• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Top 5 Griz you probably don’t know enough about

alabamagrizzly

Recently their was a post asking for the best/fav Montana football player. Of all the names mentioned, only one was from before our current era of success. It occurred to me that many Griz fans might not know much about some of the names that help build Montana back in the “old day’s”. I felt inspired to come up with a top 5 list of former players that most current fans might know little about or nothing at all, so here’s your history lesson. Please enjoy.

I’m starting with Doug Betters at #5. I know some may raise an eyebrow due to him transferring for his Sr year but I think his credentials and love for Montana give him a pass. He was a dominant D Lineman for the Grizzlies in the mid seventies and went on to have a very decorated NFL career with Miami. He returned to Missoula to help coach and, despite a major injury, still is a very active and giving man. Here’s his bio.

•Born in Lincoln Neb and attended high school in Arlington Heights Illinois where he was an Honorable Mention High School All American.

In college-
•The 6’7” 235 lb DT played at Montana from ‘74-‘76 and then transferred to Nevada in ‘77 for his Sr season, following asst coach John L. Smith.
•An All Big Sky Con selection as a So and was UM’s DL of the year as a Jr.
•Assistant DL coach on Montana’s ‘95 championship team and the ‘96 team.
•Inducted into The University of Montana’s Sports HoF in ‘03 and the Montana state football HoF in ‘18.

In the pros-
•Drafted 6th rd, 163rd pick.
•Played ‘78-‘87.
•1983 NFL DPotY when he tallied up 16 sacks and 4 fum rec.
•A One time All Pro(‘83) and two time Pro Bowler(‘83, ‘84).
•Started in 2 Super Bowls in ‘82 and ‘84.
•Started 105 of 146 career games, recording 64.5 career sacks(46.5 officially due to sack records not counted until ‘81), and 6 fum rec.
•Inducted into Miami’s Ring of Honor on Dec 14, 2008.

After football-
•In 1985 he started a charity that has provided over 2 million dollars to childeren in need of medical care.
•Guided flyfishing on the Clarkfork and class 4 rapids on the Lochsa in Idaho after retirement.
•In 1998 he suffered a spinal cord injury partially paralyzing him while skiing at Whitefish, which is also where he still lives since 2014.
•In 2002 he received the Big Brothers and Sisters of Montana Award.

Milt Popovich
(1915-2005), also known as the Butte Bomber was an exceptional athlete from Butte who did great things at Montana, had a decent NFL career, and lived a modest life afterwards back home in Butte. If you don’t know much about him, you should. Here’s his bio.

•Born in Butte where he also attended high school.
•While at Butte he competed in football, basketball, and track earning 6 letters his Jr and Sr years. His BBall teams were state champs in ‘32 and ‘33 and track state champs in ‘33. Named 1st Team All State RB both years and All State BBall and track in ‘33.
•Inducted into Buttes inaugural Sports HoF class in 1987.

In college-
•Star RB for the Grizzlies from ‘35-‘37.
•Known for playing well against the cats, he took 2 PR’s for TD’s in ‘36 leading to a 3 game career total of 720 yards and 4 TD’s vs the rival.
•Led UM to a 7-1 record in ‘37 earning All American and All Pacific Coast Con(PAC 12) honers. 3rd Team All Con as a So in ‘35 and 2nd Team honors as a Jr in ‘36.
•Owns the unbreakable school record of a 102 yard KR(yards inside the goal line are no longer counted).
•Played in the ‘38 East/West Shrine game(0-0 tie) where he set a game record with a 67 yard punt return(now broken).
•Also earned 3 letters in track for hurdles and shot put.
•Inducted into the U of M’s Football HoF in the inaugural class of ‘82 and the schools Sports HoF inaugural class of ‘93.
•In 2000, he was chosen by Sports Illistrated as one of the 50 “Greatest Sports Figures of the Century” from each of the 50 states, coming in at 23 for the state.

In the pros-
•Drafted 1938 in the 2nd rd, 15th overall pick by the Chicago Cardinals(Arizona Cardinals).
•Played HB for Chi from ‘38-‘42.
•Totaled 233 rush yrds and 71 rec yrds in 43 games(7 starts). Was also 5/6 passing for 52 yrds in his 2nd season and recorded a defensive INT his last year in the league. He also punted booting the ball 35 times for a 37.7 yard avg. His lone TD came on a fum recovery.
•Ended career as player/coach for the Seattle Bombers in 1944 where he was the starting HB. The team only existed one year and finished 5-5-1 in a league on the Pacific Coast during WW2.

After football-
•Worked for Butte’s city fire department for 27 years, retiring in ‘73.
•One of his daughters would win Miss Montana.

Milan “Sheriff” Lazetich
was a Montana native and a star two-way NFL football player. While he only played his Fr year at Montana, he carried home with him everywhere he went until he returned after retiring. I’m sure many have heard the Lazetich name but few know much about Milan. Here’s his bio.

•Born in 1921 in Anaconda Mt where he also attended high school, earning All State tackle honors from ‘38-‘40.
•Died in Butte in 1969 at the age of 47.

