schools taking a run at getting some settlement money if they have a good a decent argument on the wording of the contract. Getting advice from scientists to delay the start of the season would certainly be legit, but that wouldn't necessarily allow the contract to be terminated. Again, depends on the wording. If the SEC contracts are all like the one cited by Band, those won't have a problem being terminated, I don't think.

Back