In college-
•In 1942 spring game, he took a KR 90 yards for a TD.
•He only played one year for the Griz before joining the Navy in WW2.
•After a medical discharge, he returned to Montana and worked as a Deputy Sheriff in Deer Lodge, earning a life long nickname that’d come with his fame.
•After being recruited to Michigan(the other UM) in ‘44, he earned 2nd Team All American and 1st Team All Big 10 honors as a Tackle.

In the pros-
•After playing only two years of college football, he was dafted in 1945 in the 2nd round with the 16th pick by the Cleveland Rams.
•Played for the Cleveland/Los Angeles Rams from ‘45-‘50.
•In 1945 he played in 10 games, starting the final seven games for the NFL Champion Rams team as a rookie.
•He earned All Pro honors in ‘48 and ‘49 as an offensive guard and at linebacker.
•During his six years with the Rams he played in 59 games, starting in 23. On defense he recorded 2 INT’s and 9 fum recoveries.
•In 1949 he played a small part in the movie Easy Living during a football scene.

After football-
•After retiring, he returned to Deer Logde and worked as a court bailiff and a surveyor for the Highway Department.

Terry Dillon
was an amazing athlete starting at RB and S for the Griz. His bright NFL future and life was cut short after just one season in the league. You may have seen his retired number but don’t know much about him. Here’s his bio.

•Born in Hopkins Minnesota.

In college-
•Started at RB and S for the Grizzlies from ‘60-‘62.
•Finished his rushing career at UM with 1,569 yards(currently 16th but Marcus Knight should pass him w/in 5-6 games, maybe sooner).
•Led the Griz in scoring and tackles his Sr year.
•1962 All American and played in the East/West Shrine game that year where he made an INT.
•1961 All Skyline Con Honorable Mention as a Jr. Starting safety as a So when Montana had the 2nd ranked pass D in the nation.
•From ‘62-‘69, he was Montana’s single season rushing yards record holder and at the time of his graduation he was 23 yards short of the career record(Dick Imer ‘54) which wasn’t broken until ‘78.
•Charter member of the Grizzly Football HoF in ‘93.
•His #22 jersey is one of only two numbers retired at Montana(#15 being the other).

In the pros-
•Drafted by Oakland of the AFL but signed with Minnesota in the NFL.
•Started at safety as a rookie the final 7 games in 1963 for the Minnesota Vikings and was expected to continue starting the next year.

After football-
•Died in May of 1964, in the spring after his rookie season in the NFL, drowning in the Clark Fork after falling from a bridge while working on it.
•Minnesota would introduce The Terry Dillon Award in ‘65 which symbolized Dillon's qualities of dedication, self-sacrifice and ability. Montana gives the same award to the best offensive back/receiver on the team each year.

“Wild” Bill Kelly
might be the greatest QB to ever play at Montana. Ok, that might be a stretch but he definitely played a huge part on putting the Grizzlies on the map nationally and was considered one of the best in the country continuing on to his NFL career, which tragically ended early much like Terry Dillon’s. If you don’t know about Bill and what he meant to Montana, you need to educate yourself. Here’s his bio to get you started.

•Born in Denver Col in 1905.
•Moved to Butte in 1909 and Missoula shortly after that.
•Attended Missoula County High School(Sentinel) from 1919-1922.
•Two time All State QB in ‘21 and ‘22 and led Missoula to its first state championship as a Jr and helped Missoula win it’s first state championship in basketball as a Sr.
•In May of 1923 before his Fr year at Montana, he sparred four rounds with Heavyweight title contender Tommy Gibbons in Missoula before Tommy’s Title fight with Jack Dempsey in Shelby Mt. Gibbons, who had won 48 of his 56 victories by KO, did not knock Kelly down once and was forced to stay on the defensive most the fight due to Kelly’s aggressiveness.

In college-
•Was offered $75 a month “to work” by some local business owners to choose Montana over Notre Dame, essentially making him Montana’s 1st scholarship athlete. He attended Montana from ‘23-‘26.
•Kelly’s frosh Griz team(called the cubs then) finished 5-0 and out scored their opponents by an average score of 43-4, most of that on the legs and arm of Kelly who played QB. At the time, Montana played in the Northwest Con but by Dec of ‘23, the Pacific Coast Con(PAC 12) invited Montana to join, largely due to Kelly’s growing fame.
•As a So, Kelly scored 12 TD’s while being named to Honorable Mention All American, one TD off the nations leader, Red Grange. Walter Camp, who was notorious for not picking western players for his All American teams, called him the best back in the West. One of his most famous moments that year was vs Washington were he took a KR back for a TD only to have it called back for a penalty just to return the ensuing kick 75 yards for a TD again.
•Named All Con as a Jr and 2nd team All American as a Sr while leading the Pacific Coast Con in scoring.
•Played in the East/West Shrine game as a Sr, scoring the only TD of the game by finding Montana teammate Russ Sweet for an 80 yard TD on 4th down. That stood as a record for 90 years until Vernon Adams broke it in 2016 with a 93 yard toss. He also recorded an INT on defense.
•He ended his Griz career with 31 TD’s which was unofficially the school record tell Yo Humphrey broke it, nearly 80 years later. He still holds the Griz record for longest run from scrimmage at 88 yards.
•Also played basketball at UM from ‘25-‘26 and baseball ‘25-‘27.
•Voted into the College Football HoF in 1969, being the lone member from Montana until Dave Dickenson’s recent enshrinement.
•Inaugural member of the Grizzly HoF(‘93).

In the pros-
•In 1927, he started at QB while also playing halfback and fullback for the New York Yankees football team as a rookie, playing in 11 games and sharing the backfield with the great Red Grange.
•Kelly would play for four years starting 36 of 56 games he played in before his untimely passing. He continued to play for the NY Yankees in ‘28, then went on to the Frankford Yellow Jackets in ‘29 and the Brooklyn Dodgers Football team in ‘30.
•He had six rushing TD’s and 23 passing TD’s in his NFL career. He also returned an INT for a TD.
•Elected to National Football Foundation HoF in 1969.

After football-
•Died at the too early age of 26 in 1931 while preparing for the ‘31 football season. He died of acute alcoholism and coronary sclerosis due to heavy drinking during most his life.

That was great! Thank you. I remember when the Dolphins had that great defense in the early 80s that he was part of. The Killer "B's" because so many of them had last names that began with B.

What a great post! Thanks so much for the info. I enjoyed reading it and wanted to share a moment I shared with Doug Betters. I am a lifelong Dolphins fan and was lucky enough to be able to go to Canton for Dan Marino's Hall of Fame Induction. Marino of course is very popular with Dolphins fans but also the players. Marino's HOF weekend in Canton was well attended by a ton of former and current (at the time) Dolphins' greats. I got to meet the owner of the team at the time, Wayne Huzeinga, as well as dozens of former and current players and altough I didn't get to talk to Marino I got lots of upclose pictures of him posing with his NFL HOF bust. It was a Bucket List trip for me for sure and one that I will always remember. The best part, however, turned out to be when I got to meet Doug Betters. Doug was in a long line of former Dolphins players who were rowed up to meet fans. Zero cost for the meet and greet with autographs and hand shakes and smiles and pictures. As I was slowly moving through the line I saw in the distance a man in a wheelchair and I knew right off it was Doug Betters. I was immediately amped up to meet my all-time favorite football player....a Dolphins/Griz player. As I approached him I leaned in and looked him in the eye and said "GO GRIZ!" Man did his eyes light up! "GO GRIZ back atchya," he bellered loudly. "Where you from?" When I said Sidney he grunted and said "Oooohhhh.....FOOTBALL COUNTRY! You play on any of those state championship teams back in the day?" "Hell Yeah! First one in 1982," I said. "You guys had a hell of a coach in Gear," Betters said and I responded back that Mr. Gear is in Canton today receiving an award from the National High School Coaches Association. "Well, he deserves it," Doug said. I thanked him for his time with the Griz and with the Dolphins and told him he was my favorite player. He smiled big again. I had to move along as the line was long and people were waiting but that minute or so with Doug Betters is one of my fondest football memories of all time!

Griz90 said:
What a great post! Thanks so much for the info. I enjoyed reading it and wanted to share a moment I shared with Doug Betters. I am a lifelong Dolphins fan and was lucky enough to be able to go to Canton for Dan Marino's Hall of Fame Induction. Marino of course is very popular with Dolphins fans but also the players. Marino's HOF weekend in Canton was well attended by a ton of former and current (at the time) Dolphins' greats. I got to meet the owner of the team at the time, Wayne Huzeinga, as well as dozens of former and current players and altough I didn't get to talk to Marino I got lots of upclose pictures of him posing with his NFL HOF bust. It was a Bucket List trip for me for sure and one that I will always remember. The best part, however, turned out to be when I got to meet Doug Betters. Doug was in a long line of former Dolphins players who were rowed up to meet fans. Zero cost for the meet and greet with autographs and hand shakes and smiles and pictures. As I was slowly moving through the line I saw in the distance a man in a wheelchair and I knew right off it was Doug Betters. I was immediately amped up to meet my all-time favorite football player....a Dolphins/Griz player. As I approached him I leaned in and looked him in the eye and said "GO GRIZ!" Man did his eyes light up! "GO GRIZ back atchya," he bellered loudly. "Where you from?" When I said Sidney he grunted and said "Oooohhhh.....FOOTBALL COUNTRY! You play on any of those state championship teams back in the day?" "Hell Yeah! First one in 1982," I said. "You guys had a hell of a coach in Gear," Betters said and I responded back that Mr. Gear is in Canton today receiving an award from the National High School Coaches Association. "Well, he deserves it," Doug said. I thanked him for his time with the Griz and with the Dolphins and told him he was my favorite player. He smiled big again. I had to move along as the line was long and people were waiting but that minute or so with Doug Betters is one of my fondest football memories of all time!

Awesome story, very cool to have a moment like that. Even more cool to meet someone you look up to like that and find out that they’re pretty cool people and not a complete asshat. Thanks for sharing.

Back